Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:53 am

Don't hold your breath for PH BKK anytime soon, they are still furnishing the rooms so I'd say about Q2, 2017 soft opening if there are no further delays. But if anything, PH will be competition for St Regis -- I am not sure the leisure guests have waited for PH! Try Siam, MO or Pen instead, all wonderful. And if being on the river is not alluring to you, Grand Hyatt Erawan is another solid option.

Park Hyatt Bangkok Construction Update July 2016
Old Aug 3, 2016, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Why is this thread a review Did I miss something?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:13 am

Due to someone posting ads in review form I fear. Nothing new unfortunately.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Sounds like it's a toss up between the Peninsula and the Mandarin. Sell them to me!
Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:16 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
I'm not a fan of the lobby of the MO which often appears as a zoo and the fact that the hotel is very frequently visited by tourist coaches that invade the bar and restaurant areas.
That hotel isn't interesting to me apart from the author's wing. But from a value for money point of view, I don't find it particularly exciting. The Pen has a disturbing location for me given what I like to do in Bangkok but many will disagree.

The Siam is an extraordinary property. The St Regis is ok, especially if you can swing the Caroline Astor Suite. The Okura is indeed a nice property.
Plenty of cheaper options around that are ok like the Kempinski, the Anantara (former Four Seasons) and the Grande Sheraton. It does depend on what you're looking for.
If you know Bangkok well already, the Siam has the advantage to give you a very different, quieter, flavour of Bangkok
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by SeamasterLux
I'm not a fan of the lobby of the MO which often appears as a zoo and the fact that the hotel is very frequently visited by tourist coaches that invade the bar and restaurant areas.
I don't doubt that you saw this, but I do doubt the claim that this happens frequently. I've never seen anything like a zoo or tourist coaches full of people invading the bar and restaurants in all my stays over the years. It's been quite the opposite during my stays. The lobby is tightly controlled and especially tightly controlled when a member of the royal family is present.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
hmmmmmmm... I see a park place at 'Heathrow' I use the term Heathrow loosely!.......Interesting.

When does the PH Bangkok open?
Not Park Place.....it's the Hyatt Place Heathrow Hayes....and it looks very nice, much better than Hyatt Places in the USA, even the new ones.

The opening date for the PH has been pushed back a number of times, so who really knows? This is Thailand.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I don't doubt that you saw this, but I do doubt the claim that this happens frequently. I've never seen anything like a zoo or tourist coaches full of people invading the bar and restaurants in all my stays over the years. It's been quite the opposite during my stays. The lobby is tightly controlled and especially tightly controlled when a member of the royal family is present.
Having stayed at MO BK for over 3 decades I have never, ever seen this, either. I thought that the Lobby was the nicest I had seen it - very calm and attractive, with a pleasant buzz of guests.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
As uggboy said, it's important to know what room type you were in. We've said several times in the old thread that the lower level rooms were not special and not materially different from any other hotel. From a Mandarin room on up though, you know you are in a fine hotel.
Delux, so that explains it. We were only there for one night, so it was not a big deal, but I was a bit surprised given Lyn Middlehurst's rave. Service was excellent, as expected. We were pretty disappointed with the cocktail selection by the pool (it's decidedly Texas sorority girl sweet) but the beautiful on property bar more than made up for that.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
Sounds like it's a toss up between the Peninsula and the Mandarin. Sell them to me!
Incorrect

It's the Siam and the Siam alone....then, a tossup between Mandarin Oriental and Peninsula.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:15 pm

I prefer St Regis or anantara because I can walk to hair of the dog beer bar!
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Incorrect

It's the Siam and the Siam alone....then, a tossup between Mandarin Oriental and Peninsula.
I've made this point in other threads, so apologies for repeating it. We all have our preferences and likes when comparing the top hotels in cities around the world. But the difference maker in Bangkok is the age and history of the Oriental hotel. It is now celebrating its 140th year and you just cannot buy that kind of illustrious past. No amount of money invested in the other fine Bangkok hotels can give them what the Oriental has. And if you can recognize and appreciate what that history means, then there is no other choice than the Oriental.

All IMHO of course.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Kempinski.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Kempinski.
May very well be the best Kempinski. For Bangkok however it's fairly average, and nowhere near the Top 10.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
I haven't been swayed by the Siam. I get the impression that it's a place best if you want to spend a whole day there relaxing or if you're a BKK veteran and just want to get away from it. I like to be a bit a nearer the action, I don't think we would get the best of it.

I was drawn to the Pen because I've had friends and associates who have stayed at the one in Tokyo & HKG rave about it and until have never had the opportunity to stay in one untill now.

However I do have a sentimentality towards the 19the century orient and the glamour of travellers to Indochina in those early days. I've only stayed in 2 MO and eaten at another two and I've found that the decor is bordering on gaudy in them. Is the MO styled in a colonial fashion, say like the Sofitel Hanoi and do you feel that way there or a bit more Russian oligarch?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.