Reload this Page >

Switzerland Luxury Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switzerland Luxury Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:06 am

No one with any sense or sophistication takes a holiday in Europe during July and August. Only those with kids in tow and are prepared for rip-off prices, packed pools and chaotic service.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by scented
Looks as though you were in a Deluxe Suite... from what I remember the toilet situation is the same throughout the hotel. I know Gathy likes to joke about his "sexy" bathrooms, though I struggle to meet his definition of it. Awful.

How was the service?
It's even worse when you consider the suite is open planned. Due to a long and boring story involving them giving us one of the worst arrival experiences I've seen, whereby we were given a room and then accidentally moved half our belongings to another room, we saw 2 suites: one had no door at all to the bathroom, another (which we chose) had a door, but then behind the bed were the sinks and those led directly to the bathroom sans door. I find it unfathomable that after 5 years of being open that enough people have not complained about it in order to get it changed.

As for the service, excluding the reception and check-in, it was just what I'd call fine. Nothing to complain about, nothing to praise. Food was very good though. All pictures of the spa were at 6am, an hour before they open, in case anyone gets excited about it being that empty - it was definitely not.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
We were at Park Hotel Vitznau in June before the crazy season you describe and it was an absolute dream. Thanks for suggesting it Macmyday!
Old Jul 21, 2018, 2:38 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by MacMyDay

Yes, that is the toilet. Yes, that is the toilet with the door closed. No, I do not know how that is not banned by the United Nations.
I like that the 'head' of the bath is at the right side of the photo - now you too can watch your significant other excrete while you relax in a bath.
Ericka and MacMyDay like this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Valveking
We were at Park Hotel Vitznau in June before the crazy season you describe and it was an absolute dream. Thanks for suggesting it Macmyday!
And thank you for listening to me. It is a first, I feel.

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
I like that the 'head' of the bath is at the right side of the photo - now you too can watch your significant other excrete while you relax in a bath.
Even better, it's opposite the shower too - which has exactly the same door. Stand there, show your glory and stare directly into each others eyes whilst Barry White plays.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 4:17 am

Next-up: Baur au Lac, where we stayed in a Junior Suite

A perfectly decent city hotel and nothing more. Were it between The Dolder Grand or Baur au Lac will entirely depend if you want to be in town or not and how important a spa is to you. The location is perfect, with everything within walking distance, but I would still pick The Dolder Grand due to the views and pleasant walks through the woods. The one area I really appreciated was Baur's 8 year room refresh policy, whereby every 8 years every room is refreshed, but do it in small chunks of around 15 rooms per year. This gave a unique opportunity to choose the room you want, based on the year it was made, so I felt a hint of sophistication in my life whilst requesting the classic 2014 vintage.

There is a garden, but do not go thinking it's Four Seasons Florence, The Goring or Hotel de Russie, as it's right next to a main road and it's more for show than practical use. Service was fine, food is what I consider standard Swiss prices and standard Swiss luxury hotel quality (i.e. very expensive and not great), but concierge recommended some very good restaurants nearby. We also decided to return to The Restaurant at The Dolder Grand for lunch one day, which sadly only offered 5 course tasting menu rather than their signature 10, as apparently business people only have 2 hours spare for lunch in Zurich, not 3. Tempting to move here with business lunches of this quality and length. It was not as good as last time, but it is still amongst my favourite restaurants in the world. The generosity is also very clear, with an overload of canapés, amuse-bouches and after dinner snacks. We walked back to Baur au Lac afterwards, which took around 45 minutes and gave me my de-facto sunburn of the holiday.

The only major issue was noise. On the first night a party was taking place and we could hear the bass approaching midnight. When we phoned down to complain they did reduce the noise, but still not significantly, so I'd recommend a higher floor and lake facing - not because you'll actually see the lake at all, but because it means you're away from the road.

