Search

Switzerland Luxury Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:55 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
I don’t trust the internet on this, but i do trust this forum. We have just started our Swiss trip. The service has been incredible, and most places have not had a service charge on the bill, and include a tip line when we charge it to our room. Despite the internet saying tipping is not required, is that really the case at these luxury hotels ? I’ve still been tipping.
Throughout Europe, we tend to tip only up a few euros or so to round our bill up to the nearest 5 or 10 euros (or other currency) total. Especially with restaurants, taxis, porters/valets, etc. Only when we get especially memorable service, something out of the way and special, are we likely to tip more American-style to show particular appreciation.

We’ll be in Zurich in early October.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:45 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: SLH Indulged, M&M, SPG, IHG Elite, Hyatt Member
I stayed in the Waldhaus Flims this summer for a weekend. Now I finished my review on my blog:
http://www.continentaltraveller.blog...in-switzerland
(FT review will follow)

tl;dr: It's a great luxury hotel complex of the Belle Epoque consisting of a nice park and several buildings. Service was Swiss-like friendly and everything (food, spa, amenities) was of high quality. Minor flaws: breakfast was not up to par somehow and the bathroom and balcony were ridiculously tiny. I had a single category upgrade from the lowest category courtesy of my LHW membership. The main attraction is the modern spa, which integrated nicely into the surrounding nature. For skiers: The Waldhaus is the only luxury hotel in the huge Flims-Laax-Falera ski area.

For more photos, see my blog: http://www.continentaltraveller.blog...in-switzerland
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Park Hotel Vitznau

Just an update from a recent five night stay at the Park Hotel Vitznau

I just spent five days at the Park Hotel for a time of reteat to do some writing. I was by myself, and booked it through Citi to get the 4th night free (Citi Prestige card benefit). I arrived about noon after a very easy drive from Zurich airport. The Citi concierge had let them know my beverage request and my arrival time. When I pulled in, they greeted me by name and welcomed me. They immediately took my car to park it and welcomed me into the hotel. Check in was in-room after a brief tour of the hotel.

Room: I booked a Mountain view Suite. In reality, the view from this category is not really of the mountains over the lake, it's of the side of a cliff in the town - not particularly scenic. When I walked in, I asked about a view of the lake. The girl said she would be happy to call her colleague and see if they had another suite available, but as she said that, I walked into the bedroom and saw that there was a great view of the lake from the bedroom. I told her that I was happy and thanked her for offering. And truly, the scenic hotel is set in the perfect location and is truly jaw-dropping. The room was incredibly spacious, with a great sized living room - there was a Nespresso machine, tea kettle, hot plate, and the mini bar. They had stocked the mini bar with Diet Coke and sparkling water, as I had requested (the mini bar, including alcohol, is complimentary and restocked upon request). The bedroom was a bit smaller but the bathroom attached without a door is very spacious, so the whole room felt large. There was a giant round bathtub in the middle of the bathroom, a phenomenal rain shower, and toilet and bidet. The floors in the bathroom were heated (though the controls were a bit hard to figure out). My room was at the end of the hall on the 4th floor. It had two large outer doors, and another set of interior doors. It was very well done. The bed was an adjustable double twin bed with great bedding (but beware, they do not use top sheets - standard European duvet only. There was a pillow menu, but I was happy with what I had.

HVAC: When I was there is was about 60 degrees out during the day, much cooler at night. Unfortunately for me, the AC did not lower the temperature in the room. In fact, I'm not sure it was even operational at all. I never called to ask about it - I just slept with my balcony door open, which got it nice and cold in the room. But I would inquire about this for certain before a summer stay.

Dining: I did not dine in either of the formal dining areas, as I was by myself. But I did eat in the bar, and the bar's menu had many items from the main restaurants on the menu. The menu is quite pricey, even in the bar, but probably not exorbitant, considering the level of hotel and Switzerland costs. Breakfast was complimentary and full buffet plus full menu, and there were a ton of great options. I was amazed by how extensive the breakfast was. I typically took breakfast around 1030 each morning, which meant not needing to eat lunch most days. There was also the option for in-room breakfast, still complimentary.

Spa: The spa was incredibly extensive and, when I was there, nearly empty. The gym was a let-down, as it was only cardio and one cable crossover machine and dumbbells only up to about 25lbs. But then, the spa made up for it. Heated outdoor pool and whirlpool, indoor wet sauna, dry sauna, steam room, cold plunge pool, igloo room, and quiet room. All of that is included and complimentary. I did not use any spa services, though.

