Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanresorts Thread 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I saw the Aman Tokyo article when in Tokyo. The prices are actually very reasonable for a hotel of this calibre. The food is probably good to excellent like their tea set. Always thought they should have had a 1* sushi bar at Aman Tokyo.

Last edited by Aventine; Sep 19, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

FlyerEC, good to hear!

Aventine, unfortunately doesnt seem consistent yet here

hotelsmag.com/Industry/News/Details/66696?allowguest=true
From the Oriental, it’s the focus on attention to details, the way service was executed, how it really looked at the guest history, for example; and the planning and organization of events. I was in F&B, which is always the most complicated but most interesting aspect of hotel operations because each situation, planning, set-up is different.

At Amanresorts, I had a lucky break. I was fairly young, 28, and was hotel manager with Amanpuri, then Amandari a year later. That changed my mindset, as I moved from a 500-room hotel to 40 rooms. Yet the intensity was greater. There was so much more interaction between guests and staff, and management and staff. In big hotels, you don’t even see some staff. The rate was US$500 higher than Oriental and there was so much expectation in those days. You had to train inexperienced staff from the villages, talk to village chiefs to build relations – it’s just a completely different setup. In Ubud, it was even more complex because of the village culture, and you learn how not to upset traditions.

I’m trying to apply some of that experience here today. As a hotel, we have to be responsible and respectful of local cultures and traditions. Sometimes we lose the plot; we are so high-tech and connected all the time that we lose touch of people. There is still a lot of room for independents to create a local experience...The big chains have better scale and efficiencies, but the independents, being smaller, are in touch with the local environment, can make quicker decisions and are more nimble. Even as a company we are not that big but we know our staff, we know our suppliers, we build relationships and look at things in a more in-depth fashion.
hnworth.com/article/2016/05/20/chris-teo-roxy-pacific/
That’s what hospitality is about today. It’s not about systems or technology

...be their natural self rather than follow a very structured way of service...I talk to my staff a lot...flexible in their thinking...

Once we get feedback, we can solve problems and keep moving things along. It’s a small property, so it’s very flexible. There’s a certain advantage in being small: you adapt to situations very quickly. Sometimes size matters and there’s no rocket science to that.

...in Singapore today, human resources is a major challenge for hotels...
deer and uggboy like this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 19, 2017 at 6:58 pm
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:12 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Quick update. Was at Amanpuri - the Thai restaurant is under renovation, ate at the Italian, but they offered Thai (it was stunningly good). Curious to try the South American lounge, but bizzare re: DJ on some nights (and every night during festive period ... ugh. Thankfully no DJ during my visit). They do close off the glass walls to contain the sound, but the whole set up doesn't sound very Aman at all. The lounge otherwise looks very well set up though, and keen to try the food there but didn't have the time.

Saw the 8-bedroom villa. That's Villa #7 @Kagehitokiri. Just a few quick snaps...

Last edited by chinmoylad; Sep 20, 2017 at 10:21 am
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Quick update. Was at Amanpuri - the Thai restaurant is under renovation, ate at the Italian, but they offered Thai (it was stunningly good). Curious to try the South American lounge, but bizzare re: DJ on some nights (and every night during festive period ... ugh). They do close off the glass walls to contain the sound, but the whole set up doesn't sound very Aman at all. The lounge otherwise looks very well set up though, and keen to try the food there but didn't have the time.

Saw the 8-bedroom villa..
As in all Amans , we can choose to eat just about whatever and wherever

Whims & fancies of a particular owner ..
Well , if the ownership changes really happen in our favour , hope for the better , the South American lounge will become ( normal original ) Aman
Did you see the private dining area ?

And the Italian will have AC again !! Helps when it is really wet or windy
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope the DJ stays there and never migrates to another properties.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
As in all Amans , we can choose to eat just about whatever and wherever

Whims & fancies of a particular owner ..
Well , if the ownership changes really happen in our favour , hope for the better , the South American lounge will become ( normal original ) Aman
Did you see the private dining area ?

