Phuket, Thailand, Help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2021, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Need to test flying with masks !!
Many airlines allow to put them out in First or Business, at least in the past. Frankly I didn´t fly since March last year, never had such a long abstinence. But not keen to fly European and my long haul plans are on ice.
FlyerEC and scented like this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by offerendum
Many airlines allow to put them out in First or Business, at least in the past. Frankly I didn´t fly since March last year, never had such a long abstinence. But not keen to fly European and my long haul plans are on ice.
Flying with masks really is a drag. On the long-hauls, where you have your own suite-like setting, I have found that people dont really care and after the dinner service the FAs don't stroll through the aisle anyways. But on a domestic or intra-european flight when it will be on the whole time, it is annoying. Worth it to be able to travel, but very much looking forward to the time it is no longer required.
offerendum and scented like this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 5:36 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Off topic but I took Richard Quest's advice. A proper 3 layered mask for the airport and lounge and then once aboard, a single use medical mask. Taken many flights around Australia (up to 3 hours) and it doesn't bother me.

As above, once meal service begins if you keep a glass on your tray you're considered to be "eating or drinking" so can avoid it most of the flight.
scented likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 6:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by uclabruin82
Flying with masks really is a drag. On the long-hauls, where you have your own suite-like setting, I have found that people dont really care and after the dinner service the FAs don't stroll through the aisle anyways. But on a domestic or intra-european flight when it will be on the whole time, it is annoying. Worth it to be able to travel, but very much looking forward to the time it is no longer required.
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Off topic but I took Richard Quest's advice. A proper 3 layered mask for the airport and lounge and then once aboard, a single use medical mask. Taken many flights around Australia (up to 3 hours) and it doesn't bother me.

As above, once meal service begins if you keep a glass on your tray you're considered to be "eating or drinking" so can avoid it most of the flight.
Originally Posted by offerendum
Puri is re opening on schedule - 1 August after her usual annual maintenance stretched for an extra month .
Still hoping stay for end October is feasible ( since Kila / Nusa Dua Villas stays are not happening next month or September from how things are going ) . Have to check if one can only stay in one hotel & over 2 weeks or ? .. might check out Trisara again depends on Anthony presence or lack thereof .

Need to test flying with masks !!

Well , need to try with short flights so I can resume the LHs 😉 plus there does not seem to be first on any SQ flights ..
Need to test my mask strategies - time to mull over since last flight was in January ‘ 20 . Yes in Thailand , no less , when the first case was reported in BKK ‼️

Puri should be the logical safest place to start as will be taken care of if service level remains similar to what we are accustomed to .
Thing is by now no more pioneers or long serving team members remain . Hoping for the best .
As for Trisara sans Anthony L , rather a big “ if “ ..
scented likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 12:58 am

Well , need to try with short flights so I can resume the LHs 😉 plus there does not seem to be first on any SQ flights ..
Need to test my mask strategies - time to mull over since last flight was in January ‘ 20 . Yes in Thailand , no less , when the first case was reported in BKK ‼️

Puri should be the logical safest place to start as will be taken care of if service level remains similar to what we are accustomed to .
Thing is by now no more pioneers or long serving team members remain . Hoping for the best .
As for Trisara sans Anthony L , rather a big “ if “ ..
I am cautiously optimistic about Puri, considering that Nicolas is there. He knows the values and hopefully can instill them. And many of the team may be happy to have a secure job, given how the pandemic has affected the labor market in tourism in Asia. There is really no reason not to get the service right, given how much time they had to perfect it and train, although once they see high occupancy, could quickly be overwhelmed. Though most will agree we are quite a bit away from the days of high occupancy.
FlyerEC and vuittonsofstyle like this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:21 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Fellow FTers what are the updates on HKT? Prison Island is opening and am thinking HKT in April after QF restarts flights to BKK.

Currently considering Rosewood Beachfront Villa or Partial Ocean Pool Pavillion (I think the former has actual Ocean views which is mandatory and a separate living and bedroom). Mandatory requirements are private pool, Ocean views and preferably separate living and bedroom.

I was going to book Trisara, but TA says it's gone downhill drastically.

Location doesn't bother me as we won't leave the property for a week.

Will top and tail with either the new FS or StR Bkk which is our usual hotel and who treat us very well.

Curiously, Vana Belle for the same time period is pricing more expensive for the Tropical Villa than Rosewood, but perhaps they haven't loaded seasonal rates yet.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Fellow FTers what are the updates on HKT? Prison Island is opening and am thinking HKT in April after QF restarts flights to BKK.

