Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2016, 12:29 am

I have been out of Asia for a few years and not kept updated. Just noticed the FS Bangkok has rebranded as Anantar. Would anyone know if the reasons where due to quality or something else? I quite liked the FS when I was there 4 years ago.

Originally Posted by erik123
Because it's worth it? The [MO] do offer some very good corporate rates.
Care to divulge which companies? I have a good deal of corporate contact in different spots in town that could "invite" me if I knew where to look.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 12:58 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
I have been out of Asia for a few years and not kept updated. Just noticed the FS Bangkok has rebranded as Anantar. Would anyone know if the reasons where due to quality or something else? I quite liked the FS when I was there 4 years ago.

Care to divulge which companies? I have a good deal of corporate contact in different spots in town that could "invite" me if I knew where to look.
Well , the hotel is owned by Minor Group which also owns & manages Anantara Hotels
Also many of the Marriotts in Thailand , etcetera , globally ; Minor is actually rather major .
Think posted on other threads , about who owns Minor too ..

As for MOBKK , just check with your key & / or ' major ' corporations contacts ..
Old Sep 10, 2016, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Well , the hotel is owned by Minor Group which also owns & manages Anantara Hotels
Also many of the Marriotts in Thailand , etcetera , globally ; Minor is actually rather major .
Think posted on other threads , about who owns Minor too ..
Sorry if I'm being thick but I'm not sure if I understand the message between the lines here. Or was this just trivia?
Old Sep 10, 2016, 4:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Sorry if I'm being thick but I'm not sure if I understand the message between the lines here. Or was this just trivia?
Have you googled Minor ?
It will answer your question on FS / Anantara !

Not trivia for sure , they , ( Minor Hotel Group ) are really major
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: LH FTL
Hey Guys,

If you'd need to advice a "first timer" on honeymoon trip for a nice BKK hotel, which is still affordable, which one would you chose and why? We will be there for 3 nights before we move towards Koh Phangan.

On the long list are:

- Shangri-La, Krungthep Deluxe Balcony or Horizon Club room
- Eastin Sathorn (pretty affordable and excellent reviews), Executive Superior
- Conrad Bangkok, Deluxe Room
- Anantara Riverside, Junior Premier Suite or
- Banyan Tree, Serenity Club or 1-Bedroom Suite

Thanks for any hint and advice

P.S. Mandarin Oriental is beyond budget, Peninsula would may fit into a stretched budget but costs ~ 20% more.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by FlyDUS
Hey Guys,

If you'd need to advice a "first timer" on honeymoon trip for a nice BKK hotel, which is still affordable, which one would you chose and why? We will be there for 3 nights before we move towards Koh Phangan.

On the long list are:

P.S. Mandarin Oriental is beyond budget, Peninsula would may fit into a stretched budget but costs ~ 20% more.
The Peninsula is highly regarded here, and if you can stretch your budget to make it happen, you'd be very happy there. It is in an entirely different league. But Bangkok is a wonderful place to spend on incidentals, so maybe a lesser hotel and more things you can do and explore?

I don't like Shangri-La very much, but their BKK outpost has many fans, especially on Club level. Also I do like the Anantara hotels in BKK, riverside is solid and well managed - but maybe you should also consider their ex FS property (branded Anantara Siam Bangkok) - easily the best out of them all.

Never heard of Eastin before. Stay away from Banyan Tree and Conrad. Both provide a fairly anonymous experience. You don't want that for a honeymoon.

If you want to impress your husband/wife, book a Spa treatment at the Siam!
Old Sep 25, 2016, 1:05 pm
Suspended

If you want budget, I recommend Riva Arun. Same design team (Bill Bensley & Co.) behind the Siam. It's my second choice in BKK.

$100-400 USD/night with views of Wat Arun.

Last edited by pricesquire; Sep 25, 2016 at 1:11 pm
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by scented
The Peninsula is highly regarded here, and if you can stretch your budget to make it happen, you'd be very happy there. It is in an entirely different league. But Bangkok is a wonderful place to spend on incidentals, so maybe a lesser hotel and more things you can do and explore?

I don't like Shangri-La very much, but their BKK outpost has many fans, especially on Club level. Also I do like the Anantara hotels in BKK, riverside is solid and well managed - but maybe you should also consider their ex FS property (branded Anantara Siam Bangkok) - easily the best out of them all.

Never heard of Eastin before. Stay away from Banyan Tree and Conrad. Both provide a fairly anonymous experience. You don't want that for a honeymoon.

If you want to impress your husband/wife, book a Spa treatment at the Siam!
Thanks for those great hints. I just checked again for pricing.

Peninsula is 820 USD for a balcony room incl bf. Suite is 1050 USD.

Anantara Siam is 600 USD for deluxe room and 800 USD for kasara.

Each for 3 nights.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:25 pm

@Riva Arun:

Thanks! This looks nice.

Last edited by FlyDUS; Sep 25, 2016 at 3:30 pm
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:53 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by pricesquire
If you want budget, I recommend Riva Arun. Same design team (Bill Bensley & Co.) behind the Siam. It's my second choice in BKK.

$100-400 USD/night with views of Wat Arun.

Been a while since I did Bangkok - didn't know about this property. Very nice!
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:30 pm

Hey Guys,

On the long list are:

What kind of rate are you being offered for the S-L Krungthep deluxe room? Of the options you have listed, that would be my choice. If you can manage the Peninsula, even in a standard/deluxe room, even better.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:49 am

Have the S-L BKK Krungthep rooms/Public areas been updated yet? Last time we were there they were looking a bit .... tired and in need of a refurb. Good location though, close to a skytrain station for access to centre.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
What kind of rate are you being offered for the S-L Krungthep deluxe room? Of the options you have listed, that would be my choice. If you can manage the Peninsula, even in a standard/deluxe room, even better.
Hi, S-L Krungthep Deluxe is 750 USD - the same for the Horizon Club room.
Peninsula is 820 USD as stated for the Balcony room (I believe the "entry level room" category?).
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:17 am

Hi, S-L Krungthep Deluxe is 750 USD - the same for the Horizon Club room.
Peninsula is 820 USD as stated for the Balcony room (I believe the "entry level room" category?).
Rates are quoted in USD?

In any case, I would highly recommend The Peninsula over S-L Krungthep for that small uptick in rate.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Been a while since I did Bangkok - didn't know about this property. Very nice!
I didn't know either, but when I had a client who couldn't afford the Siam, but wanted the Siam's style, I reached out to Bill & his team and this is what I got GREAT client feedback thus far!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.