FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Honeymoon - Japan (Hyatt), Bali (Aman, Mandapa, Legian, etc) vs El Nido (Aman, Pang)
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:57 pm
SojournsOf
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I did the Kyoto > Hakone > Tokyo Hyatt circuit. Stayed in Park Hyatt in Tokyo. We did four nights Kyoto and ideally would have liked another especially as a full day can be taken outside of Kyoto (Nara). I actually really liked the Hyatt in Kyoto but I'm not sure if it is in a good location - we seemed to have to ride our bikes for a long time before we got to the attractions and areas we wanted to see. Only stayed one night in Hakone which was enough - there is literally nothing to do except look at Mt Fuji during a day trip, sit in the onsen, look at the view from the hotel and get drunk at the hotel during their ridiculously long happy hour. We stayed three nights in Tokyo - wish we had done much more, probably just skip Hakone. Tokyo is such an amazing city and for me, didn't have that big city feel to it - I really loved looking around all the neighbourhoods. We rode our bikes borrowed from the PH everywhere. And the shopping is a dream.

Re Seminyak, the beach really is terrible. I've never swam in the sea at Seminyak during many Bali trips and I think I've only ever walked on the beach there once to get from W to Potato Head. You are right that there is really great dining in the Seminyak area (Sarong, Sardine (my favourite), Merah Putih, Barbacoa, Metis, Mamasan, La Lucciola, Motel Mexicola can be a lot of fun, Pettinget and Sea Circus are both great for breakfast). Pick a hotel with a good pool and/or a pool villa in Seminyak for sure. The W has a nice pool and the pool villas are fine for a few nights - I usually just stay here in Seminyak because it is a bit fun and ticks all the boxes for what I need it to do. Alila has a property now next to Potato Head which I'd like to try.

I don't mind the beaches around Uluwatu - there are some nice beach clubs and the beaches at the bottom of the cliffs make for some nice scenery and great sunsets. You'll have the same problem as Nusa Dua though - not much choice for food other than the place you're staying.

Thailand coastal can still be hit and miss in early November. That said I've been for two weeks to Phuket in September and it rained one afternoon and once all day. I'd start to rule out Bali in November if weather is really important - more chance of rain.

Last edited by SojournsOf; Mar 17, 2016 at 12:10 am