Wiki Posts
Search

Ecuador -- luxury venues and experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:15 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Did you do this trip and do you have any comments about your Coca/Napo river experience? I'm off to a nearby lodge, Sacha, next week, followed by Mashpi, then Galapagos Islands - Macmyday's least fave place in the world.
Yasuni National Park was fabulous. We saw 5 different species of monkeys, Giant River Otters, a massive (>7 meters long and massively thick) Anaconda, fished for Piranha, observed Parrots, Parakeets and Macaws at 2 different Clay Licks, visited a local community, hiked numerous trails in the jungle, went on two night walk in search of the creepy crawlies, and climbed up to the top of a canopy tower to see sloths and a variety of colorful birds. We travelled with friends & family, and booked a private guide and private transfers.

Logistics were a breeze. NWC arranged for the flight from Quito to Coca (Puerto Francisco de Orellana), met us at Coca Airport, drove us to the boat dock and then we were on our way. Ditto for the return.

Napo and Sacha (and Sani) are quite spread out and are in slightly different environments, so your experience (activities, wildlife spotting, etc.) may be a bit different.

Visiting the Amazon basin, perhaps more than anywhere else, is a truly humbling experience. It's nature at its most remote, enchanting and pristine (and very hostile to human habitation, what with almost every living thing out there - including Electric Eels to Caimans to Bullet Ants to Fer-de-lance Snake to the particularly fearsome Brazilian Wandering Spider - capable of dishing out serious harm.) At the same time, it's a reminder that human encroachment knows no limits - oil in particular accelerates this process. On the way to NWC (and Sacha and Sani Lodges) you'll see large barges carrying oil up and down the Napo River (especially around Coca itself), and much of the forest is secondary (except the area around and inside Yasuni N.P.)

We're headed back to the Amazon this November on board Aqua Expeditions' Aria cruise boat for the second time. We were able to reserve a private guide for all of our outings, so we're good to go!

Photo album is here.

You can find some of the videos from the trip here.
KatW, SanDiego1K and mike_la_jolla like this.

Last edited by KI-NRT; Jan 11, 2019 at 4:54 pm
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:39 am

When we went on our 2017 South America trip we stayed in Guayaquil before and after out trip to the Galapagos. We had a a mix of private and group guides in the Galapagos. Group on the island stops and a private guide on the land tours. I prefer private guides when available. I ask a lot of questions, and don’t feel I prevent others from asking questions, or monopolizing the guide, if we go private. I love the flexibility with the private guides.
I did find Guayaquil charming, and loved the park with all the iguanas. It would have been a nightmare if I was dreaming.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
Visiting the Amazon basin, perhaps more than anywhere else, is a truly humbling experience. It's nature at its most remote, enchanting and pristine . . .
Thanks so much for that. We're already pretty excited about this trip and you have heightened our anticipation. You have a great set of photos there and I am especially impressed by your sighting of an anaconda. I long for their warm embrace. Thanks again.

Oh, one question - did you take any special precautions about your camera gear in view of the massive levels of humidity and general dampness?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:55 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Oh, one question - did you take any special precautions about your camera gear in view of the massive levels of humidity and general dampness?
When in humid and hot environments (such as the Amazon), I usually make sure to seal my equipment in a water-tight bag before going outdoors, then allow at least 30 minutes for the gear to safely warm up to the outside temperature. However, at Yasuni N.P. it was not super humid/hot, so I did not take this precaution. I just made sure not to switch lenses, since that's one of the actions that can potentially cause the most damage. I carried two SLRs - one had a wide-angle zoom lens, while a telephoto lens was permanently affixed to the second body.

P.S. - we were in the Danum Valley in Borneo last month, and it was far more humid, and I took far more aggressive measures to protect my equipment. Another guest staying there had some sort of fungal matter grow on his camera's sensor.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:21 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I very much enjoyed Sacha lodge. Super rustic, but our guide was great and the activities were super. We ended up with a private guide since we traveled as a familiy unlike most of the couples. Night walks, pirhrana fishing, the canopy walk... not luxury but way more fun than most amans for us
Pausanias likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
When in humid and hot environments (such as the Amazon), I usually make sure to seal my equipment in a water-tight bag before going outdoors, then allow at least 30 minutes for the gear to safely warm up to the outside temperature. However, at Yasuni N.P. it was not super humid/hot, so I did not take this precaution. I just made sure not to switch lenses, since that's one of the actions that can potentially cause the most damage. I carried two SLRs - one had a wide-angle zoom lens, while a telephoto lens was permanently affixed to the second body.
Many thanks for that. I've read that our lodge, Sacha, provides some sort of 'dry box' in every room for electronic equipment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.