Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon - Japan (Hyatt), Bali (Aman, Mandapa, Legian, etc) vs El Nido (Aman, Pang)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon - Japan (Hyatt), Bali (Aman, Mandapa, Legian, etc) vs El Nido (Aman, Pang)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Hello! I am a lurker, but decided to post in search of some help in planning my luxury hotel honeymoon in Asia. This will be my first trip to this part of the world.

Getting married at the end of September. Can either leave for honeymoon around Sept 19th right after wedding weekend, or perhaps 1 month later if weather will truly be better. I would like to share my tentative ideas and get some insight on the plan and hotels.

Budget - $20k. Not strict, but I I'm a girl who loves to save!

A little bit about us - I am 30, fiance is 37. We both love the "finer things", trying new foods/wine/cocktails, cultural immersion and exploration, nature, spa. We equally like going to local mom-and-pop restaurants, discovering street food, etc. Like relaxation, but also stimulation. Fiance loves hiking. Note that we enjoy discovering authentic, local and luxury restaurants, not necessarily staying and eating hotel food, although we would like to hit up some fine dining and a Michelin in Japan.

Flights - If I leave straight from wedding I will be flying out of LAX, returning to YVR. If I leave a month later, it will be from YVR. I will have 150-200k UR points and am still deciding if I should use these toward flights or Hyatt stays.

1. First week - Japan. Cultural exploration part of trip.

- 2-3 nights in Tokyo, 1 night in a Ryokan in Hakone, 3 nights in Kyoto.
- I have 2 free nights from Hyatt card and UR points as noted above. I was thinking of using some of this towards the Hyatt in Tokyo and Kyoto. Thoughts on this plan?
- Ryokan - Gora-Kadan? Hakone Ginyu? Is it worth the spend? Any other options that are highly recommended?
- Kyoto - was thinking Hyatt again based on points. Thoughts?

2. Second week - Relaxation
- We would like to book a pool-lounging, beach trip for the second week. We would fly from Tokyo, and are trying to decide between Bali and Philippines. I will outline our options:

A) El Nido or Boracay

- Our October plans would put us in the tail end of rainy season. Given that this is a beach destination, I am afraid that we are taking a big risk going at this time. We might consider pushing to November if it would make an appreciable difference.

- If El Nido, which we are told has better beaches, we would likely choose between Amanpulo and El Nido Pangulasian. Is Amanpulo really worth the extra spend? If so, why?

- Boracay - Shangri-La. While I hear that El Nido is superior, I worry that we might get bored in El Nido, and hear that Boracay has more going on? I like to explore new restaurants and drink, my husband is a bit more on the antisocial side so I dont think he cares about "stimulation" as much as I. For what it's worth, there are some Philippinos at his job. They all individually said El Nido was nicer and less touristic.

2) Bali

- I understand that the weather will be better in Bali at this time of year. I am having a difficult time deciding between Bali v. Philippines because many say that the beaches do not compare. That being said, Bali may be a more "interesting" experience. If we did Bali, we would split the time between Ubud and either Nusa Dua or Seminyak.

- The pros are that there would be the cultural, spiritual, and "jungle" component versus just the beach like in El Nido. I wonder if I will "miss out" on the breathtaking beach experience, however.

A) Ubud - I am comparing hotel options in Ubud. A lot of you recommend Chedi but I feel like it is not as aesthetically impressive location-wise. Jaw-dropping aesthetics/surroundings are very important. Sounds like the FS Sayan is outdated. What about Ritz Carlton Reserve Mandapa? How might this compare to - say - Kayon, Viceroy, Komeneka? I am looking for the picturesque pool villa in the jungle with fabulous vistas.

B) Nusa Dua vs Seminyak - Nusa Dua sounds like its the best beach in Bali. Considering Amanusa, St Regis. OTHO, The Legian Bali in Seminyak sounds amazing and might be closer to interesting restaurants. We don't really want to be stuck eating hotel food 24/7, and it sounds like some of the Aman and Nusa Dua hotels, while gorgeous, may have mediocre food. How bad is beach at Seminyak? Will the pool villa and hotel experience makeup for it?

