Wiki Posts
Search

Schloss Elmau Retreat, Germany

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Schloss Elmau Retreat, Germany

Setting
Schloss Elmau is located close to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, about 90 minutes from Munich. The setting is very private – in a valley with not much else around it, reachable via a toll road that serves basically Elmau and one other hotel.
Schloss Elmau is an old castle, badly hit by a fire in 2005, but rebuilt, with some additions (e.g., spa building) in a similar style. In Spring 2015, Schloss Elmau Retreat opened (for the G7 summit). Retreat is a separate building, around 100 metres from the main building.
Retreat is marketed as a hotel-within-a-hotel, for guests seeking privacy and quiet. We opted to stay in the Retreat as it is brand new, but in effect did not feel much difference. All facilities are shared, although guests staying in the Schloss are officially not allowed to enter the Retreat spa (doubt that it is policed).
Interior design is contemporary, but using a lot of wood, and a red-gold color scheme. There are ample public areas, such as a well-stocked library, multiple bars and lounges. Questionable design choice: There are large artificial plants in some of the restaurants/lounges – I wonder who had that idea, they really don’t fit in.

Rooms
There is a bewildering array of different room types, but the website gives detailed descriptions and floorplans for each.
We stayed in a Ferchenbach Suite. Overall, we were very happy with the room. It faces south, with a view towards the Wetterstein mountains. Living room and bedroom are separated by a large sliding door. There is a south-facing balcony running the length of the room. Furnishings are of very high quality, with closets made of walnut, B&B Italia couches, and a very comfortable Schramm boxspring bed. Nice wood floor. Air-conditioning is ultra-quiet. Spacious bathroom with Toto Japanese toilet, separate powder room.
My advice on room selection would be:
1) Opt for Wetterstein view (south – facing the mountains). The views north/west/east are OK, but not as “alpine” – more woods/hills. Room types with guaranteed Wetterstein view are e.g., the Ferchenbach suites, all rooms in the Wetterstein wing of the Schloss, and most of the top suites in the Schloss.
2) Some rooms are not that private. I would not book the Giardino ground floor rooms in the Wetterstein wing for example – guests walking between the Schloss and the Retreat will look into your room (although from a distance)
3) Also, I would not book the ground floor rooms in the Schloss (rooms 101 following), as guests walking from the lobby to the main restaurant will walk right by your room
4) If you stay with children, I would recommend to book in the Schloss, as the family spa (with indoor childrens’ pool) is located there, as well as most restaurants. The walk from the retreat is just 100 metres, but obviously can’t be done in bathrobes.

Food
Not counting the spa restaurants, Elmau has basically 4 restaurants (although the website advertises more). In the Schloss, there is the Luce d’Oro gourmet restaurant (1 Michelin star), the Fidelio Italian restaurant, and the La Salle buffet restaurant, where also breakfast is served. There is also a Kaminstüberl, where guests can enjoy fondue in addition to the buffet. In the Retreat, there is the Tutto Mondo/Summit international and Thai restaurant. As half-board is included in the rate, most guests dine on property. Each restaurant has a daily changing set dinner (housekeeping leaves a menu a turndown). When ordering à la carte, a 50 EUR credit per person is given. Not all restaurants are open at all times, and it is advisable to reserve early.

La Salle
We don’t like buffets at all, but this one was really well executed. Appetizers are already plated (see pictures). For the main courses, guests collect their plates at a live cooking station. This means main courses are individually plated, and there is some culinary logic (i.e., it feels more like ordering a dish à la carte, where the cook has thought about what meat to combine with what sauce and vegetables, as opposed to just piling stuff on a plate from a buffet). Not a gourmet experience, but very solid, with high quality ingredients.
Also, there are two fixed seatings (18:00 and 20:15). This felt off-putting initially, but is actually clever. Parents with small children will attend the first seating, and everyone else can eat quietly later.

Fidelio
This is an Italian restaurant, but with a modern twist, 15 pts Gault Millau. We liked our food, and there is also a very extensive Italian wine selection.

Tutto Mondo/Summit
We ate there once, a Thai set menu. It felt slightly bizarre to order Thai in the Bavarian mountains, but the food was good. Rumour is the chefs were from the former MO Chiang Mai. Not especially memorable, but solid.

Breakfast
Again not memorable, but very solid. High quality cheese and cold cuts, nice à la carte egg dishes (pancakes, waffles), good selection of fresh fruit juices. Selection is a bit limited.

Activities
Spa
Schloss Elmau is branded as “Cultural Hideaway and Spa”. There is 1) a large spa in the Schloss (“Badehaus” meaning bathhouse), 2) a family spa in the Schloss, 3) a spa in the Retreat (“Shantigiri”), 4) an outdoor spa (“Nature Spa”) in summer. There is an ample selection of outdoor pools, indoor pools, saunas, steam baths… We are not big spa-goers, but enjoyed the outdoor pools (heated to 32 degrees even in winter). My wife was also very happy with her treatments.

Cultural events
Frequent concerts, recitals etc. are included in the rate. There is also a very nice bookstore on site.

Excursions
The surrounding area is very-well suited for hiking. The Zugspitze (Germany’s highest mountain, accessible by cable car) is close. Also, a good number of castles (Linderhof, Neuschwanstein, …) is within an easy drive, as well as a number of small but nice museums (such as Murnau). Schloss Elmau also organizes ski excursions and ski lessons, but be aware that you will be a bit further away from the slopes.

Children
Schloss Elmau prides itself on being both child-friendly, as well as suited for couples. I think this is well done. There is a nice childrens’ club, and a daily menu of childrens’ activities for different age groups. Although I may be biased since we traveled with our 3-year old, I didn‘t feel the hotel was overrun with children, despite 60 children staying (room count: ~170).

