Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

How to go about planning my first African luxury safari?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to go about planning my first African luxury safari?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by wr_schwab
And a 5th.

I used them several years ago to book a trip to Kruger and Victoria Falls. They were more then willing to work with me to design the trip that I wanted. They were also extremely helpful when I arrived in JNB for my onward flight to VFA upon discovering SQ lost my luggage.
And a 6th. They were fantastic and were willing to book only what we needed their help with. And they introduced us to Benguerra Island in Mozambique. Pricey but definitely the best way to kick off our honeymoon.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:32 am

[QUOTE=MacMyDay;28933908]We did our first safari in the Singita Kruger Park lodges last month and had the most incredible time. I'm not going to rank the properties themselves anywhere near the best I've ever been, but the experience was right up there. It was a lot better than I thought it would be and I would highly recommend it.

Singita is definitively one of the (if not the one) highest end lodges in Africa and with price to match, these look beautiful. This particular lodge been on my wishlist for years since I lived in SA
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:18 am
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Don’t use True Africa - Asilia put me in touch with them. Terrible service.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
Hi - sorry to dig up this thread but it seemed relevant to my question.

I have recently received a quote from two different tour operators for 4 nights at the Jamala Madikwe, including Fedair flights from JNB. One price was about $9,900 and the other was slightly over $14,000. The same dates can be booked directly with the lodge and they can book my Fedair flights for me, which comes to about $6,400 (there is a 4th night free promo that gives 4th night for 75% off). Can someone please let me know if I'm totally missing something here? The tour operator prices seem really off the wall even if you figure they are giving me rack rates.

Thanks
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by drewdawg199

I have recently received a quote from two different tour operators for 4 nights at the Jamala Madikwe, including Fedair flights from JNB. One price was about $9,900 and the other was slightly over $14,000. The same dates can be booked directly with the lodge and they can book my Fedair flights for me, which comes to about $6,400 (there is a 4th night free promo that gives 4th night for 75% off). Can someone please let me know if I'm totally missing something here? The tour operator prices seem really off the wall even if you figure they are giving me rack rates.

Thanks
Some lodges/camps refuse to pay commission to travel agents / tour operators on all/some rates (especially certain promotional rates such the 4th night free rate you mention), so a 10%-15% mark-up vs. the lowest promotional rate offered on the internet wouldn't be entirely uncommon.

If the tour operator did an extensive consultation with you, did a good amount of research etc., a 20% mark-up may still be considered reasonable, but anything much more than that sounds like a tour operator trying to take advantage of you.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
Thanks for the feedback. They did no research, I gave them the dates and specific lodge.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:54 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Thanks for the feedback. They did no research, I gave them the dates and specific lodge.
Why don't you ask them... ? since you took the time to get two quotes at least share your feedback with the vendors.
Maybe there is something missing in the math
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:38 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Sometimes it is better to just go direct. We were looking at Tanzania for September this year (but going with family to Italy again instead). Some well known and recommended operators couldn't get close to rates that I got from going direct.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:46 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM

Thanks
Just a few additional thoughts on Madikwe. Also look into Morukuru (private house, private staff, Relais and Chateaux). Trip report:
Trip Report: Morukuru (Madikwe Game Reserve) with Our Son

Also, Madikwe just lost one of their experienced rangers/hotel managers to a bull elephant attack. Very sad story also worth researching....not that it should influence your itinerary...just a reminder that safaris are not zoos.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:14 am

Where can we find good basic information, such as figuring out where and when to go?

Our main interest is seeing lots of large animals, such as elephants, big cats, buffalo, gazelles or other non-predators, etc. A private vehicle for the two of us and spending lots of time out on drives are definite priorities.

Luxury is a lower priority, but we do want to be very comfortable.

I don't have a specific budget or amount of time in mind, as I don't know what the possibilities are.

The suggested resources in this thread seem to involve planning once you know the general area and time you want to go and we are flexible about this.

About 30 years ago we went as part of a group of five friends to Kenya and Tanzania. It was fun, but below a level of comfort I'd find acceptable today. We did see many animals.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:09 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by richarddd
Where can we find good basic information, such as figuring out where and when to go?

Our main interest is seeing lots of large animals, such as elephants, big cats, buffalo, gazelles or other non-predators, etc. A private vehicle for the two of us and spending lots of time out on drives are definite priorities.

Luxury is a lower priority, but we do want to be very comfortable.

