Process -- the how of luxury booking and behavior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Process -- the how of luxury booking and behavior

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:28 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Aventine

You might want to write to prospective owners on that one . GMs don't choose the HVAC systems. They just have to live with what was put in eg. PH Seoul.
Sometimes, a lot of HVAC issues have to do with room and vent design as well as the chosen unit. Some architects just go for show and don't consider real life usage when they put the vents in. Four Seasons Seoul has some beautiful suites but not enough vents. Just one above the door and that's supposed to cover a 25+ square meter bedroom and bathroom? Not with floor to ceiling windows all around.
Usually check with GMs or ops personnel first , before sounding out owners .
Often easier if an " individual " unlike corporate ( multiple ) investors .
Helps if owners have architectural or engineering backgrounds too , with balance of function & aesthetics
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:43 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Ericka I am sure that your kind of children`s birthday party in a hotel would be a "well behaved" thing, but I am equally sure that this is not at all the case for all guests booking a suite for a similar occasion... With this in mind, I would not be too sure that a hotel would feel good about hosting such an event in one of their nicest signature suites, and especially not if you are not even paying the full price for it. The sound of kids, cake and pizza is quite messy if you do not know which guests you are talking about. With this in mind, it could be helping to get some sort of a "recommendation" from a GM, just so that this hotel knows what they are doing if they would decide to give you a good price for a better suite for the party. Just a thought.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Ericka
We'd love to hear your opinions on this.

We're planning a family birthday party for my son at a city Peninsula. It's going to be a low key thing....pizza and cake in the room followed by a museum. We've booked a mid level suite specifically for the party. However, we're getting a few more positive RSVPs than we expected (happy problem). And we're hoping not to have to pay full price for one of the larger signature suites. Here's what we're thinking of doing.

- Contact GM two weeks before and lay out our past Peninsula stays.
- Explain nature of family party and how helpful staff has been in planning everything.
- Ask GM to give heads up to front desk staff that we would like to view available suite options upon arrival. And ask if they can consider us for any special "walk up" rates.

Does this approach seem good? Or tacky? We're already on an upgraded rate for our current suite, but the upgrades are not allowed after a certain level.

Thanks!

Ericka
Is the "problem" with the mid-level suite that there is no proper dining-area or is the signature-suite simply nicer?

Is the difference between booked and signature suite huge? Is the signature suite only for the party or also for the stay?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Musken
Ericka I am sure that your kind of children`s birthday party in a hotel would be a "well behaved" thing, but I am equally sure that this is not at all the case for all guests booking a suite for a similar occasion... With this in mind, I would not be too sure that a hotel would feel good about hosting such an event in one of their nicest signature suites, and especially not if you are not even paying the full price for it. The sound of kids, cake and pizza is quite messy if you do not know which guests you are talking about. With this in mind, it could be helping to get some sort of a "recommendation" from a GM, just so that this hotel knows what they are doing if they would decide to give you a good price for a better suite for the party. Just a thought.
Very good point re top suites. But depending on the property I imagine there might be larger suites short of top suites that could do nicely. Peninsula is such a small hotel group, out of which there are only three North American properties, so it can't be hard for one GM to reach out to another.

In New York, for example, The Peninsula Suite and the category immediately below it would likely be a no go due to the sheer quality and value of the furnishings. But the category right above Deluxe Suite, for example, might be doable for the hotel. In any case, the guest would have to assume liability for anything that might accidentally happen to the room furnishings.

As a party will be held in the suite, it's probably a bit more complicated than a standard walk up space available upgrade, come to think of it. Probably best to discuss with management somewhat in advance to iron out the details.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Aug 18, 2017 at 6:31 am
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:35 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
The "party" has been a point of discussion with sales management. Once we told them we were A) all over 45 with the exception of one child and B) holding the party in the middle of the day, the hotel gave us the green light.

I should rephrase. We're not necessarily looking for a named/signature suite. My perfect world is:
- living area big enough to comfortably seat the number of people we're talking about.
- nice looking (view, etc.)
- view options the morning we check in and buy up as necessary, ideally at a reduced rate because of the last minute booking

Maybe, just this once, I want a license to be picky about our suite. And let's not forget all the $$$$ we're giving the Peninsula for additional guest rooms, drinks, balloons, elaborate cake, dinner the night before, etc.

Do I sound irritated? I'm feeling irritated....over a child's birthday party.

