Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Six Senses - can they be described as true luxury?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:47 am
Original Poster

I did a search on the forum but no particular Six Senses general thread that I could find.

I am in love with Six Senses hotels. The Zighy Bay property in Oman and Ninh Van Bay in Vietnam are 2 of the best hotel resorts anywhere in the world, IMO.

But is there consistency across their hotels worldwide? And do people consider Six Senses to be a more barefoot luxury version of Aman/Ritz Carlton Reserve?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:27 am

For the most part, I think so. Soneva unquestionably is very high end. I love back-to-nature type of resorts that are designed with a maximum of sustainability and a minimum of environmental impact as possible, so they are perfect for me. Gili Lankanfushi also qualifies, of course.

I don’t consider them to be a “version” of any other resort group, but it is true that the service level could be considered similar to the groups you mention.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Mar 2, 2018 at 9:23 am
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

They are their own brand for better or worse. Not a carbon copy of anyone else. SS is luxury for the most part.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
They are very special. I only visited Ninh Van Bay and while I was not overly enthusiastic it was definitively luxury IMO.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:40 am

I think you have to understand the history behind SS. Originally, the brand was created by Sonu & Eva Shivdasani, with Soneva Fushi as the first resort. Allegedly they went bankrupt and the resorts were, mostly, aquired by Pegasus Capital who brought in a dream team of hoteliers to revitalise and grow the brand. These included Neil Jacobs (ex FS and Starwood Capital), Wolf Hengst (ex FS), Anna Bjurstam (Raison d'Etre Spas) and Henry Gray (Amanesorts).

Gili Langkanfushi was bought by BS Ong and is now independently run. The original Shivdasani properties were upgraded, but many still do not live up to the 'luxury' label. The first 'new' property was Six Senses Douro Valley, which demonstrates the way forward for Six Senses.

Sonu Shivdasani retained Soneva Fushi and Soneva Kiri in Thailand and then went on to open Soneva Jani in the Maldives. These resorts have nothing to do with Six Senses now.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 11:08 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Curious when Bhutan will open. I have a feeling that will be true luxury. Mark Swinton (ex Aman) is apparently still in charge.

Hopefully pricing is more competitive than Amankora, which is price prohibitive for me at least.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:00 pm

Bhutan opens in January. I'm in touch with the GM because I've been trying to go for quite some time. No rates yet but should certainly be less then the Amans.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Six Senses are opening quite a lot of new resorts in 2018.

I think the Fiji property is already open, Kaplankaya re-opens soon, Singapore Duxton, Bhutan, and Uluwatu Bali are all very close to opening too. Shaharat in Israel before winter too.

But the reason for my question in the OP, let's take Six Senses Duxton for example - can a small property like that very close to Chinatown ever be considered true luxury? Boutique, yes, niche yes, but luxury?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:00 pm

Yea, but six senses Fiji is a ripoff.
It commands the same price as Zil Payson and the rooms are small along with the pools.
The villas are incredibly nice though.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:50 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Food and service at the Six Senses Yao Noi could not be considered luxury, no.
synd likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by A4K
Curious when Bhutan will open. I have a feeling that will be true luxury. Mark Swinton (ex Aman) is apparently still in charge.

Hopefully pricing is more competitive than Amankora, which is price prohibitive for me at least.

from what i‘ve heard, they will position themselves higher than Aman.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
For the beginning...... We must see how they devolop.....
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by SaVa
Originally Posted by offerendum
For the beginning...... We must see how they devolop.....
Exactly. That is a bold claim re higher than Aman. We shall have to see how it turns out.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SaVa

That's going to be a tall order.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by A4K

I have been waiting for this property to open since 2016. Booked a trip to Bhutan for those tshechus in March 2016 based on their projected date. Looks like it is going to be delayed by 3 years, and maybe more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.