FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to go about planning my first African luxury safari?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:46 am
Ericka

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by drewdawg199
Hi - sorry to dig up this thread but it seemed relevant to my question.

I have recently received a quote from two different tour operators for 4 nights at the Jamala Madikwe, including Fedair flights from JNB. One price was about $9,900 and the other was slightly over $14,000. The same dates can be booked directly with the lodge and they can book my Fedair flights for me, which comes to about $6,400 (there is a 4th night free promo that gives 4th night for 75% off). Can someone please let me know if I'm totally missing something here? The tour operator prices seem really off the wall even if you figure they are giving me rack rates.

Thanks
Just a few additional thoughts on Madikwe. Also look into Morukuru (private house, private staff, Relais and Chateaux). Trip report:
Trip Report: Morukuru (Madikwe Game Reserve) with Our Son

Also, Madikwe just lost one of their experienced rangers/hotel managers to a bull elephant attack. Very sad story also worth researching....not that it should influence your itinerary...just a reminder that safaris are not zoos.