How Long to Stay?

Old Aug 11, 17, 8:13 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

How Long to Stay?

This is another thread focused on luxury behavior. To wit: how do you decide how long to stay? Bracketed here could be categories such as available vacation days, available monies, ability to stay in place -- what else?

Here is my story:
Unless the venue is close enough to consider for a long weekend (and I include LA in that category), I dislike staying fewer than five nights in a luxury venue. I don't like arriving, then turning around to leave. Also, I'm retired so I can do as I please, yippee.

Another factor in the "how long should I stay sweepstakes" is how expensive and/or difficult is it to get there. My math makes this easy: the more expensive the travel and/or more difficult the travel -- the longer we must stay. At this point in our lives (Jim is 74 and has dementia; I am 68 this autumn), I assume we aren't likely to return to far-flung places but, if we manage to get there, we'll blow it out with a good long stay.

Such that last September we were ten nights at Laucala. That is some serious math. And we adored each and every perfect minute after recovering from jet lag. Which is another variable in length of stay.
Old Aug 11, 17, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for a few of us here it's cost (of certain properties, like Laucala, or destinations) but that factors into staying at multiple places, regardless of number of trips or during same trip. for others the staying in multiple places, including on same trip, is simply a preference completely unrelated to cost.

i would have no problem with very long stay, living in luxury resorts/hotels, etc. i can identify, style/preference-wise, with owners who build properties like Laucala basically as vacation residences.

i dont think this has had a thread before, but has come up, sometimes when people are planning stay/trip at one or more hotels and asking for input. will be interesting to see discussion limited to this topic, but not limited by things like type of trip.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 11, 17 at 9:49 pm
Old Aug 12, 17, 1:48 am

I can get bored very easily so I don't really like to spend too much time at the same once. For a city break I would say 2 nights is ok. For beach venues 7 nights is the maximum. Budget has an influence on the category. If we spend 2 or 3 nights somewhere we can splurge and choose a nice suite. For a longer stay unfortunately we have to be a little careful
Limatiga Motor likes this.
Old Aug 12, 17, 2:29 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Interesting, P&C. I do understand about pinching pennies in order to enjoy. We did that for years!

But I just don't get bored -- as long as I have luxe environs and good service. Got books? Never bored, says this retired librarian.
Old Aug 12, 17, 2:43 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Given all the mostly expensive variables, TIME is most precious to me. And it can get dicey when, in the interest of the bank, I must weigh time against a commodious suite of the type to which I am accustomed (smile).

As long as I am coddled, I am happy to stay put.
Old Aug 12, 17, 3:42 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

For city breaks, which we tend to do a few times a year, we usually stay four nights if it's a city we have never been to. Being based in Europe, we are trying to get to as many major European cities as possible. Time required to get there is a factor as well. The longer the travel time, the longer the stay.

For longer vacations, it usually comes down to trying to be as time effective as possible. Less than 2 nights is just too short, and for us more than one week in the same spot tends to feel too long. There's just too much of the world out there, and not enough time.
Old Aug 12, 17, 4:14 am

For me the length of stay is purely a matter of where I am going. In the case of beach resorts I agree with Pierre & Cedric above, a week is about as long as I need these days, mainly because the food can become monotonous. When my wife and I were younger we often did three weeks at a time in one resort - Tanjong Jara and Le Prince Maurice were examples - but I don't see myself doing that these days.

In terms of cities, a week in Rome or Venice isn't enough for me, especially way out of season. In fact, we'd never go to a major cultural hotspot like those in the summer months. Cities like Prague, Budapest and Bucharest satisfy me in two to three days. A city like Geneva has several luxury hotels but a day there is more than enough. And to be perfectly honest I'd rather go to a city like Bishtek or Baku or Kolkata or Paramaribo than return to Paris or New York.

So it's all about the destination rather than the hotel. Always has been. Maybe that's why I like cruising - spend a day in various places and you don't need to keep packing. Next week it's Montreal, Quebec, St Pierre & Miquelon, Newfoundland, Greenland and Iceland. Unpack on day one and pack on day 14. What could be better than that?
Pierre&Cédric likes this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Aug 12, 17 at 4:29 am
Old Aug 12, 17, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I prefer to stay longer in less places. I like to stay at least a week. I like to relax and take things slowly.
Old Aug 12, 17, 4:57 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 18 at 11:51 am
Old Aug 12, 17, 7:00 am

Programs: aeroplan
I usually find 2-4 days enough at any given full-service luxury property unless I am out sightseeing every day, all day. If on a beach vacation, 3 nights in a resort followed by about 10 nights in a luxury villa with direct beach access and a gourmet kitchen so I can putter and cook is perfect. I get really sick and tired of eating meals in restaurants all the time and not having a ton of space for the family to spread out. I'm never sick of vacation (when not actively "traveling") though so the balance of hotel and high-end rental is perfect.
Old Aug 12, 17, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If I have the time, I tend to like to stay longer than most people in interesting cities, in order to explore different neighborhoods and go to some off the beaten path museums. OTOH, I get bored at beach resorts. I've never seen the point of just laying in the sun.
Old Aug 12, 17, 7:06 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Depends on the location. If it's a large city with lots to see and do, typically 3 to 4 days. Smaller cities, 2 days. Resorts, two to three days max before I gets bored. For example, I recently visited Salzburg. Lovely city, but so small and I felt bored very quickly and even two days was too much. On the other spectrum, I visited London every year and stay for 4 days to a week and there still remains much of the city I have not seen / experienced.
uggboy likes this.
Old Aug 12, 17, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Plat, Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
For beach vacations, seven to eight nights is perfect and enough time for me to relax into a trip. I will also do a five night long weekend if a getaway is urgently needed, or if my budget truly can't stretch to get the room category I want for seven nights.

