New Aman, Azerai, GHM & Ahn Luh Resorts - 2017 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Aman, Azerai, GHM & Ahn Luh Resorts - 2017 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Agreed! This is less than 25% of the typical cost of the Aman, albeit without half-board, based on the website prices.
Very interesting to look at the pictures of Azerai Luang Prabang and the comments here.

Judging the prices, I don't even think it is that inexpensive. In the early stages of the projects it appeared to be a 3* hotel, but the prices quoted on the website are far from it. In fact, you can stay at some very luxurious 5* hotels for the same price. Although compared to Taka, it is indeed a fraction of the price. But cheap it is not.

I was prepared to be disappointed when I looked at the pictures, but I am actually pleasantly surprised. This hotel is so elegant. The details, arrangements and even the lighting is so AZ. Makes me smile. It embodies a certain elegance that seems lost in many new-built hotels and resorts these days. I cannot wait to stay and see what it is all about.

The blueprint, price point, design choices and GM actually make me believe they will be able to deliver great service and rewarding stays.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Amaniwa Kyoto still alive?

In the Feb 17 Edition, Gallivanter's Guide is reporting on new Kyoto hotels (Ritz Carlton brillant, Four Seasons lousy, Hotel Kanra good...).

Amidst their reporting, one sentence rumors about Amans Kyoto property near the Golden Pavillion which we are reporting here over the last years with changing status. Gallivanter's now says, it will count only 20 rooms (fantastic!), and that it could open "within the next 15 months. Or not."

Let's hope for the former!
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:05 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
GHM's Al Bait Sharjah hotel confirms 2017 opening

Al Bait Sharjah, the new luxury resort to be managed by General Hotel Management Ltd (GHM), is set to open at the end of 2017.

Developed in partnership with Shurooq (the Sharjah Investment and Development Authority), Al Bait in Sharjah is part of the emirate’s historical preservation and restoration project known as Heart of Sharjah. The heritage project is planned over a 15-year period and targeted for completion by 2025.
Please see:
http://www.hoteliermiddleeast.com/29...-2017-opening/

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

presumably no updates re shanghai ?

Originally Posted by deer
Aman Kyoto Gallivanter's "within the next 15 months. Or not."
Originally Posted by KrazeeJoe
21 rooms total resort area 25,000 square meters [6 acres]
aman might have 33% stake
original kerry hill proposed interior at bottom >
ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/64943757jw1e2xka0uqhdj.jpg

google translate >
archiships.ldblog.jp/archives/43469279.html
vast old garden that was abandoned
stunning gardens have been neglected for decades
scattered pavilions on extensive grounds
might try to open by end of 2018
(then next project by end of 2019)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 15, 2017 at 12:11 am
Old Mar 15, 2017, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
presumably no updates re shanghai ?

Amanbadu (Kyoto): looks amazing!

Amanyangyung (Shanghai): Officially announced for autumn 2017, see post 25 in this thread!
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:48 am

Programs: CX DM
Recently stayed at Ahn Luh Zhujiajiao with one of our 2 small kids and my parents. We had a patio pavilion plus, which is basically 2 adjoining patio pavilions with a small lobby between.

The pros
-In the style of Aman, they have brought in a couple of ancient buildings from other chinese provinces and reinstalled them as part of the hotel to really quite stunning effect. The interiors of these spaces have been sympathetically designed and there's an aman type vibe.
-Room design is also quite Aman-reminiscent
-Service was warm and friendly (if rather ineffective - see below)
-Location a very short walk from the old water town

The cons/challenges
-As I said, deisgn is quite aman. However execution alas has not been able to avoid the curious chinese phenomenon of "chabuduo". If you look closely, the cracks appear.
-There is only one dining location, and it only serves chinese food. This may be a pro or a con depending on the reader of course, but we like variety (the "tapas bar" was used only for breakfast. to be fair they do attempt a few western items at breakfast but the standard is poor).
-Thankfully one of our party is a fluent Mandarin speaker. The trip would have been very challenging without this as english is only spoken by 2 people on property that I counted, and they weren't there in the evenings.
-While the staff are friendly as I mentioned, even basic requests seem to generate a lot of confusion (e.g. even with a request made in chinese and confirmed back to us, it took 4 phone calls and 2 staff visits to our room to acquire some ice. also we took our son up to the pool and I went looking for towels. there was not a soul (or a towel) to be found anywhere, even upon walking round the entire spa. I ended up having to go to reception in a robe to find someone to give us towels (after I had brought them up to the pool for a translation of the request)
-Zhujiajiao is jammed full of (almost exclusively domestic) tourists, and I found it not in the slightest bit authentic. It is full of tourist junk shops. The old buildings and bridges are pretty and interesting. but hard to focus on. Frankly the old transplanted buildings within the hotel property were my favourite part (and of course could be enjoyed in peace).
Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Thank you, Altocumulu, very interesting to hear that Ahn Luh is something linke an Aman/GHM on the surface, but that training, service, basic language skills and detail is on a chinese-local-market level.

Let's hope that they do something to substantially improve!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

11 new Amanresorts - but where?

Aman is twittering about 11 new Amanresorts announced by Doronin:
https://twitter.com/amanresorts/status/844859112772927488

Could not find details yet, neither in the empty News section of Aman.com, nor on Doronins Website or on Google News.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:59 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
aman might have 33% stake
Looks nice, but I just don't get the Kyoto from it?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

USA - could include new york
Japan - presumably kyoto
Europe -
Asia -
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

USA - could include new york
Japan - presumably kyoto - Europe - Asia -
All the current rumors are listen on page 1 of this thread.
It's just strange, that Aman tweets a teaser about "11 new openings" and them does not deliver the story: not on Aman.com, neither on Doronins website, nor in any yet released nterview.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:46 am

"Eleven new hotels and resorts, each with a residential component, were signed in 2016 and are in development. These properties will be located in South America – the brand’s first – as well as South-east Asia, Japan, the US and Europe."

http://ttgasia.com/article.php?article_id=29071
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:53 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I recall reading Aman leased/bought a building/space in Midtown. Would've thought UES would be a more fitting for their ethos.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by DSI
I recall reading Aman leased/bought a building/space in Midtown. Would've thought UES would be a more fitting for their ethos.
https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/midto...h-avenue/79191

Looks like Aman NYC is planned for Q1 2018 with 26 Apartments in the crown building. Probably will be a good place to have breakfast for us NYC natives.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks Tenk

re NYC, jean michel gathy did >
aman tribeca concept dated jun 23 2009
57 rooms including 2 duplex, hotel pool

badu is jordan, kyoto (was amaniwa) concept was only at very bottom

vague returns to aman tradition, like dayan opening quieter than other latest amans

"signed in 2016" is vague. aman parent owns NYC, probably still has stake in kyoto, might see them do something with one of their developments in miami/moscow. perhaps they took stakes in or helped secure financing for others, id imagine they might be able to navigate villa financing if still difficult.

finally reading release mentioned earlier >
Eleven new hotels and resorts, each with a residential component, were signed in 2016 and are in development, and as such, will see South America introduced as a destination for the first time with further resorts in South East Asia, the USA and Europe, and a continued journey in Japan. D, Chairman of the Aman Group, said “Our strategy continues to place emphasis on seeking out new and outstanding destinations, as well as a continued commitment to curate resorts of architectural distinction by commissioning new and up-and-coming architects. We do not have plans to radically transform the brand.” He added that, “The continued integration of Aman Wellness
prweb.com/releases/2017/03/prweb14182681.htm
March 27, 2017
Aman Shanghai, which is opening in September

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 7, 2017 at 10:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.