Sorry for such a long first post. I am excited, but overwhelmed with options and ideas. I look forward to hearing from anyone who is interested in helping.

P.S. If we were to push HM to November, would it make sense to consider Thai islands too based on better weather?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:05 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can comment some on the Japan Hyatts. Use your free nights either at the Park Hyatt Tokyo, the Andaz Tokyo, or the Hyatt Kyoto. It depends on the rates you can get at each place. There is also a rather good Hyatt in Gora although it's not a ryokan.

Note that the most interesting section of the Hakone ropeway (aka gondola) is currently closed due to volcanic activity. I think that your best plan for the week is to skip Hakone and spend 4 nights in Tokyo and three nights in Kyoto, you will have plenty to do. If you must do a ryokan for a night -- which I think is plenty for a first timer -- you can do it in Kyoto.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Richard -

Thank you so much for your insight, esp. regarding the situation in Hakone. Does anyone know how long it could be closed?

Although I have recently moved to Vancouver, BC, I am from New York City. Given that I am used to a "big city lifestyle", I figured I might want to spend less time in Tokyo and more time exploring something different. You believe more time should be allocated to Tokyo than Kyoto?

Also, any thoughts on Andaz vs. Park Hyatt?

Thanks, so glad to finally see a response :-)

E
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:57 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I did the Kyoto > Hakone > Tokyo Hyatt circuit. Stayed in Park Hyatt in Tokyo. We did four nights Kyoto and ideally would have liked another especially as a full day can be taken outside of Kyoto (Nara). I actually really liked the Hyatt in Kyoto but I'm not sure if it is in a good location - we seemed to have to ride our bikes for a long time before we got to the attractions and areas we wanted to see. Only stayed one night in Hakone which was enough - there is literally nothing to do except look at Mt Fuji during a day trip, sit in the onsen, look at the view from the hotel and get drunk at the hotel during their ridiculously long happy hour. We stayed three nights in Tokyo - wish we had done much more, probably just skip Hakone. Tokyo is such an amazing city and for me, didn't have that big city feel to it - I really loved looking around all the neighbourhoods. We rode our bikes borrowed from the PH everywhere. And the shopping is a dream.

Re Seminyak, the beach really is terrible. I've never swam in the sea at Seminyak during many Bali trips and I think I've only ever walked on the beach there once to get from W to Potato Head. You are right that there is really great dining in the Seminyak area (Sarong, Sardine (my favourite), Merah Putih, Barbacoa, Metis, Mamasan, La Lucciola, Motel Mexicola can be a lot of fun, Pettinget and Sea Circus are both great for breakfast). Pick a hotel with a good pool and/or a pool villa in Seminyak for sure. The W has a nice pool and the pool villas are fine for a few nights - I usually just stay here in Seminyak because it is a bit fun and ticks all the boxes for what I need it to do. Alila has a property now next to Potato Head which I'd like to try.

I don't mind the beaches around Uluwatu - there are some nice beach clubs and the beaches at the bottom of the cliffs make for some nice scenery and great sunsets. You'll have the same problem as Nusa Dua though - not much choice for food other than the place you're staying.

Thailand coastal can still be hit and miss in early November. That said I've been for two weeks to Phuket in September and it rained one afternoon and once all day. I'd start to rule out Bali in November if weather is really important - more chance of rain.

Last edited by SojournsOf; Mar 17, 2016 at 12:10 am
Old Mar 17, 2016, 9:09 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never stayed at the Andaz Tokyo but am regular at the Park Hyatt Tokyo, and I mean regular (they store clothes for me between visits, for example). But the folks on the Hyatt forum really like the Andaz so I would say the decision can be based on availability. There are threads in the Hyatt forum that will help you decide.

Kyoto does have a very different feel from Tokyo, the sidewalks do often get rolled up at night. But it is well worth spending time in. However, even if you grew up in a big city, Tokyo is totally different. You could easily choose to spend the four nights in either and not go wrong.

The most efficient way to see both is to start in one, take the bullet train to the other, and then depart from the other to your next destination. The train ride between the two is about 2 1/4 hours and the bullet train needs to be part of every first Japan trip.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

sydakllon - Thank you for your insight. I was worried that the Ryokan could be a little boring, but my fiance is keen on seeing Mt Fuji, and loves hot tubs/onsen/spas. I also like the idea of having omakase while in the Ryokan. Would we be bored with only one day? Sake would certainly help :-)

I will look into alilla. The W looks fun but may not be the best for a honeymoon? Did you ever make it to Nusa Dua? I will also check out Uluwatu.

I go back and forth but based on convenience and flights the best option may be to push trip to November so we can do Philippines (better weather) instead of Bali. That would leave us with the options of Shang Boracay, El Nido, and Amanpulo. I hear the beaches are much better in this area. Unfortunately, aside from Boracay, it seems like we would be stuck in the hotel eating meidocre food :-/

Richard - Thank you! We are definitely planning on doing the train. As of now it looks like both Andaz and Park Hyatt are available. I'd like to get dates lined up ASAP so I can book before award nights are gone!

Thanks to all.
Elizabeth
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Amanpulo & the Indon Amans do have delicious meals , you can request off menu too
Definitely not mediocre , but not " fancy " ..
Pulo will be lovely then , just pray no typhoons ! We ' ve stayed in October , November , December , January , etc
Amazing beach , sand .. Just about the best
Even a week here isn't sufficient ..

IndonAmans have a range of activities - cultural and / or otherwise . Some exclusive to them . They customize excursions depending on your preference .
As you know , there are 3 Amans there with complimentary transfers between them when to stay at more than one

Congratulations !
Old Mar 17, 2016, 5:23 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
If it's truly a beach you're after, you'll find few in the world better than Amanpulo. Filipinos are fantastic people, too. Email the resort and ask them to send you their activities document. Amans always offer fun and cultural activities, even when they're in remote locations.

The Bali Amans are also spectacular and will offer you more culture. But Pulo would be a lovely setting for a honeymoon.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks FlyerEC - You said Pulo would be lovely. Based on my research it seems like you run a big risk of rain in Oct. What are your thoughts on this? Would it be worthwhile/necessary to push the trip to November? It looks like the avg rainfall drops in half.

Ericka
- Thanks for your insight! I am hoping that I can try to find a way to get the 4th night free at Pulo. Wish me luck ;-)

To those who have private messaged me - They wont let me respond until I post more. I am working on it as we speak!
Old Mar 17, 2016, 8:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Wenckebach
Thanks FlyerEC - You said Pulo would be lovely. Based on my research it seems like you run a big risk of rain in Oct. What are your thoughts on this? Would it be worthwhile/necessary to push the trip to November? It looks like the avg rainfall drops in half.

Ericka
- Thanks for your insight! I am hoping that I can try to find a way to get the 4th night free at Pulo. Wish me luck ;-)

To those who have private messaged me - They wont let me respond until I post more. I am working on it as we speak!
You ' re welcome . Best email them & ask the ( Filipino) staff or those like Rajeev ( F & B ) who have been there longer . Not the new GM .

Be sure to indicate that it's your honeymoon !

November will be nicer - for me anyway - as it should be less humid by then .
But it ' s still typhoon season but with El Niņo who knows these days
If you can , try move it to ( mid ) November
My Amanjunkie FTer friends on this forum got married there last November
( Think they ' ve been a bit silent here these days as various other events have been happening in their already busy lives , we can ' t even figure out our next Aman rendezvous )
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Hi Flyer - do you know where I might locate the contact information for the GM or F&B manager? Thanks!

Elizabeth
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
YBest email them & ask the ( Filipino) staff or those like Rajeev ( F & B ) who have been there longer . Not the new GM .

Be sure to indicate that it's your honeymoon !
Originally Posted by Wenckebach
GM or F&B manager?
outgoing GM is also not leaving amanresorts

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 19, 2016 at 1:15 am
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

How might I contact outgoing? Thanks o

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.