Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Aman, Azerai, GHM & Ahn Luh Resorts - 2017 edition

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 9:23 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scented
Just got word that GHM is now indeed franchising the Chedi brand -- they are no longer managing these properties. If this includes future properties/development, I'm not sure. Will find out.

This makes Chedi Andermatt, Chedi Muscat and the Chedi Club Bali independent hotels.
i wonder how long till they break away from the Chedi name if it's essentially a license fee at this point
Old May 24, 2017, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by mumum17
This is the first full article that I have seen on Azerai. Sounds promising. It's from Robb Report's Luxury Travel section:

http://robbreport.com/luxury-travel/...-newest-resort
It does not sound as though anyone from Robb Report has actually stayed there, as the hotel is not set in a 100-year old structure, but is a totally new build, on the site of the old Phousi Hotel, opposite the Night Market.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:44 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
It does not sound as though anyone from Robb Report has actually stayed there, as the hotel is not set in a 100-year old structure, but is a totally new build, on the site of the old Phousi Hotel, opposite the Night Market.
It's not a review, but a 'preview' of the property.

The 100-year-old quote comes straight from Azerai (I'm quoting official documentation below):
The two-level building itself is the result of a two-year reconstruction of the original footprint of a unique site unveilved over 100 years ago
It's been badly rephrased by Robb Report.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:49 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I saw the building when it was going up, and it looked pretty new.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
It's not a review, but a 'preview' of the property.

The 100-year-old quote comes straight from Azerai (I'm quoting official documentation below):

It's been badly rephrased by Robb Report.
Yes, very badly rephrased! The footprint is certainly 'historic' but the hotel is all-new and very beautiful. AZ is decidedly back on form.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Last month I've been at the Azerai in Luang Prabang and it is incredible. The location is in the best place it could be, the hotel is beautiful, with a large swimming pool and a big banyan tree, the service is Aman-like and the rooms are cosy, not very big but well decorated and the spa staff is one of the best I've seen.
Adrian Zecha call's it - affordable luxury and it is. Once again AZ is leading the trends
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by 4 your eyes only
Last month I've been at the Azerai in Luang Prabang and it is incredible. The location is in the best place it could be, the hotel is beautiful, with a large swimming pool and a big banyan tree, the service is Aman-like and the rooms are cosy, not very big but well decorated and the spa staff is one of the best I've seen.
Adrian Zecha call's it - affordable luxury and it is. Once again AZ is leading the trends
Me, too, and I totally agree with you - it's an incredible hotel.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Me, too, and I totally agree with you - it's an incredible hotel.

Would you pick Azerai over Amantaka ?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:57 pm
DSI

Having been to amantaka no way I'd go back. Overpriced and the atmosphere of a funeral parlor.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DSI
Having been to amantaka no way I'd go back. Overpriced and the atmosphere of a funeral parlor.
I don't share the rather strong...disdain that DSI has for Aman properties, but I would agree with this general sentiment. I would not go back, and for 30% of the Amantaka rate would stay at Azerai in a heartbeat.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by callmedtop
I don't share the rather strong...disdain that DSI has for Aman properties, but I would agree with this general sentiment. I would not go back, and for 30% of the Amantaka rate would stay at Azerai in a heartbeat.
I wouldn't return to Taka either. Especially so after Gary's departure.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:48 am
DSI

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Well, perhaps I come across that way (even though we had the same general sentiment!) but I wouldn't describe myself as such. Maybe it's because I don't have the same travel budget to afford Aman places often or maybe I just like being an iconoclast, but point taken!

I'm excited about going to Giri this year, and some of the other places look really nice to me, like Yara (but after they lost my reservation it's kinda hard to want to go there), Era, Sven and Venice look nice to me. Maybe it's that I just find them too tranquil for my tastes and I'm more of a Club Med type of person when it comes down to it?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
The thing about Aman is that when it's off you really feel cheated because you expect it to be amazing and you are generally paying a lot for it to be amazing. So even little lapses start to annoy you and you very quickly fall out of the relaxed holiday state of mind that you are arguably paying for. As much as I love Aman when it's good, I'm not forgiving when it isn't.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by xray
Would you pick Azerai over Amantaka ?
Making the comparison is quite shocking, as Amantaka is like a museum - polished to perfection - but it really lacks soul these days, so yes, I would pick Azerai, although you have to understand that, unke Amantaka, it has no suites and is totally unpretentious.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Making the comparison is quite shocking, as Amantaka is like a museum - polished to perfection - but it really lacks soul these days, so yes, I would pick Azerai, although you have to understand that, unke Amantaka, it has no suites and is totally unpretentious.

yup, it all depends on what each values most when one stays at a hotel... I do like the styling at Azerai and obviously the service levels are high with all the ex-Aman staff. However, I appreciate hard product and space as well as the quiet which comes with exclusivity so Aman is still on my radar.

Price does play a part for the value proposition but for instance, I stayed at both Amansara and PH Siem Reap to compare and I'm glad I spent more time and $ for Amansara.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.