Schloss Elmau Retreat, Germany

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schloss Elmau Retreat, Germany

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Retreat is the way to go. There were will be some kids, but the hotel has plenty of areas to relax where kids will not be a factor. Love this place!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

adults only guests above 16 years
schloss-elmau.de/en/spa-hotel/badehaus-spa

adults only (above 16?)
schloss-elmau.de/en/spa-hotel/oriental-hamam

retreat guests above 14 years
schloss-elmau.de/en/spa-hotel/shantigiri-spa

47 room retreat - very small / aman scale
+ 115 room hotel = total 162 room , small for hotel

interesting exclusive-use options >
€1600 5.5 hours at night rooftop pool
€1200 5.5 hours at night hamam
€300 3 hours Spa Ferchenbach

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 3, 2018 at 7:34 pm
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by Valveking
We are just finishing up five days here in a Summit Suite in the Retreat with our two children. This hotel is stunning. The setting in a high valley at the base of the Wetterstein mountain is magical. The bedroom of our suite is basically all glass on three sides with a full view of the Alps. We have been sleeping with all of our doors and windows open with the sounds of the Ferchenbach stream acting as our soundtrack.

Elmau is very kid friendly. There are kids everywhere, but plenty of places in the many, many spas and lounges for the adults to get away for some peace and quiet.

The food is very solid in all of the restaurants and brilliant in the Luce D'Oro Michelin starred restaurant.

The American GM Nickolai is fantastic and always around making sure everything is running well. The service is not quite as polished as a top Four Seasons but is friendly and kind and very efficient for the most part.

We have spent our days hiking, lounging and touring Bavaria in a hotel provided BMW. I want to thank the OP for his review as we would never have found this gem without this forum.
Hi. Did you visit the property during summer and is it true they have no air conditioning in the room?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:01 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 1:36 pm
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Originally Posted by BENLEE
Hi. Did you visit the property during summer and is it true they have no air conditioning in the room?

We were there in the summer. The Retreat has some sort of green air conditioning system that kept the rooms nicely cool. Maybe high 60’s or so. Keep in mind that the outside air temp never breaks 75-80 because you are in a high alpine valley. I can’t remember how the main building was cooled. If I were you I would get one of the suites in the Retreat that looks at the Wetterstein. We were in a 2 bedroom Summit Suite. I think the 1 bedroom suites might be called Ferchenbach?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Originally Posted by BENLEE
Any recent stay experience here? For my summer holidays next year, I have booked the Retreat section of the resort which is newer and presumably more private/quiet. But I am not 100% sure... It looks like a large resort catering mostly to families while I am looking for a relaxing resort which is peaceful and quiet. Also I wonder if the rooms will be too hot as I heard they actually have no airconditioning in the room.
Fantastic hotel, easily the best in Germany and Austria. Miles better than Kempinski Berchtesgaden and Interalpen Hotel Tyrol, which are both clearly one star below Schloss Elmau.

Retreat is the place to go, and yes, there are some kids, but there are several spas and pools where kids are not allowed. Food is very good, especially in the Summit Restaurant in the Retreat. And yes, in the Retreat there is an eco air system, but traditional aircon is absolutely not needed up there, since you are in the high alps. And the cultural program has a quality like in no other hotel in the world, and I am not exaggerating at all.
wideman likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:27 am

-- --
offerendum likes this.

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 1:36 pm Reason: deleted personal attack
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I like Elmau, but I'm not sure I would agree that it is 'easily the best hotel in Germany and Austria.'
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Originally Posted by QPRfan

The food was poor, the massages weren't special and the service wasn't great either. i.e. going to rent a bike and after 25 minutes of setting up, the staff then realised that she couldn't connect the trailer for young children to a bike as parts were missing so we couldn't borrow the bikes. The next day when we did borrow the bikes, we couldn't return them as there was no member of staff manning the door through which you need to enter to return them, so we had to simply stand and wait 10 mins until a staff member happened to be walking out in order to return the bikes.

Please state when you stayed at the Interalpen Hotel Tyrol and Kempinski Berchtesgaden
I personally stayed at Elmau 9 times between 2006 and 2018, stayed at Kempinski Berchtesgaden 2015 and at Tyrol in 2016.

So please don't judge a hotel because of one poor children-trailer experience! Check other reviews elsewhere where people regularly praise the elmau food and the hotel. Maybe you do not like the culturally high style, that's no problem, but please don't diss people and hotels for being different compared to yourself.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Nov 5, 2018 at 9:04 am Reason: remove response to now deleted commen
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by Valveking

We were there in the summer. The Retreat has some sort of green air conditioning system that kept the rooms nicely cool. Maybe high 60’s or so. Keep in mind that the outside air temp never breaks 75-80 because you are in a high alpine valley. I can’t remember how the main building was cooled. If I were you I would get one of the suites in the Retreat that looks at the Wetterstein. We were in a 2 bedroom Summit Suite. I think the 1 bedroom suites might be called Ferchenbach?
That’s very helpful. Thank you!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I like Elmau, but I'm not sure I would agree that it is 'easily the best hotel in Germany and Austria.'
A colleague stayed at Elmau recently and while he thought it was nice he wasnīt 100% satisfied. Also thought itīs overpriced for what you get.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Where else would you suggest in Germany when looking for a resort-type hotel? I am not trying to argue with your statement, just genuinely curious.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:33 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 1:35 pm
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kamel123
Where else would you suggest in Germany when looking for a resort-type hotel? I am not trying to argue with your statement, just genuinely curious.
First of all I think the simple ranking is a bit childish and simplistic. There is no such thing as the 'best' hotel in Germany or anywhere else. Much of it is down to personal preferences and style. For example, is the Adlon a better hotel than the Mandarin Oriental? I don't know, it's very hard to compare. I like Elmau a lot, I have been here many times, and it is a lovely Alpine hotel with great food, beautiful rooms, superb service, and so on. Are the rooms better than those at Heiligendamm? Probably not. The bar at Heiligendamm is also much nicer, and the service is probably a litte more clipped. It depends what you want, and how consistently a hotel can deliver it, that makes the difference for me. Rather than a ranking, I would suggest that there are perhaps three or four categories of hotels that you can put each one into that reflects this.
offerendum likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.