Wiki Posts
Search

Hip and Happening in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:26 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by erik123
The Grand Hyatt is worth a look.
If you stay in the Grand Hyatt, they have a deal where you can get free entry into a private club in Central called the Kee club, a short taxi ride away. This club, which I have been to once long ago, is supposedly quite cool.

Just ask the concierge (ideally the club floor concierge). This is not advertised or mentioned in any hotel literature or website.

Googling Kee club Hong Kong will give you a lot of info.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:18 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I much preferred the W over the Pen.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DSI
I much preferred the W [HK] over the Pen [HK]
W [HK] owner also owns FS [HK] and RC [HK]
shkphotels.com/en/ourhotel/ourpartner.shtml

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
If she is not willing to spend MO or Ritz type of money, here are what I would suggest. This takes into account that she will be here just for a short time so these are hotels that are close to the airport train.

For the Kowloon side, stay at the W and then go to the bar at the Ritz. It is in the same complex

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 7, 2017 at 1:35 pm
Old Jan 7, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
W Hong Kong?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:50 am

If she is not willing to spend MO or Ritz type of money, here are what I would suggest. This takes into account that she will be here just for a short time so these are hotels that are close to the airport train.

For the Kowloon side, stay at the W and then go to the bar at the Ritz. It is in the same complex

For the HK side, maybe something like Hotel Pottinger or Hotel LKF (have not stayed at these two so can't vouch for them but should be in range of what she is looking for). Then go bar hopping in LKF or for something more refined, go to Sevva or the bar on top floor of MO
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: some

For the HK side, maybe something like Hotel Pottinger or Hotel LKF (have not stayed at these two so can't vouch for them but should be in range of what she is looking for). Then go bar hopping in LKF or for something more refined, go to Sevva or the bar on top floor of MO

Good suggestions, thanks everyone!!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:25 pm

Mrs Pound in Sheung Wan or Yardbird for hipster nibbles. Does she want to relax, there's a great spa and lunch deal at the Mira midweek (my friends raved about the sashimi and massages).

In general I would recommend she explore Soho/Sai Ying Pun for food then head over to a hotel with a view for drinks like TUH. I would recommend she stay on the HK Island then its easier to catch the airport express the next day.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card

+1 for the stay at W / drink at Ritz Carlton plan. The 'Kudos' factor is in saying that you've had a drink at the word's highest bar. And if she's there in summer, the rooftop pool at the W is worth it too. I always stay there these days but that's because the office is Kowloon side and I like the convenience.

I did stay at the LKF years ago - they actually have two hotels I believe and I stayed at the one a little further away from Central. It's kind of aiming for the same vibe as the W (on a more modest scale) if I recall. But I think the W is a solid choice.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
I would add another vote for the W. I know it is not "luxury" according to some posters here (partly because they don't find the whole W aesthetic appealing) but I find that the hotel does a bunch of stuff right. The spa is good (or was a couple years ago). The pool on the 76th floor is great. The service is strong. The rooms are quiet, and within the context of the design, functional and well laid out. It is exceptionally convenient from the airport. And the morning breakfast buffet is excellent. One of the best of the very many hotels I have stayed at.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:03 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by ridefar
I would add another vote for the W. I know it is not "luxury" according to some posters here (partly because they don't find the whole W aesthetic appealing) but I find that the hotel does a bunch of stuff right. The spa is good (or was a couple years ago). The pool on the 76th floor is great. The service is strong. The rooms are quiet, and within the context of the design, functional and well laid out. It is exceptionally convenient from the airport. And the morning breakfast buffet is excellent. One of the best of the very many hotels I have stayed at.
With the Ws I've been to and stayed at so far, I actually find their service to be quite decent.

But you're right - it's the aesthetics and their general 'we're too cool/very cool' style that doesn't appeal to me at all. The service is good in the sense that they will go to great lengths to service you; but it never seems to be 'from the heart' or warm service - rather functional, while at the same time maintaining their whole 'we're too cool' style.

I think the food varies - but the food at W Hong Kong is decent.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by surftb15
Ritz.. Book virtuoso and use credit at their rooftop bar.
No one wants to be on the Kowloon side, and that bar is overpriced and usually socked in by clouds.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:27 am
Suspended

Have stayed at both, prefer the rooms and the location of the LKF Hotel, it's my go to. It's not great servicewise but the rooms are big for HKG, relatively cheap and the location is excellent.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Of the options listed, only the Upper House would come close to the request.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by grumbler
Of the options listed, only the Upper House would come close to the request.
He said his friend couldn't handle Ritz/MO/Pen prices, Upper House is in the same price range isn't it.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
He said his friend couldn't handle Ritz/MO/Pen prices, Upper House is in the same price range isn't it.
With the exception of the W and Icon, most of the ones discussed in the thread are price comparable. Maybe if the person is rigorous about cool andprice sensitive they could try the Ovolo in Aberdeen, which is NOT luxury and NOT central - but actually kind of interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.