I don't have a specific budget or amount of time in mind, as I don't know what the possibilities are.

The suggested resources in this thread seem to involve planning once you know the general area and time you want to go and we are flexible about this.

About 30 years ago we went as part of a group of five friends to Kenya and Tanzania. It was fun, but below a level of comfort I'd find acceptable today. We did see many animals.
We were seeing lots of the animals you mentioned on our May trip many years ago to the Okavango Delta . We started with seeing / visiting Victoria Falls and stayed in newly opened Toka Leya Lodge then - loved it . Great sundowners on the Zambezi Think may have mentioned it on some other thread . Then flew to Okavango Delta - thing viewed Jao but stayed elsewhere , cannot recall where though had good meals . Comfortable enough . Also Kings Pool which was ok .
Saw few hunts - lions , etc , leopards a few times & lots of birds too . Helps if you bring a pair of binoculars .
Enjoyed our drives . Think at times just both of us & on others perhaps shared with another couple .

By A to A ( Asia to Africa ) / .. Wilderness ..
richarddd likes this.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Oct 23, 2019 at 5:08 pm
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:09 pm
Was sydakllon

It might be really driven on what season you are travelling too.

If late June to early October, maybe a Tanzania safari would work (if you're not adverse to revisiting) - you've got the elephant migration in Tarangire, which you could couple with Namiri Plains for cats, and then another Serengeti park in the west or north (depending on timing) to see the wildebeest migration and all that comes with that.

Botswana should deliver well most seasons. From end-June, wild dogs start to den (Linyati probably best, maybe Selinda - camps like Selinda by Great Plains or Duma Tau by wilderness might get close, but ideally you'd drop a level and go to Lebala or Lagoon in Kwando if seeing these rare guys was something you were keen on). Chobe/Linyati should have loads of elephants in the middle of the year. Of course Moremi is famous.

I find South African safaris a bit vanilla / beginner (no offense - great intro and super lux, but just not really for me).
richarddd likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by sydakllon
It might be really driven on what season you are travelling too.
I'm rather flexible on timing. Whatever season has the best quality and quantity of big animals. I'm less interested in wild dogs than many here.

The main priority is the animals. The second is a high level of comfort; super lux is not necessary, although avoiding crowds, getting top quality drivers and trackers and having a smooth experience may correlate towards super lux??

Originally Posted by sydakllon
If late June to early October, maybe a Tanzania safari would work (if you're not adverse to revisiting) - you've got the elephant migration in Tarangire, which you could couple with Namiri Plains for cats, and then another Serengeti park in the west or north (depending on timing) to see the wildebeest migration and all that comes with that.

Botswana should deliver well most seasons. From end-June, wild dogs start to den (Linyati probably best, maybe Selinda - camps like Selinda by Great Plains or Duma Tau by wilderness might get close, but ideally you'd drop a level and go to Lebala or Lagoon in Kwando if seeing these rare guys was something you were keen on). Chobe/Linyati should have loads of elephants in the middle of the year. Of course Moremi is famous.

I find South African safaris a bit vanilla / beginner (no offense - great intro and super lux, but just not really for me).
I'm not averse to revisiting Tanazania, especially for elephants and cats. Botswana is sounding appealing, perhaps in May per FlyerEC.
SojournsOf likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:10 pm
Was sydakllon

Originally Posted by richarddd
I'm not averse to revisiting Tanazania, especially for elephants and cats. Botswana is sounding appealing, perhaps in May per FlyerEC.
May would be good for Botswana. Transition between wet season and dry (wet would have mostly ended in April). Won't be as busy as the July/August peak. Should be nice and green.

Great Plains has some good deals for May (stay/pay types). They'll give you what you're looking for in terms of quality guiding.

You could do something like Mpala Jena for a few nights for Vic Falls and surrounds, then move to Kings Pool or Belmond Savute for the Linyate/Chobe area elephants, then move into the Okavango area (if did Great Plains you could do a Selinda/Duba Plains combo). If you definitely wanted to include Moremi, there is Belmond River Khwai or of course Mombo Camp. A few Sanctuary options too.
richarddd likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 2:11 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Carlos Araujo
Are lodges at this price point able to provide spotless clean rooms? I’d hate to pay USD 2k/pp/night and have to sleep with spiders inside the room
Spiders do not know about rates. You are going to Africa and there is no guarantee of a spider free room or tent.
Pausanias and offerendum like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.