Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Yachting in Seychelles

Yachting in Seychelles

Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Yachting in Seychelles

Hi all, I'm new here and am hoping you guys could give me some help. I originally posted this in the Africa forum and was advised to post here as well. I appreciate any advice you can offer!

I'm surprising my wife with a trip to the Seychelles in the middle of August. We'll be spending 6 nights, though our flight arrives very late, so the trip is effectively 5 nights.

As part of the trip, I'm considering booking a 3 night By The Cabin yacht charter through Dream Yacht Charters. The specific itinerary starts in Mahe, goes to La Digue and ends in Praslin....seems like a great alternative way to see several islands on a tight timeline. The ship is 82 feet with 12 double cabins. I can't post links yet, so I apologize that I'm not pointing you to the site. So, on to my questions!

1) I understand that seas can be lively in August. Is this something I should be concerned about on a yacht? I'd hate for either of us to get sea sick, though neither of us tend to get motion sickness.
2) has anyone had experience with Dream Yacht Charters or this type of cruise in the Seychelles? If so, what did you think? I'm having difficulty finding reviews of the company and this seems like a red flag.
3) anything you guys think I should consider before booking?

Thanks for the help!!

Last edited by Isavethings; Feb 12, 2018 at 8:59 am
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Which islands would you see?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:13 am
Original Poster

The itinerary is Mahe --> St. Anne Marine Park (overnight) --> Cocos Island --> La Digue (Overnight) --> Cousin --> Praslin

That's a lot of locations, but since the travel is part of the experience, I don't mind. Seems like a good way to see the highlights of Seychelles.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Did you say 24 cabins in an 83 foot boat?? That must be a typo.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Whoops..12 cabins for 24 people! Good catch. Edited OP
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Not really a lot locations in my eyes. Did Cousin and Curiaeuse together with St. Pierre during a relaxed daytrip. Wirh a basic on Praslin it would be very easy to see all islands in the time. Dont see the sense of such a trip. Would expect some more remote places.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by Isavethings
Whoops..12 cabins for 24 people! Good catch. Edited OP
24 people on an 83 foot boat is incredibly cramped. Sorry, no experience with the company you mentioned, but not sure this belongs in a luxury category. That sounds anything but luxury.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the input.

Canuck- I've not spent much time on boats/ships and your answer really gives me all the info I need. Thanks again!
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
It will be bumpy on the seas n August. Lots of wind typically. You can charter a power/fishing boat and go to La Digue for the day from some islands.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:06 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
The Four Seasons on Mahe would offer you a more luxurious experience and give you boating access (ferries, group charters, or private charters) for day trips to all the islands.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Ericka
The Four Seasons on Mahe would offer you a more luxurious experience and give you boating access (ferries, group charters, or private charters) for day trips to all the islands.
Indeed. Would even prefer the Raffles Praslin which is better located for reaching the islands but not as good as FS.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I have sailed with Dream Yacht Charter in Guadeloupe on their 82 ft Cat and have sailed with another company in the Seychelles (sorry I cannot remember the name). Both trips were a few years ago. Neither of the boats was luxurious but they were comfortable and spacious.. Neither of the boats was full when we sailed. The food on the Seychelles charter was mediocre whereas on the Dream Yacht Charter (Guadeloupe) it was good. On neither boat were drinks included and sightseeing excursions were extra. On both boats all the other passengers were French, so it helps if you can speak a little. The Captain on the Dream Yacht Charter was, however, fluent in English but in the Seychelles only French was spoken. In the Seychelles we enjoyed five nights on the boat and then five on Denis Island and then a few more on Mahe. For us it was a great way to see the different islands. I would be happy to answer any other questions.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

heb999, thanks! have you done any other book by cabin or charter?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:08 pm

The most beautiful and important island to see in the Seychelles is the atoll of Aldabra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. I did it by small expedition cruise ship about ten years ago. You can't fly there and there are no hotels, just a ranger station. I don't think there's much point in sailing around the bigger islands with hotels on them.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
heb999, thanks! have you done any other book by cabin or charter?
Yes, we have enjoyed 'by the cabin charter' sailing holidays in the Grenadines, BVIs and Raja Amput, Indonesia besides the Seychelles and Guadeloupe. Looking forward to one this summer in Turkey and would like to do another in the Bahamas sometime.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.