I would return were I needing to be in Zurich, but whilst The Dolder Grand is a destination hotel, Baur au Lac is not worth visiting simply for the sake of the hotel. It is easily the best option within central Zurich, far surpassing The Widder or Park Hyatt.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Yes, that is the toilet. Yes, that is the toilet with the door closed. No, I do not know how that is not banned by the United Nations.
Without doubt not great but many high end hotels still offer bathrooms without separated toilets. So not such a great deal to me.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
Without doubt not great but many high end hotels still offer bathrooms without separated toilets. So not such a great deal to me.
I hear ya, but the difference is that those bathrooms have solid doors on them, so no one can enter - these do not, they are open planned.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

dolder would not serve 10 course on request?

lunch offers a la carte (dinner does not)
curious re 5 course amuse bouche option

wonder re top upgrades at alpina and chedi
la reserve geneva villa rates are 5 figures
alpina chalet suite seems from 4 figures
scented likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 22, 2018 at 8:00 pm
Old Jul 22, 2018, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
dolder would not serve 10 course on request?

lunch offers a la carte (dinner does not)
curious re 5 course amuse bouche option

wonder re top upgrades at alpina and chedi
la reserve geneva villa rates are 5 figures
Chedi almost handing out lowish upgrades to everyone asking, very common is from Junior Suite to Deluxe Suite or from Grand Deluxe Room to Junior Suite, but don't dare to inquire about upgrades from Grand Deluxe Suite to Gemsstock or Furka Suite. I once asked and they answered "Why don't you book a standard room and we upgrade you to a Deluxe Suite?"... well thank you.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I hear ya, but the difference is that those bathrooms have solid doors on them, so no one can enter - these do not, they are open planned.
In this case I 100% agree - unacceptable.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:44 pm

We returned to Park Hotel Vitznau a few days ago for a 3 night stay in order to meet the wedding planners. I should have known better than to visit a European hotel in peak-Summer; I have always avoided it for these very reasons, so PHV is not alone in is misdemeanours. It will not alter our plans for getting married here, but it really does highlight the difference of staying in some properties during full occupancy. Perhaps had we not come last May during a quiet period we would not have the same expectations, but we did. Gone is the serenity, the slick service, the thought-through welcome and empty spa and pool. Thankfully it has not been replaced by the Insta-crowds of Villa Honegg, so could be worse, yet the endless waiting around for orders, the inability to get a table or seat near the pool begins to irritate after enough time. So definitely go, but get the most out of it and avoid July and August.
We were there probably just a few days after you, and had a similar experience. The service was – given the price point – a disaster. The icing on the cake was the total indifference when we mentioned our displeasure to the front desk staffer at checkout. No apology, no offer to speak to the manager; just a shrug.

After PHV, we went to Alpina Gstaad, and what a contrast. Proactive, warm service at every step (and a stellar hard product). We loved it so much we ended up extending our visit by a night. One of my favorite hotel stays in quite a while.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by mattjp
We were there probably just a few days after you, and had a similar experience. The service was – given the price point – a disaster. The icing on the cake was the total indifference when we mentioned our displeasure to the front desk staffer at checkout. No apology, no offer to speak to the manager; just a shrug.

After PHV, we went to Alpina Gstaad, and what a contrast. Proactive, warm service at every step (and a stellar hard product). We loved it so much we ended up extending our visit by a night. One of my favorite hotel stays in quite a while.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I don’t trust the internet on this, but i do trust this forum. We have just started our Swiss trip. The service has been incredible, and most places have not had a service charge on the bill, and include a tip line when we charge it to our room. Despite the internet saying tipping is not required, is that really the case at these luxury hotels ? I’ve still been tipping.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
I don’t trust the internet on this, but i do trust this forum. We have just started our Swiss trip. The service has been incredible, and most places have not had a service charge on the bill, and include a tip line when we charge it to our room. Despite the internet saying tipping is not required, is that really the case at these luxury hotels ? I’ve still been tipping.
I would quote in restaurants (max 10%, generally up to the next but one round 10 i.e, if bill = 164 CHF, make to 180). Maybe 10 CHF on spa treatments, but it isn't required. More that if the service is beyond what you may have expected, I would tip (also if on a Virtuoso free spa treatment, I would tip as I doubt any service charge goes to the staff on these). For a casual lunch, or if service was only minimum acceptable, I wouldn't tip at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.