For extended sightseeing trips, like Peru, a two night minimum per location is a must and I like to include a couple of three night stays to relax the pace a bit and offer some downtime.

My husband hates switching hotels, in part because he loves to fully unpack immediately upon arrival. I am generally fine with living out of my suitcase, and switching hotels is par for the course with my career. However, I do my best when planning our trips to ensure that we stay put in one location as long as possible even if it means less efficiency for sightseeing.

Flights can also dictate my length of stay, especially for beach vacations. For example, we have been wanting to get to Zihuatanejo, but when I look at the flight options from BOS if we don't go Sat-Sat then it requires two stop flights. So if we have the time to go for seven nights that's fine, but we wouldn't do eight nights, and less than seven is not appealing given the travel hassle. Similarly, if we are going for a long weekend, a nonstop flight and the schedule itself can drive the final decision on destination and duration.
Old Aug 12, 17, 10:57 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
For us, affordability is not really an issue, but time is. I have the attention span of a gnat.

We know from experience that 3 weeks is the longest overall trip we ordinarily can enjoy--as we always yearn for home (and not dining out) after that duration. We ordinarily prefer 2-3 week trips when there is significant jet lag involved--the more jet lag, the more likely we will stay longer to adjust.

I rarely stay more than 3-4 nights in any city. Our only exception has been Cape Town, my favorite city in the world, where we've spent 5-6 nights on multiple occasions. Despite loving fine dining, we only can do 2 or rarely 3 top end restaurants in a row before my husband needs a break. I can't survive a museum usually for more than a few hours, and I am not a theater buff, so other than luxury hotels, hotel bars, and fine dining, a city isn't my cup of tea.

I rarely stay more than 4-5 nights in any beach or rural destination resort. I'm not built to lay out for long periods of time; I need activity and things to explore to hold my interest. Unless there is scuba diving available or other architectural/small town/historic monument exploration to hold my interest, it's going to be a 2-3 night stay.

I often might schedule an extra day or two of doing nothing if it's a particularly rural or remote location where I feel I really can unplug. But it has to be a truly special or unique location for me to do that.

If we scuba dive, we can stay up to a week in a single resort destination. We need 12-24 hrs before and after flying to acclimate for diving, so that really only gives us 4-5 days of diving. We are considering a week on the FS Explorer in the Maldives and/or a week on Amandiran in Indonesia for just that reason.

We don't like switching hotels in any one destination, but then we're usually there for only 3-5 nights. Our upcoming Kyoto stay for May 2018 will be a first for us in that we will be in Kyoto for 7 nights and with 2 hotels (5 nights at Suiran and 2 nights at RC Kyoto). We're only considering that because there's so much to see in/around Kyoto/Nara and so much excellent dining...and in a truly rare moment for me, I'm supremely curious to try both hotels.
NoTravelIsFree likes this.
Old Aug 12, 17, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
For us, affordability is not really an issue, but time is. I have the attention span of a gnat.

We know from experience that 3 weeks is the longest overall trip we ordinarily can enjoy--as we always yearn for home (and not dining out) after that duration. We ordinarily prefer 2-3 week trips when there is significant jet lag involved--the more jet lag, the more likely we will stay longer to adjust.

I rarely stay more than 3-4 nights in any city. Our only exception has been Cape Town, my favorite city in the world, where we've spent 5-6 nights on multiple occasions. Despite loving fine dining, we only can do 2 or rarely 3 top end restaurants in a row before my husband needs a break. I can't survive a museum usually for more than a few hours, and I am not a theater buff, so other than luxury hotels, hotel bars, and fine dining, a city isn't my cup of tea.

I rarely stay more than 4-5 nights in any beach or rural destination resort. I'm not built to lay out for long periods of time; I need activity and things to explore to hold my interest. Unless there is scuba diving available or other architectural/small town/historic monument exploration to hold my interest, it's going to be a 2-3 night stay.

I often might schedule an extra day or two of doing nothing if it's a particularly rural or remote location where I feel I really can unplug. But it has to be a truly special or unique location for me to do that.

If we scuba dive, we can stay up to a week in a single resort destination. We need 12-24 hrs before and after flying to acclimate for diving, so that really only gives us 4-5 days of diving. We are considering a week on the FS Explorer in the Maldives and/or a week on Amandiran in Indonesia for just that reason.

We don't like switching hotels in any one destination, but then we're usually there for only 3-5 nights. Our upcoming Kyoto stay for May 2018 will be a first for us in that we will be in Kyoto for 7 nights and with 2 hotels (5 nights at Suiran and 2 nights at RC Kyoto). We're only considering that because there's so much to see in/around Kyoto/Nara and so much excellent dining...and in a truly rare moment for me, I'm supremely curious to try both hotels.
This x100 - couldn't have said it better myself!

We did 8 nights in the Maldives back in 2015 and it was just too long with not enough to do. A good lesson learned, and now we don't stay more than 3-4 nights at any given resort (non-city). We're doing 5 nights at Sveti Stefan in a couple of weeks and I'm curious to see if that is too long - I went back and forth between 4 and 5 nights for quite some time.

I can't agree more about 3 weeks being the max - anything more and for us the trip becomes more of a chore than an actual vacation. This upcoming trip has us in Amsterdam for 3 nights followed by 6 nights in Montenegro and 8 days in Portugal (albeit the Portugal trip is with friends and not with the fiancee). Even that seems a bit long to me.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: