Hong Kong: FS, Ritz, or Penn?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong: FS, Ritz, or Penn?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Baghoarder
Yes, for me UH is head and shoulders above the other options at Pacific Place. I do think Cafe Gray Deluxe is no longer what it once was though.
Originally Posted by offerendum
Depends on your needs and likings. Itīs the old question Kowloon or Central
Agree about TUH . Cafe Gray breakfasts are still very good along with the fantastic view .

The locals stick to Central or HK island unless certain parts in Kowloon ( like UES in NYC ) & are linked with the owners .

Main " Mainlanders " are primarily in Kowloon - hotels .
yet

So if only these 3 hotels , then FS & perhaps a night or 2 in Pen to check your bucket list . Forget staying at RC , if there is time just visit so off bucket list if it was on it ..
Old Jun 11, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Forget staying at RC , if there is time just visit so off bucket list if it was on it ..
If merely visiting a hotel is on someone's "bucket list" I'd say they need to dream a little bigger and rewrite their bucket list...

Regards
Old Jun 19, 2016, 3:08 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by scubadu
If merely visiting a hotel is on someone's "bucket list" I'd say they need to dream a little bigger and rewrite their bucket list...

Regards
Exactly .. ; ..
Some get the drift but possibly many don ' t .

Perhaps they meant it for a different forum
Old Jun 19, 2016, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
Hotels are the home for many here for several months of the year and an integral part of traveling. And what's not to love about traveling
Old Jul 4, 2016, 1:41 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Four Seasons

I've only had perfect stays at the Four Seasons. Report here--->> http://sitinfirst.com/2015/08/four-seasons-hong-kong-another-perfect-stay/

Pen is the classic option in HKG. RC is a strong hotel by global standards, but weakest of he three you suggested. It is like the Plaza in NY...and gets a lot of transient traffic.

I've not stayed (yet), but the Upper House seems to garner consistently high reviews.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 7:48 pm

When I first moved to HK I was put up in the FS Place for once month. I loved the beds and the facilities, the Blue Bar is one of my favourite in HK(they do the most amazing martinis.) However I prefer RC, their corner suites are stunning and their ESPA spa/pool is better than the FS. Service is fantastic especially in their club lounge.

I've not stayed at the Upper House, I've been there for drinks and the design is incredible...it's on my list for a staycation.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 8:29 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by kmills84
When I first moved to HK I was put up in the FS Place for once month. I loved the beds and the facilities, the Blue Bar is one of my favourite in HK(they do the most amazing martinis.) However I prefer RC, their corner suites are stunning and their ESPA spa/pool is better than the FS. Service is fantastic especially in their club lounge.

I've not stayed at the Upper House, I've been there for drinks and the design is incredible...it's on my list for a staycation.
RC certainly divides opinions on this forum By all accounts Four Seasons Hong Kong is absolutely fantastic - I, unfortunately, just can't get over how business-like the hotel is.

Have you tried Landmark Mandarin Oriental yet? The refurbished rooms are very nice. Upper House is my favourite, but having said that it is time for them to do a bit of refurbishing as well.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
RC certainly divides opinions on this forum By all accounts Four Seasons Hong Kong is absolutely fantastic - I, unfortunately, just can't get over how business-like the hotel is.

Have you tried Landmark Mandarin Oriental yet? The refurbished rooms are very nice. Upper House is my favourite, but having said that it is time for them to do a bit of refurbishing as well.
Yes i found them more business like, despite the good location to Central id pick the RC. I've not stayed in any MO in HK, I've got a good friend who always stays in the LMMO when he's here and loves it. I do love the original MO for the Captains Bar/Chinnery, I feel like I'm back in Colonial HK.

Having not stayed at the Upper House I should really try it, I'm hoping they'll add a spa/pool one day!
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
By all accounts Four Seasons Hong Kong is absolutely fantastic - I, unfortunately, just can't get over how business-like the hotel is.
^
We stayed at the Pen in a Grand deluxe harbour view suite. It was recently renovated, nice lay out, and unless many business hotels you do know where you are.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kmills84
I prefer RC, their corner suites are stunning and their ESPA spa/pool is better than the FS. Service is fantastic especially in their club lounge.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Originally Posted by BENLEE
The room with the best view is the Grand Victoria Harbour Room which is a corner room with two walls of glasses overlooking both Kowloon on one end and the Victoria Harbour at the other. Avoid the deluxe suite which has a very bad layout.
good details

4 Grand Victoria Harbour Room (on 106 - 112)
6 Club Grand Victoria Harbour Room (on 113 115 117)

walk up could try - Deluxe Victoria Harbour Suite > Premier Executive Suite (6 on 111 112 116)
but Premier Executive Suite doesnt look that much better than Grand Victoria Harbour Room

and even Carlton Suite's additional windows are interrupted by TV 'wall'
expensive, like Ritz Carlton Suite, which has corner in living/dining too

besides stay, can also book spa, which includes outdoor rooftop section
has anyone done RC spa as non-guest recently? what are policies for using facilities?
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
Upper house wins out. Whilst it may not quite be in the centre it is still far and away the best hotel.

Last edited by martin102; Jul 9, 2016 at 8:07 am Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I was in HKG last week and visited the three properties. If I have given the choice, I would opt for the Ritz Carlton @:-) Excellent in all aspects ^
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
has anyone done RC spa as non-guest recently? what are policies for using facilities?
Last year. Used the pool. It was a spa package including pool access
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:58 pm

[QUOTE=luxury;26739359

I think the RC has declined significantly in terms of service and amenities in the last 18 months. Service levels in the Club, to the quality of their offerings, have declined.

![/QUOTE]

just back from the Ritz, i stayed about 2 years ago as well, could not agree more with above statment. The club lounge food presentations were about half what they were last time.

Booked on amex FHR, we had club access but preferred the ambiance and selection of the main bfast buffet.

still pretty good, just not mind blowing like the first time i stayed there.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:41 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Just posted a review of my recent visit to the Pen...Spoiler alert! I still love it!

Of course, coming from an Asian background I was always told growing up that the Penn is fantastic and should aspire to stay there.

The Rolls Royce transfer was fantastic! Stepping off of an international flight and was met at the gate.
The Phantoms are dated (10 years old now, I believe) but it's well kept and still rides nicely.

The rooms were understated and comfortable. Ritz Carlton are at times too "bling" for me.

http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revie...-far-east-1504

Also on:http://www.besvisor.com/blog/2016/7/...sula-hong-kong

Last edited by BESVISOR; Jul 19, 2016 at 5:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.