Yachting in Seychelles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by heb999
in the Seychelles only French was spoken
Not my experience. I didnīt meet many persons who didnīt speak English. Official languages are English, French and Creole (most important).
Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Sorry, I should have said that on the cruise all the other passengers were French and so all conversation on the boat was in French. I was not implying that only French was spoken in the Seychelles.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the perspective heb. It seems like a fairly unique way to visit, but I have difficulty getting my head around the idea of rough seas and how that could effect us physically given the short itinerary. For this trip, we're going the more traditional route of hotels on Mahe and La Digue. But, I know Dream Yacht Charters has a pretty big presence in the Caribbean, so I may surprise the missus with a yacht trip next year. Thanks again for the help!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Isavethings
Thanks for the perspective heb. It seems like a fairly unique way to visit, but I have difficulty getting my head around the idea of rough seas and how that could effect us physically given the short itinerary. For this trip, we're going the more traditional route of hotels on Mahe and La Digue. But, I know Dream Yacht Charters has a pretty big presence in the Caribbean, so I may surprise the missus with a yacht trip next year. Thanks again for the help!
If you visit Caribbean it might be another thing. At La Digue it is not easy to find a hotel which can be called luxury.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
If you visit Caribbean it might be another thing. At La Digue it is not easy to find a hotel which can be called luxury.
Yep, you're right. As an aside, I found a new hotel on La Digue that looks to be pretty nice.....Le Nautique Waterfront Hotel. I'm having difficulty finding reviews, but the pictures look nice and its sister property in Mahe seems to be enjoyed by folks. Not necessarily luxury, but seems to be about as good as it gets in La Digue.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Isavethings
Yep, you're right. As an aside, I found a new hotel on La Digue that looks to be pretty nice.....Le Nautique Waterfront Hotel. I'm having difficulty finding reviews, but the pictures look nice and its sister property in Mahe seems to be enjoyed by folks. Not necessarily luxury, but seems to be about as good as it gets in La Digue.
Didnīt know IKEA-furniture is available on Seychelles Canīt say something about the hotels but generally you must be careful with reviews regarding Seychelles Hotels. Like Maledives and other Honeymoon-destinations they are often very positive as there are many "once in a lifetime" travelers.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:19 am
Suspended

As a long time sailor, I find it is always difficult to answer questions for a 'newbe' so to speak. For example, re seasickness, some people have no issues at all even in the roughest seas while others are hanging over the railings depositing their lunch into the sea at the slightest ripple in the water. Under certain conditions also, even the hardiest sailor may upchuck lunch if they have a hangover from last night. So there is no answer to that question. It is one of those things where the only way to find out is to try it. If you have never done any actual sailing (as in on a sailboat) before, then like many other things, the best way to start is in small doses. So a half-day excursion while on a vacation for example.

You are also looking at a catamaran, not a monohull. A cat is inherently more stable by design. Some people love them, some hate them for various reasons that won't really matter to you unless you become an avid sailor.

In terms of the actual boat layout you are looking at, note the cabins right up in the bow(front) of the two hulls. https://www.dreamyachtcharter.com/fl...-82-16004/?b=2 A boat is subject to 'pitch, roll, and yaw'.. A cat avoids some roll and yaw but can 'pitch' as much as a monohull. That means movement up and down from front to rear of the boat. Like riding a wooden rocking horse. The most movement will be found (simple physics to see why) in the stern and bow of a boat. So in looking at cabin assignment, you want a cabin in the middle. In even a moderate sea state, those in the bow and stern will move the most. It can be very hard to sleep in the bow when it is crashing down (literally) into a wave every 10 seconds.

Sailing vacations can be one of the most rewarding vacations someone can have but they are not a floating hotel (I don't count cruise ships at all as being a 'sailing' anything). A sailing vacation is not for someone who thinks it is just a moving hotel. Really, it is for people who have an interest in sailing. There are just too many things that differ and unless you want those differences, there is no point doing it.

If you want to look into sailing vacations, then start small and work your way up. Some of the best sailing in the world for a sailing vacation is found in the British Virgin Islands and there are plenty of charter boats available there including some as luxurious as anyone could imagine. Of course this does not include 'stinkpots', that's motor yachts to you. Only boats with sails are really about sailing. I suggest the BVI because they have some of the most constant decent winds while also having many places to anchor off many small islands.

If you wanted a luxury charter, have a look at some of the boats here: https://www.ritzycharters.com/?gclid...waApo1EALw_wcB
Isavethings likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
As a long time sailor, I find it is always difficult to answer questions for a 'newbe' so to speak. For example, re seasickness, some people have no issues at all even in the roughest seas while others are hanging over the railings depositing their lunch into the sea at the slightest ripple in the water. Under certain conditions also, even the hardiest sailor may upchuck lunch if they have a hangover from last night. So there is no answer to that question. It is one of those things where the only way to find out is to try it. If you have never done any actual sailing (as in on a sailboat) before, then like many other things, the best way to start is in small doses. So a half-day excursion while on a vacation for example.

You are also looking at a catamaran, not a monohull. A cat is inherently more stable by design. Some people love them, some hate them for various reasons that won't really matter to you unless you become an avid sailor.

In terms of the actual boat layout you are looking at, note the cabins right up in the bow(front) of the two hulls. https://www.dreamyachtcharter.com/fl...-82-16004/?b=2 A boat is subject to 'pitch, roll, and yaw'.. A cat avoids some roll and yaw but can 'pitch' as much as a monohull. That means movement up and down from front to rear of the boat. Like riding a wooden rocking horse. The most movement will be found (simple physics to see why) in the stern and bow of a boat. So in looking at cabin assignment, you want a cabin in the middle. In even a moderate sea state, those in the bow and stern will move the most. It can be very hard to sleep in the bow when it is crashing down (literally) into a wave every 10 seconds.

Sailing vacations can be one of the most rewarding vacations someone can have but they are not a floating hotel (I don't count cruise ships at all as being a 'sailing' anything). A sailing vacation is not for someone who thinks it is just a moving hotel. Really, it is for people who have an interest in sailing. There are just too many things that differ and unless you want those differences, there is no point doing it.

If you want to look into sailing vacations, then start small and work your way up. Some of the best sailing in the world for a sailing vacation is found in the British Virgin Islands and there are plenty of charter boats available there including some as luxurious as anyone could imagine. Of course this does not include 'stinkpots', that's motor yachts to you. Only boats with sails are really about sailing. I suggest the BVI because they have some of the most constant decent winds while also having many places to anchor off many small islands.

If you wanted a luxury charter, have a look at some of the boats here: https://www.ritzycharters.com/?gclid...waApo1EALw_wcB
This is excellent information....thanks for the feedback! Based on your expertise, I think a better bet would be to stay in a hotel in Seychelles.

Our trip is really 3 parts; Seychelles, Malta and Paris. That said, Malta may be a better starting point for us- there are a lot of yacht choices and the waters seem to be calm that time of year. I will, however, take sailing around BVI into consideration for next year.

Thanks again...I learned quite a bit from your post. Cheers!
Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Malta may indeed be a good place to try a day sail as a first step. I don't know what is available there specifically but in many tourist areas in the Med, there are boats in the local harbour who take tourists out for a day. A bit of sailing, anchor to do some swimming/snorkeling; move on a bit farther, anchor for swimming again and a light lunch served on board (usually cold food); sail back to the starting point and your day is done. Watch out for the sun burn, it comes faster on a boat because of the reflection from the water.

Something like this maybe (i'm not recommending this particular boat, it's just an example I found). Spirit of Malta Full Day Cruise - Spirit of Malta Full Day Cruise will show you Malta in its beauty

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.