Best Hotel Los Angeles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Hotel Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I like the style of Shutters on the Beach, although if it's become filled with kids, that would be a big negative and detract from the casual and peaceful elegance.

There's a low key property with rooms decorated in an Asian style a bit off the beaten track in Beverley Hills. It was a Raffles property but I'm not sure about the current name. If it hasn't changed too much, this could be a potential alternative for the OP. I assume they have a nice presidential suite.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I like the style of Shutters on the Beach, although if it's become filled with kids, that would be a big negative and detract from the casual and peaceful elegance.

There's a low key property with rooms decorated in an Asian style a bit off the beaten track in Beverley Hills. It was a Raffles property but I'm not sure about the current name. If it hasn't changed too much, this could be a potential alternative for the OP. I assume they have a nice presidential suite.
It's now a Viceroy.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Vaterland
It's now a Viceroy.
That doesn't sound so good, but it could be adults oriented.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That doesn't sound so good, but it could be adults oriented.
I agree. Viceroy properties tend to be the dumb blondes of the hotel world: pretty to look at but really ditzy when it comes to service. I must admit, though, that I am genuinely curious about the old Raffles l'ermitage. The renovations look irresistibly gorgeous but I fear Viceroy will have staffed the place with a bunch of Chrissy Snow-type personalities.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

I dont know the area at all - I am visiting. I am coming in for a wedding and have 3 days prior to enjoy my time. That is it. We have no agenda. Just a wallet full of money and time to burn. Those are the only real qualifiers I can add.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vaterland
I agree. Viceroy properties tend to be the dumb blondes of the hotel world: pretty to look at but really ditzy when it comes to service...I fear Viceroy will have staffed the place with a bunch of Chrissy Snow-type personalities.
prior to (economy &) selling 50% (sep 23 2008) & renaming (2009) , kor had well regarded properties here : tides miami & mexico, yas abu dhabi, maybe a few others. it was abu dhabi government that bought 50%, and seems they are looking to now acquire 100%.

seems viceroy bought l'ermitage, began managing in 2010. changed name in 2016 after renovation.
other owned hotels included tides miami for example, from 2006 to 2011.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 16, 2017 at 5:13 pm
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus
Originally Posted by jakemalloy
I dont know the area at all - I am visiting. I am coming in for a wedding and have 3 days prior to enjoy my time. That is it. We have no agenda. Just a wallet full of money and time to burn. Those are the only real qualifiers I can add.
my suggestion is don't drive to santa barbara to stay there.

if you have not been to LA before and have just 3 days santa barbara will be a waste of time.

drive your 911 on the Pacific Coast Highway a little north of Malibu, have some lunch around the area, and burn your money in LA. 3 days in LA is no time at all. also your 911 is pretty much like a honda there, everybody has one
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by tcmb99
my suggestion is don't drive to santa barbara to stay there.

if you have not been to LA before and have just 3 days santa barbara will be a waste of time.

drive your 911 on the Pacific Coast Highway a little north of Malibu, have some lunch around the area, and burn your money in LA. 3 days in LA is no time at all. also your 911 is pretty much like a honda there, everybody has one
Curious as to what you think is the right length of time in LA, then. We've been once for a 4-day weekend and were hard pressed to think of much to do. Going back and deciding between 3 or 4 nights combining with 2 or 3 nights in Santa Monica. Staying at WA and likely Belmond El Encanto.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Curious as to what you think is the right length of time in LA, then. We've been once for a 4-day weekend and were hard pressed to think of much to do. Going back and deciding between 3 or 4 nights combining with 2 or 3 nights in Santa Monica. Staying at WA and likely Belmond El Encanto.
It all depends on your likes and interests. There are some great suggestions in the following thread in the Los Angeles forum:
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
Hi everyone,

So I am planning a trip that will end in LA for a one night layover before I fly back to Calgary.

Curious to know what everyone here would recommend in terms of a hotel for us. We want the location to be modern/chic but also relaxing. Not looking for a "W like" atmosphere at all.

We don't plan on doing much sight seeing, and just want to relax at the hotel, maybe get a massage and have a nice dinner to conclude our trip.

The trip will have me staying at The Upper House in Hong Kong, Amanoi and Aman Tokyo, so looking for something of simosim style/caliber to finish off the trip.

Thanks for the help and advice!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:32 pm
Original Member

Given your preferences, Hotel Bel-Air.
specboi likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Second that
specboi likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:55 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by specboi
Hi everyone,

So I am planning a trip that will end in LA for a one night layover before I fly back to Calgary.

Curious to know what everyone here would recommend in terms of a hotel for us. We want the location to be modern/chic but also relaxing. Not looking for a "W like" atmosphere at all.

We don't plan on doing much sight seeing, and just want to relax at the hotel, maybe get a massage and have a nice dinner to conclude our trip.

The trip will have me staying at The Upper House in Hong Kong, Amanoi and Aman Tokyo, so looking for something of simosim style/caliber to finish off the trip.

Thanks for the help and advice!
How many hours total? If a full 24+, Hotel Bel Air. If less, you might want to think of something closer to the airport.
obscure2k and specboi like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Privé, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Another vote for Hotel Bel Air. Love it.
specboi likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
@specboi how far are you willing to go in LA? Hotel Bel Air is nice, but it feels more like a resort compound than a luxury hotel to me. Everything is a bit too sprawling for my liking. I actually prefer the Waldorf Astoria in Beverly Hills. The rooftop pool and whirlpool are amazing!
specboi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.