FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Luxury Hotels/Resorts Highly Regarded ... but you were unwowed
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:15 pm
0bsidian

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Amanjiwo - as adored as this hotel is in this forum, I might be the first one to say we had a subpar stay. And I haven't confessed it before because others whom I highly respect consider it one of the top Aman properties.

- Their driver showed up an hour late at our prior hotel, Losari Coffee Plantation. We were packed, moved out, and had nothing to do. Our pick up time was in writing and we were never given an explanation why it changed with no notice to us.
- We had a pool pavilion where due to the walls surrounding it had no view whatsoever.
- I had a horrible case of bronchitis and was still expected to hike up the stairs on arrival to go thru their welcome ceremony. Subsequently we found there was an elevator which I could have ridden.
- It had a built in platform for the bed that was perhaps an additional foot on either side. I've seen this design elsewhere (Nam Hai, for instance) and am not fond of it. It makes it tricky to get in and out of bed during the night.
- We came back from dinner and found housekeeping in our room cleaning. No apology was made and they kept cleaning. I had read so much about the cleaning staff being invisible that this shocked me.
- We were promised a recipe for their delicious ginger beverage. It was never delivered.

There was no service recovery.
I also wasn't blown away by Jiwo.

To be clear, I enjoyed my stay and there were no major issues - it just wasn't the memorable experience I was expecting in light of the praise on this board.