Service: This is where the place really shines. It was as good as any service I've had an any Aman. Perhaps it was because there was not a lot of occupancy (or at least it didn't feel like it). But the service was incredible. Everyone in the hotel knew me - which is impressive considering I did not use the concierge for much, and was very quiet and low-key. But they just caught on to everything. Each afternoon I would come back from the local Catholic Church about 3pm. After the first day I came home I called and asked for a bucket of ice. Every afternoon after that, by the time I got to my room, there was a fresh bucket of ice, 2 Diet Cokes, and a fresh flower. Room service was truly invisible - always making up my room morning and evening without me ever seeing them, and flawlessly done. One morning I was going to take the train up to the top of the mountain. I mentioned it as I walked to breakfast. Within minutes of sitting down, a train ticket was printed and delivered to my table and billed to my room. When I went to leave, they handed me a "hiker's bag" of water, fruit, and granola. On my last day I went for a drive to Lucerne. When I returned the GM greeted me and apologized he hadn't introduced himself sooner - but said he never wanted to bother me when he saw me sitting outside or in the library. He was very gracious and generous and left a small box of chocolates for me that night with turn down. When I went to depart for the airport at 4am that morning, the front desk associate said he had been concerned I was running a bit late, but "I walked outside and saw that you had turned on your lights, so I knew you were awake and wouldn't miss your flight". Unbelievable.

Again, it was a perfect trip and the hotel hit every mark. I'd double check on the AC situation, but otherwise, it couldn't be better.
KatW, SanDiego1K, dgreen12 and 6 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:12 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Thanks for the review! PHV is just a fantastic property. We're excited about our returning visit in June
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:40 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Speaking of Swiss hotels, are there any really good spa hotels in easy reach of Geneva airport. I'm looking at La Réserve but for some reason I don't feel blown away by it.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by SilverSpoon
Speaking of Swiss hotels, are there any really good spa hotels in easy reach of Geneva airport. I'm looking at La Réserve but for some reason I don't feel blown away by it.
Depends on how far you want to travel from GVA airport.

The town of Lausanne is accessible by a 50 minute train ride that leaves directly from GVA airport.
https://www.brp.ch/en/home/

On the other side of the lake is Evian:
https://www.hotel-royal-evian.com/en/home/
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:33 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by francophile

On the other side of the lake is Evian:
https://www.hotel-royal-evian.com/en/home/
I found Evian a challenge to reach from the Geneva Airport. I want to say it took me 3 or 4 hours. I had to get to the main train station, then take a train and a connection. This was 3 or 4 years ago so maybe there is a more efficient way now.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:09 pm

Thank you so much! I have been to Lausanne and it's beautiful.

Looking on the Evian Hotel website it says 28 miles from the airport and 140EURO in a car?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:23 pm
Community Director Emerita

Looking on the Evian Hotel website it says 28 miles from the airport and 140EURO in a car?
Taking a car would be a lot smarter than what I did.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Staying at the Four Seasons in Geneva this weekend. One of my favorite hotels.

In June I’ll be visiting the Savoy in Lausseane . I think the hotel is very underrated, and the lake view suite is very, very good value.
scented and CappuccinoAddict like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:31 am

FS Bergues is an amazing hotel, but I find the spa a bit underwhelming.

Depending on what kind of Spa you are looking for, Clinique La Prairie in Montreux has an incredible Spa, although lacks a chemical-free option IIRC (much like FS Bergues). If you want to travel a little further, I am fond of Alpina Gstaad’s Six Senses Spa.

Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:00 am

Thank you both!! Yes, I looked at Four Seasons Geneva which looks gorgeous but we really wanted a spa hotel with outdoor pool to relax in rather than a city hotel, I think I'll go to FS for dinner though.

I've stayed at the Savoy for work and I agree it's lovely. It's not the Beau Rivage Palace but still very comfortable with great food.

It does have to be Geneva this time I'm afraid but thank you! We looked at the Alpina Gstaad before and it's definitely on the list. My husband also found a hotel called 7132 which I personally hadn't heard of but it looks beautiful. This time it was too far for us.

We've booked La Reserve so I will report back!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:23 am

We've booked La Reserve so I will report back!
I would avoid. We were upgraded to the penthouse and still were disappointed by it. Food, in particular, was dreadful. The only positive over the Four Seasons is the complimentary boat to take you into town.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
At the Four Seasons right now. Definitely a tier 1 four seasons property. My only irritation is the number of prostitutes I see everywhere.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
7132 is nice but the spa gets quite busy. Best value is staying in the Penthouse Suite, which includes helicopter transfers from anywhere in Switzerland (weather dependent). Our favorite getaway is the Waldhotel Bürgenstock near Luzern. Virtuoso rate provides 2x 50 min massage and $100 credit so it is a great deal - we often have the spa to ourselves (and best hotel gym we’ve experienced). The main resort has the lake views and is more high end but Waldhotel quieter and (in my opinion) better value.

In general, I would not expect any resorts in Switzerland to have air-con, as there are laws around this (rules depend on the canton). As far as I know, anywhere in the mountains is forbidden from having A/C but you can open the windows and enjoy the fresh air!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.