I think I'll just write to the GM and ask that she have someone prepared to show me some suite options when we check in.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:52 am

I think it's highly likely they'll have something available that meets your criteria, and at an acceptable price. The only thing that could get in the way would be unusually high demand or lots of VIPs in house.

All over 45 and one child is very different from a typical children's birthday party!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The "party" has been a point of discussion with sales management. Once we told them we were A) all over 45 with the exception of one child and B) holding the party in the middle of the day, the hotel gave us the green light.

I should rephrase. We're not necessarily looking for a named/signature suite. My perfect world is:
- living area big enough to comfortably seat the number of people we're talking about.
- nice looking (view, etc.)
- view options the morning we check in and buy up as necessary, ideally at a reduced rate because of the last minute booking

Maybe, just this once, I want a license to be picky about our suite. And let's not forget all the $$$$ we're giving the Peninsula for additional guest rooms, drinks, balloons, elaborate cake, dinner the night before, etc.

Do I sound irritated? I'm feeling irritated....over a child's birthday party.

I think I'll just write to the GM and ask that she have someone prepared to show me some suite options when we check in.
It sounds very reasonable...
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

all the $$$$ we're giving the Peninsula for additional guest rooms, drinks, balloons, elaborate cake, dinner the night before, etc.
Sounds expensive..... Your way may be the more clever one but to be honest I would simply pay for the signature-suite.... To be absolute honest I wouldn´t do such a party for my child - guess I would be a bad dad, so better such questions didn´t occur to me
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Sounds expensive..... Your way may be the more clever one but to be honest I would simply pay for the signature-suite.... To be absolute honest I wouldn´t do such a party for my child - guess I would be a bad dad, so better such questions didn´t occur to me
Wait, wait, wait....other guests are paying for their own hotel rooms. It's not THAT good of a party!
Pierre&Cédric, Musken and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Wait, wait, wait....other guests are paying for their own hotel rooms. It's not THAT good of a party!
Didn't comment if it's good or not to have a party in a hotel. In general I'm very skeptical. At Cap Ferrat we heared loud music until 1am in our suite from a wedding. Can't judge about this "party" but I can imagine it will not be very loud. Also consider that many big suites are more for entertainment than stays. Best excample is Presidential Suite at FS Washington. Not really designed for stays.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:41 pm

Didn't comment if it's good or not to have a party in a hotel. In general I'm very skeptical. At Cap Ferrat we heared loud music until 1am in our suite from a wedding. Can't judge about this "party" but I can imagine it will not be very loud. Also consider that many big suites are more for entertainment than stays. Best excample is Presidential Suite at FS Washington. Not really designed for stays.
This sounds like an innocuous mid day gathering, rather than some kind of wild party.

The top suites at the Peninsula properties in America are definitely designed as (supremely comfortable) accommodations for actual stays. But, of course they can be used for functions, meetings, or all of the above.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

can see what they offer now, shortly before arrival, at arrival, and shortly before the start time.
can communicate flexibility, and interest in seeing what is available day of, arrange who will show

hotels advertise suites for events all the time, some luxury hotels advertise actual (giant) parties.
mostly not true re 'not possible' in certain suites - deals all the time, fees for damage, etc >

many big suites are more for entertainment than stays
while it obviously doesnt apply to those who just need a bedroom door, it is unfortunate when higher end luxury hotels only have a couple decent sized suites, as only having a couple means their rates will be (very) high.

edit - can apply to regular stays as well, for nice dinner in booked suite, booking higher suite, etc

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 18, 2017 at 5:09 pm
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:00 pm

All this talk about hotel suites...when in truth, this little guy who lives 1000+ miles away from his family will be so excited to see everyone that nothing else will matter.
KatW, Musken, Aventine and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: QF CL
Ericka, I hope your son has a wonderful party!

Kat, I rarely if ever reach out to the GM. I'm not sure why I would need to - I doubt my requests are any more special or unusual than anyone else's (and I will have always chosen the hotel in the first place based on how well-suited it is to my particular needs for that stay).

I don't even particularly like receiving the standard form GM greeting letter in my room. It looks formulaic and impersonal (in other words, the total opposite of what a personalized note from a GM should be). I'd rather see a wide range of hotel staff show a genuine interest in meeting my needs - always a good indication that a strong service culture is being driven from the top down.
KatW, janehoya and bhrubin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.