North American Countryside/Wilderness Luxury Venues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

North American Countryside/Wilderness Luxury Venues

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Those both look amazing. Sadly the Bozeman Montana one closes April 7th and the Jackson hole one suffers from indirect flights (our dates are 7-9 April)

I suspect we may just end up sitting on a beach somewhere - just feels like our dates are all wrong for the Rockies!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
What about Montage Palmetto Bluff? Not a ton of discussion here over the past year or two.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:21 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by callmedtop
What about Montage Palmetto Bluff? Not a ton of discussion here over the past year or two.
Looks a bit precious but good for those wanting golf, tennis and yachting.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Any recent stays at Ocean House Rhode Island? Don't think there's a whole lot of discussion on hotels in RI, wondering if anyone can share, thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Originally Posted by callmedtop
We visited Palmetto Bluff in late August out of sheer curiosity about staying in a resort in the middle of a South Carolina marsh (in the summer no less). It was also an easy weekend getaway destination. (Full disclose, as a Virtuoso agent, we were their guests.) We were pleasantly surprised at all it had to offer beyond sitting by the pool, golf and spa treatments. We shot clays, kayaked on the river, went on a really fun boat excursion in the marsh, rode bikes for miles and miles on flat trails, and even bowled. We enjoyed it so much Mr. T and I are taking our daughter and her young family this spring for 5 days. Hilton Head is a half hour way, so we'll probably drive over for a beach day.

Palmetto Bluff reminded me of growing up and safe, carefree simple summer weekends, but in luxury accommodations and good food.

The​​​​The cottages along the river offer a lot of privacy while still being close to the main lodge and village square. They often have suite promotions with a second bedroom free for families (our upcoming trip). While it's an easy drive for us, it's only a half hour from Savannah, which has non-stop service from many major east coast and a few mid west cities. It's by no means wilderness, but a luxury simple Southern lifestyle getaway.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:03 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Any recent stays at Ranch at Rock Creek?
Old May 9, 2018, 3:10 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Oohhhh, intriguing and seductive lodges in Alaska:

Alaska Lodge, Rustic Luxury, Backcountry Adventure - Within The Wild
Old May 9, 2018, 3:27 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Many thanks indeed for highlighting Domaine Madeleine. I'm exploring a respite in Sept/Oct, hoping weather then is less drippy. Hope you will report back here on your stay.

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
We're going to give this place a visit in June. 2 nights at Kalaloch Lodge (which is very rustic), followed by 2 nights at Domaine Madeleine, which is highly regarded.

Not sure what to expect, but everything we've read suggests the hiking trails in and around Hoh Rain Forest is not to be missed.

Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:00 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Old Jul 1, 2018, 1:32 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
KatW's Alaska links look very interesting and I will forward to my son who is considering an Alaska adventure. We are making our first trip to Alaska next month and found that luxury accomodations aren't that easy to find. We will be staying at Camp Denali for part of our trip and then trying a few Lodges in Kenai that they recommended. We also have a night at Mt. Aleyska for our helicopter dog sled adventure. Nothing too luxe but we really love trains and wanted to include them in our itinerary- both the Denali Star and the Coastal Explorer.

This is a really valuable thread as I have found it easy to find luxury accomodations in cities but a little more difficult off the beaten path.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:31 am

Some pictures from our stay in Clayoquot - write-up coming shortly
KatW and SanDiego1K like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:22 am

Thank you for this; very much looking forward to reading your thoughts. Looks like the wildlife is wonderful, and the “hard” product is ... decent?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Thank you for this; very much looking forward to reading your thoughts. Looks like the wildlife is wonderful, and the “hard” product is ... decent?
I suppose it depends what you're comparing it to and what you're after. We saw no orcas, as apparently there's a one in eight trillion chance of that happening, but at least got to see plenty of bears. As for the hard product, it packs a lot in and I cannot say it was not impressive in quite a few areas, but it also really falls short in others - particularly the rooms when you think of how much per night they are and how close together they are to each other. You can hear your neighbours walk around their patios, unzip their tents and some of their conversations, which probably are the same as our conversations: "do you think they can hear us right now?". You will definitely not leave thinking you are in a Singita property. I know this sounds like a negative review is coming, but I assure you it is not - we had a great time and loved the property, it just could be better in quite a few areas. I will recommend it, but I doubt we would go back anytime soon; there's little reason to. Instead it's given us the hunger to try similar properties, most likely Nimmo Bay and Churchill Wild.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:29 pm

Here we go: Review: Clayoquot Wilderness Resort, Vancouver ? The Good, The Bad and The Luxurious
KatW and BESVISOR like this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:14 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Excellent review! Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.