Reload this Page >

Fire at Gili Lankanfushi, Maldives

Old Jan 3, 19, 3:05 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios

There was a big fire at Gili Lankanfashi in the Maldives last night; apparently everyone was evacuated safely.

We stayed two years ago, such a beautiful place, and I'm very sad to hear what happened.

Last edited by SilverSpoon; Jan 3, 19 at 9:33 am
Old Jan 3, 19, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
We were supposed to be going in February, combined with Cocoa Island. It's very sad news, but so glad to hear everyone is OK.
Old Jan 3, 19, 8:20 am

Very sad. We stayed there last January. It was a magical place. Hoping that reports stating that only seven residences were destroyed is true. Glad that all were evacuated safely.
Old Jan 6, 19, 5:54 am

its a miracle no one was injured
Old Jan 7, 19, 10:11 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
News story and videos here. Looks pretty scary!

https://maldivesindependent.com/busi...-villas-143341
Old Jan 8, 19, 11:28 am

We were there exactly this time last year. it’s pretty scary thinking about how fast the fire can spread. Except for the freestanding villas that are in the water the other over water villas are on connected wooden piers. There is so much thatch. The floors were all wooden. I didn’t even look to see if there were sprinklers in the ceiling.
I hope that they can rebuild, it was so beautiful.
Old Jan 9, 19, 2:46 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by extramileage View Post
News story and videos here. Looks pretty scary!

https://maldivesindependent.com/busi...-villas-143341
Very sad indeed! A great relief that everyone is save and sound. One of my most favourite beach resorts worldwide. We have fond memories of the Japanese restaurant during our stays there in 2016 and 2017. In the Villas there are no sprinklers but smoke detectors IIRC.

I won‘t be affected in my upcoming Maldives trip by the resort closure as with baby child in tow now, a pure, open-plan Overwater Villa resort like this one is now off my list for the foreseeable future.

Based on the related posts in your article, partial resort fires in the Maldives do not seem to be so uncommon (i.e. Niyama in 2018)...not to mention the gruesome encounter near Soneva Jani in the other link’s post.
Old Jan 10, 19, 6:26 pm

Damn, I have a trip booked here for early July. I contacted them and this was the response in regards to assisting existing bookings:

We will be extending three options for all guests with future bookings. Our assistance for the search of alternative accommodation will be for as long as required.
For guests who would like to proceed with their visit, we will assist in every way we can to arrange alternative accommodation.
For guests who wish to withdraw their booking, we will proceed with a full refund for their stay.
For guests who wish to visit Gili Lankanfushi, we will hold your booking till further notice when the resort reopens.

Currently we have following resorts collaborating with us:

· Huvafen
· Soneva Fushi
· Six Senses Laamu
· Four Seasons Resorts
· Anantara Kihavah
· Cocoa
· Maalifushi by Como
· St. Regis (seaplane paid by Gili)
Old Jan 10, 19, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Falimz View Post
Damn, I have a trip booked here for early July. I contacted them and this was the response in regards to assisting existing bookings:

We will be extending three options for all guests with future bookings. Our assistance for the search of alternative accommodation will be for as long as required.
For guests who would like to proceed with their visit, we will assist in every way we can to arrange alternative accommodation.
For guests who wish to withdraw their booking, we will proceed with a full refund for their stay.
For guests who wish to visit Gili Lankanfushi, we will hold your booking till further notice when the resort reopens.

Currently we have following resorts collaborating with us:

· Huvafen
· Soneva Fushi
· Six Senses Laamu
· Four Seasons Resorts
· Anantara Kihavah
· Cocoa
· Maalifushi by Como
· St. Regis (seaplane paid by Gili)
We stayed last year at Gili Lankanfushi and then Como Maalifushi. Como Maalifushi had a more modern room design and a plunge pool. The a/c was in all of the suite. Gili had only a/c in the bedroom. I loved both places. That is great that they give you so many options.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 11, 19, 3:22 am

For those with reservations, you could negotiate seriously discounted FS stay, as Gili Lankanfushi is also owned by HPL. Wonder why HPL decided to run independent after taking over from Soneva.

Some FS owners have run some hotels independently or under different management, for example Albwardy chose PH in Zanzibar -- unlikely FS would have been able to run hotel in similar fashion.

Gili Lankanfushi closure might last a year, depending on restaurant progress.
Old Jan 11, 19, 6:21 am

I belive only the Japanese restarurant caught fire and was destroyed. They had two other dining areas. The building holding the Japanese restaurant also held the small workout room. Then they also have to rebuild the villas that were destroyed. Big job.
Old Jan 11, 19, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

makes me wonder about safety... of course the one thing in maldives in terms of fire, they are small islands with overwater villas and boats, some boating distance to airports. (and around airports especially capital will have many first responders and navy assets)

Originally Posted by Falimz View Post
· Six Senses Laamu [same owner]
· Four Seasons Resorts [same owner]
· Maalifushi by Como [same owner]
· Cocoa [same owner]

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 11, 19 at 12:30 pm
Old Jan 11, 19, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
makes me wonder about safety... of course the one thing in maldives in terms of fire, they are small islands with overwater villas and boats, some boating distance to airports. (and around airports especially capital will have many first responders and navy assets)
You bring up a really good point. Between fire safety and overall personal safety (e.g. the horrendous situation at Six Senses Seychelles), as well as the thread awhile back about safety from pirates/terrorists at Amanpulo, I do wonder how good resorts are at handling this sort of thing.

I had a health scare at Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay. Woke up at 3am with chest pains, and within 10 min they had an ambulance on site and doctor in the room. All turned out fine, but that was in an area surrounded by hospitals. What happens if you have a fire, health scare, etc. at some of the more remote resorts? My hope would be that if I'm paying $1,000-$3,000 per night for a standard room that management would have taken these sorts of things into consideration...but is that a naive viewpoint?

I will say that when I was returning to Manila after my stay at Pulo the only other people on the plane were some of Pulo's pilots. I asked about the plane situation and they said Pulo keeps a spare plane on the island at all times in case they need to evac guests...
Old Jan 12, 19, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by nmuva98 View Post
You bring up a really good point. Between fire safety and overall personal safety (e.g. the horrendous situation at Six Senses Seychelles), as well as the thread awhile back about safety from pirates/terrorists at Amanpulo, I do wonder how good resorts are at handling this sort of thing.

I had a health scare at Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay. Woke up at 3am with chest pains, and within 10 min they had an ambulance on site and doctor in the room. All turned out fine, but that was in an area surrounded by hospitals. What happens if you have a fire, health scare, etc. at some of the more remote resorts? My hope would be that if I'm paying $1,000-$3,000 per night for a standard room that management would have taken these sorts of things into consideration...but is that a naive viewpoint?

I will say that when I was returning to Manila after my stay at Pulo the only other people on the plane were some of Pulo's pilots. I asked about the plane situation and they said Pulo keeps a spare plane on the island at all times in case they need to evac guests...
Most resorts (luxury at least) have to have procedures in place. Pulo is very well organized in that regard and despite current problems can't see why this would have changed. Pulo has a resident doctor (Dr. Ron). He made a "house call" for me when I had a problem with my ear after diving and also visited his casita for a small procedure.

Many Maldives resorts have speed boats available to take guests to Malé in case of incidents which cannot be handled on property.
Old Jan 12, 19, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re pulo, ignore the old news story

pulo and bali could not be more different vs maldives overall

island size (few big) and density (no low) is issue in maldives
FlyerEC likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 12, 19 at 3:50 pm

Search this Thread