Currently considering Rosewood Beachfront Villa or Partial Ocean Pool Pavillion (I think the former has actual Ocean views which is mandatory and a separate living and bedroom). Mandatory requirements are private pool, Ocean views and preferably separate living and bedroom.

Will top and tail with either the new FS or StR Bkk which is our usual hotel and who treat us very well.

Curiously, Vana Belle for the same time period is pricing more expensive for the Tropical Villa than Rosewood, but perhaps they haven't loaded seasonal rates yet.
It’s all normal but most of the outside restaurants and bars are closed. Rosewood is only running Red Sauce and Mai bar. Other outlets are closed. Spa is open.

Last edited by Aventine; Sep 30, 2021 at 2:23 am
Old Sep 30, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond

Do you have any other information on what your TA said regarding Trisara? In what ways has it gone downhill drastically? Is this a recent (COVID) view, or something your TA felt was the case prior to COVID?
Old Sep 30, 2021, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
Do you have any other information on what your TA said regarding Trisara? In what ways has it gone downhill drastically? Is this a recent (COVID) view, or something your TA felt was the case prior to COVID?
Not sure in which tread but I think it has been discussed here that the son of the owner is now running Trisara as MD ("GM"). Not sure if Anthony Lark is still with Montara in the corporate role. Would be interesting to know. I think Vuittons might know best.

I also heard from a friend living in Thailand that the pandemic has dramatically impacted Trisara in a negative way. I would guess Puri is the best choice right now.
FlyerEC and SojournsOf like this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 9:27 am

Anthony Lark opened his own hotel consultancy earlier this year and is no longer connected with Trisara - https://www.anthonylark.com/

The owner's son is currently managing Trisara....
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
Best Top End Phuket Resort?

Looking to visit Phuket in March 2022 and wondering how the Rosewood stacks up to the Amanpuri, Trisara, OR any other top property in the area. Must have is a pool villa, ocean views etc. TIA

Last edited by p100a; Oct 1, 2021 at 3:36 pm
Old Oct 3, 2021, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by p100a
Looking to visit Phuket in March 2022 and wondering how the Rosewood stacks up to the Amanpuri, Trisara, OR any other top property in the area. Must have is a pool villa, ocean views etc. TIA
Personally think Rosewood Phuket is awful, especially compared to other options. You can do so much better.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 7:08 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by p100a
Originally Posted by scented
Personally think Rosewood Phuket is awful, especially compared to other options. You can do so much better.
Well , our Rosewood friend was just there and was on site most of the time . But what can he say ..
Of course , he went to Puri after , villa no less , what more can one say .
One must realise too that he is ex - Aman after all , and knows the drill AND what the expectations of AMANJunkies are .
scented likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 8:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
December 2022

I will be traveling to Phuket during the last week of December. Wondering what is the best option for a family of 4 (teenagers). Amanpuri? Seems like Rosewood doesn’t get good reviews. Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 8:55 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by SeeTheLights
I will be traveling to Phuket during the last week of December. Wondering what is the best option for a family of 4 (teenagers). Amanpuri? Seems like Rosewood doesn’t get good reviews. Thanks.
I'm probably slightly biased here but I think it's Amanpuri Villas hands down. We were there last Dec and really enjoyed the villas. It's also my go to villa place to send clients to in Phuket.
Love now that Nicolas is heading up Amanpuri (and Asia) as the GM. BUT, you may have trouble getting into the villas the last week of December. It's usually committed by annual repeat guests and villa owners. I often have to pull favors with Aman friends just to get clients in that week. Maybe it's slightly different now. Muti bedroom pavilions would be easier.
Also, while I love Amanpuri, the weeks of Christmas/NYE are a very different vibe and much more lively. If you're an old school Amanjunike who likes super quiet settings, this might not be the right time for you anyway.

On my Instagram account, (@besvisor) you can see my quick tour of Amanpuri (including our pavilion and villa) under the Amanpuri highlight. Our stay was early Dec (8 - 16-ish), so water and beach will be even better by late Dec.
You may likely get some dilution in service at that time as it'll be at 100% occupancy. So this is where you will def. want a Villa (if possible) as having your own host and chef helps a lot in hedging any possible service issues.
Our service was great (at maybe 65% occupancy) but I'm sure peak occupancy/weeks can be challenging.
SeeTheLights and FlyerEC like this.

Last edited by BESVISOR; Jul 1, 2022 at 9:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.