And the Italian will have AC again !! Helps when it is really wet or windy
Private dining in the South American/Lounge? Yes, it's a large (one piece?) wood table, seats 14, next to the wine cellar.

Italian restaurant had AC.

Beach Club has also opened up the 'closed area' so you can now see the kitchen and the pizza oven (they have a new one I believe).

Movie screenings behind the bar as well.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I hope the DJ stays there and never migrates to another properties.
Hope he leaves even that to be honest....just ugh.
FlyerEC and vuittonsofstyle like this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Hope he leaves even that to be honest....just ugh.
Private dining in the South American/Lounge? Yes, it's a large (one piece?) wood table, seats 14, next to the wine cellar.

Italian restaurant had AC.

Beach Club has also opened up the 'closed area' so you can now see the kitchen and the pizza oven (they have a new one I believe).

Movie screenings behind the bar as well.
Yes , that's the one by the wine cellar .

Oh good , my complaints worked about the Italian restaurant AC
There wasn't any / had not been reinstalled yet in Feb so must have come to practical senses & put it in over the annual June maintenance / closure .
What a relief !

Now to get that DJ off property & far away , not even at The Surin as the noise does carry .

So much for Aman !
rolleyes Did someone lose the plot , forget the meaning of Aman ??!! rolleyes

HQ " know " or .. ?

Last edited by FlyerEC; Sep 20, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:08 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Quick update. Was at Amanpuri - the Thai restaurant is under renovation, ate at the Italian, but they offered Thai (it was stunningly good). Curious to try the South American lounge, but bizzare re: DJ on some nights (and every night during festive period ... ugh. Thankfully no DJ during my visit). They do close off the glass walls to contain the sound, but the whole set up doesn't sound very Aman at all.
Indeed it doesn't! A DJ? What the hell?

It's the unique peace and quiet that has made me an Amanjunkie. DJ's certainly have their place, but it ain't Aman.
deer and Aventine like this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scented
Has anyone stayed at Aman Tokyo recently? Have they finally gotten their act together? The way the hotel seems to deal with its guests is a bit concerning... TripAdvisor comments are addressed with "Dear Guest", as is correspondence within the hotel plus welcome letters. Fairly anonymous for my taste. In a city like Tokyo, the typical heartfelt Aman welcome would be much appreciated, from what I gather they still fail to deliver.

I hear this "issue" has been fixed, although I find this hard to believe. Marc Handl seems like an experienced hospitality professional, but does he understand what makes an Aman?
It's still a generic, computerized card signed by a Japanese Front office manager, since Marc departed. They definitely could still use a more personal touch.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:34 pm

Now to get that DJ off property & far away , not even at The Surin as the noise does carry .
Maybe Miavana, where only @MacMyDay would suffer

So much for Aman !
rolleyes Did someone lose the plot , forget the meaning of Aman ??!! rolleyes

HQ " know " or .. ?
Something (just a hunch) tells me this would be HQ led. Scary if so...

It needs stopping right away. There's a time and a place for a DJ. It isn't at an Aman.

Even now, stepping into Amanpuri just feels a whole world away from 'Phuket'. It's so absolutely stunning.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Maybe Miavana, where only @MacMyDay would suffer

Something (just a hunch) tells me this would be HQ led. Scary if so...

It needs stopping right away. There's a time and a place for a DJ. It isn't at an Aman.

Even now, stepping into Amanpuri just feels a whole world away from 'Phuket'. It's so absolutely stunning.
I can only hope that it's lounge music at a moderate volume which might possibly work in that venue. There was actually a DJ by the pool in the afternoon at Katikies this summer, which worked better than it sounds. Calculated to encourage people to order cocktails and rose while sunbathing I think!

I remember an extremely loud band at the Rhu Bar at the FS Langkawi which truly ruined the whole experience.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Finally a bit of a tease on the upcoming NYC property!

https://www.aman.com/resorts/amansnewisland
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A pity the rooms are going to be much lower down.
deer likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:15 pm

Bali's Mount Agung is on eruption alert. Tens of thousands evacuated, airports on alert.
http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...22e3cac8563d05

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.