Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels/Resorts Highly Regarded ... but you were unwowed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:40 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Luxury Hotels/Resorts Highly Regarded ... but you were unwowed

It's inevitable that even the highest regarded venues will have their critics. Weigh in here on venues others rave about and which dominate Best lists ... but you weren't impressed. As is often the case, the wow factor may correlate with cost and hype.

[If this topic exists elsethread, please fold in.]

POST RANCH INN, Big Sur, California
Calistoga Ranch, Napa, California
Resort at Pedregal, Cabo, Mexico

-- On a related note, Luxury hotel often panned, especially here, that I adored: The Savoy in London. Granted, we enjoyed a deluxe river-view room.

Last edited by KatW; Apr 10, 2017 at 6:28 pm
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:48 pm

Amangiri and Amanyara, The Beverly Wilshire (A Four Seasons Hotel) come to my mind.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:56 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Good call on the Beverly Wiltshire -- public areas are a zoo and some of the rooms, even suites, on the small side.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:01 pm

Beverly Hills hotel, it's still highly regarded here which is a true mystery for me.
Amanpulo (the island is fantastic but the service was very average).
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by KatW
Good call on the Beverly Wiltshire -- public areas are a zoo and some of the rooms, even suites, on the small side.
Service delivery at Hotel Bel Air (one of my favorite hotels) makes The Beverly Wilshire feel like a Hilton.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:13 pm
Community Director Emerita

Amanjiwo - as adored as this hotel is in this forum, I might be the first one to say we had a subpar stay. And I haven't confessed it before because others whom I highly respect consider it one of the top Aman properties.

- Their driver showed up an hour late at our prior hotel, Losari Coffee Plantation. We were packed, moved out, and had nothing to do. Our pick up time was in writing and we were never given an explanation why it changed with no notice to us.
- We had a pool pavilion where due to the walls surrounding it had no view whatsoever.
- I had a horrible case of bronchitis and was still expected to hike up the stairs on arrival to go thru their welcome ceremony. Subsequently we found there was an elevator which I could have ridden.
- It had a built in platform for the bed that was perhaps an additional foot on either side. I've seen this design elsewhere (Nam Hai, for instance) and am not fond of it. It makes it tricky to get in and out of bed during the night.
- We came back from dinner and found housekeeping in our room cleaning. No apology was made and they kept cleaning. I had read so much about the cleaning staff being invisible that this shocked me.
- We were promised a recipe for their delicious ginger beverage. It was never delivered.

There was no service recovery.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:18 pm

When did this happen Carol? Could be departure of Mark S, if stay was recently. Sorry Jiwo wasn't as special as it should have been!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:34 pm

Trisara, Ashford Castle and Fregate. All were further disappointments due to their proximity to nearby resorts I had either been to or were going to that were excellent: Iniala, Ballyfin and North Island.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Hmmm. Interesting question. This should start quite the flame war ...

- Hotel Bel Air (after renovation). They killed everything that made that place special.
- FS BW has never gotten good reviews here. I didn't like it at all. More a dull robotic tourist circus than a luxury hotel.
- Savoy. A low-end Fairmount with an inexplicable dress code. Some rooms have views.
- Le Meurice. Just an uncomfortable hotel.
- Plaza NYC. Simply awful. Eloise has long since become an adult and moved on.
- Amangiri. Spectacular architecture and physical beauty. Poor food ... Poor service ... 85F room during summer with no chance of repair. Rooms are fishbowls.
- FS Hualalai during Thanksgiving. They have clearly decided that Cisco the week after is more important.
- Chateau Marmont. Spectacular food and beverage. But nothing can prepare you for the quality of the rooms. This place needed a complete renovation 50+ years ago.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:52 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Hmmm. Interesting question. This should start quite the flame war ...
Oh, let's spar wittily instead.

- Hotel Bel Air (after renovation). They killed everything that made that place special.
Boy howdy! Used to be our preferred in LA. Went for drinks post renovation and suffered extreme case of hives (allergic reaction). So unfortunate. If ever an hotel was at odds with its setting ...

- FS Hualalai during Thanksgiving. They have clearly decided that Cisco the week after is more important.
Hualalai is great in theory but ruined by success. Never again for us. But I don't think the owners mind as they bank their bucks.

Last edited by KatW; Apr 10, 2017 at 5:51 pm
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:28 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by scented
When did this happen Carol? Could be departure of Mark S, if stay was recently. Sorry Jiwo wasn't as special as it should have been!
It was several years ago and he was the GM. I don't think he was in house. At least we never met him.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:47 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

The Greenwich
- missed my wife's birthday (noted by my agent)
- missed my request for a separate shower/tub
- unable or unwilling to provide in room coffee
- duxiana beds not terribly comfy

the pool is simply stunning though.

EDIT: Amanyara and amangiri met my low expectations.

Fdw
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Amanjiwo - as adored as this hotel is in this forum, I might be the first one to say we had a subpar stay. And I haven't confessed it before because others whom I highly respect consider it one of the top Aman properties.

- Their driver showed up an hour late at our prior hotel, Losari Coffee Plantation. We were packed, moved out, and had nothing to do. Our pick up time was in writing and we were never given an explanation why it changed with no notice to us.
- We had a pool pavilion where due to the walls surrounding it had no view whatsoever.
- I had a horrible case of bronchitis and was still expected to hike up the stairs on arrival to go thru their welcome ceremony. Subsequently we found there was an elevator which I could have ridden.
- It had a built in platform for the bed that was perhaps an additional foot on either side. I've seen this design elsewhere (Nam Hai, for instance) and am not fond of it. It makes it tricky to get in and out of bed during the night.
- We came back from dinner and found housekeeping in our room cleaning. No apology was made and they kept cleaning. I had read so much about the cleaning staff being invisible that this shocked me.
- We were promised a recipe for their delicious ginger beverage. It was never delivered.

There was no service recovery.
I also wasn't blown away by Jiwo.

To be clear, I enjoyed my stay and there were no major issues - it just wasn't the memorable experience I was expecting in light of the praise on this board.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:45 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I appreciate your distinction above, 0bsidian.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:04 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Trisara (service and food)
Amanbagh (service and food)
Amandari (outdated)

To be clear, each of the above have some fantastic plus points, but my expectations for each were higher based on the forum feedback.

If we're going beyond highly rated on this forum, then Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.