Service
Excellent throughout. Don’t expect Asian-type obsequious service, but utmost efficiency. Everything worked absolutely seamlessly, from check-in to check-out. Even in supposedly luxury hotels, this is actually rare. For example, there was never a wait for anything – the valet would unpack the car and bring up the luggage immediately. Whenever we wanted to leave for an excursion, we would call down, and our car would already be waiting for us in front of the hotel.
On top of that, every staff member we encountered was friendly, helpful, and seemed to be happy to be there.
Room for improvement – not a lot. There was not a real welcome amenity (unless you count 3 apples?). The minibar was complimentary, but felt sparse (two waters, one apple juice, one orange juice, one coke), although they would stock it with what we requested.

Overall
Would definitely return. Very nice setting, lots to do in the surrounding area, spacious rooms, good service.

Schloss to the left, new Retreat to the right

The Retreat building

Outdoor pools

Outdoor pool at night

Lounge

Buffet at La Salle restaurant

Ferchenbach suite living room

Ferchenbach suite living room and view to bedroom

Sliding door

Ferchenbach suite bedroom

Ferchenbach suite terrace
Old Jan 8, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Thank you so much for posting! I have wanted to visit this property for some time and it just hasn't worked out. I will make sure it works for my next visit though!
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thanks, it´s on my list for a while. Last time I was in the Allgäu it was fully booked
Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:03 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Thanks, was interesting to read! Have yet to explore this part of Europe.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 3:48 am

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Schloss Elmau is brillant indeed.

It has really the most high quality activities of a resort worldwide:

Besides skiing in 3 different skiing regions nearby, mountainbiking, trekking, loads of children activities and a huge array of half-day and full-day trips,

it offers a very high quality cultural program with concerts two to four times a week.

And these concerts (mostly Classic and Jazz) are not from some local mountain-musicians, but worldwide stars like:

Gregory Porter, Thomas Quasthof, Brad Mehldau, Yehudi Menuhin or Nils Landgren

They have also readings and discussions with writers like:

TC Boyle, Hans Magnus Enzensberger or Julian Barnes

Free for hotel guests and not accessable for non-guests.

That is really amazing quality. And you know what: These stars get no fee, they get a free stay instead...
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It's a fantastic place, we've stayed here often as a family (great skiing for children nearby as well). Lovely staff, great rooms and furnishings, delicious food in the Tschüssfreie Zone!
Old Jan 10, 2016, 8:21 am

Looks really nice. Thanks for sharing.

Will add it to the list of potential hotels for this summers trip to the Alps.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Went to school in the nearby town of Murnau. I absolutely love this area of Bavaria. Hotel looks wonderful. Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2016, 11:06 am

OK. I am officially inspired to take our family there this summer. What type of room or rooms would you recommend for 2 adults and two kids aged 13 and 8? Is it Virtuoso? And lastly would you recommend renting a car or does the resort provide good transportation options in the area for excursions to nearby castles and towns. I am sure my kids would want to go to Neuschwanstein for instance.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Valveking
OK. I am officially inspired to take our family there this summer. What type of room or rooms would you recommend for 2 adults and two kids aged 13 and 8? Is it Virtuoso? And lastly would you recommend renting a car or does the resort provide good transportation options in the area for excursions to nearby castles and towns. I am sure my kids would want to go to Neuschwanstein for instance.
Glad I did.

I would suggest to make a dummy booking for a date far out on their website, after entering the dates you will be able to see floorplans for all available rooms. If you want to be in the Retreat, I would suggest the family suite (separate kids' bedroom with 2 beds), but you will not have the Wetterstein view. Alternatively the suite I stayed in (Ferchenbach suite), or one of the suites on the top floor of the Schloss.

Schloss Elmau is Virtuoso, with the typical amenities. Cannot comment on likelihood of upgrades.

Regarding excursions, I would recommend renting a car. I am sure the hotel would also organize, but having your own car is probably easier.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by kamel123
Glad I did.

I would suggest to make a dummy booking for a date far out on their website, after entering the dates you will be able to see floorplans for all available rooms. If you want to be in the Retreat, I would suggest the family suite (separate kids' bedroom with 2 beds), but you will not have the Wetterstein view. Alternatively the suite I stayed in (Ferchenbach suite), or one of the suites on the top floor of the Schloss.

Schloss Elmau is Virtuoso, with the typical amenities. Cannot comment on likelihood of upgrades.

Regarding excursions, I would recommend renting a car. I am sure the hotel would also organize, but having your own car is probably easier.
Thanks so much. When you say half board, does that mean breakfast and dinner less alcohol?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Valveking
I was going to suggest rooms for you but got sidetracked. We had the family suite once but it was a little too small for four children (even with the extra bed) so we ended up having three rooms the next year (I believe two were adjoining). You obviously don't have that problem.

You will need a car. The hotel is at the end of a long private road, and there is pretty much nothing else on that road. From the end of the access road, it's another few kilometres to GP in one direction, and Austria in the other. Walking from Schloss Elmau is pretty much only (very beautiful) nature.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 2:08 pm

We are just finishing up five days here in a Summit Suite in the Retreat with our two children. This hotel is stunning. The setting in a high valley at the base of the Wetterstein mountain is magical. The bedroom of our suite is basically all glass on three sides with a full view of the Alps. We have been sleeping with all of our doors and windows open with the sounds of the Ferchenbach stream acting as our soundtrack.

Elmau is very kid friendly. There are kids everywhere, but plenty of places in the many, many spas and lounges for the adults to get away for some peace and quiet.

The food is very solid in all of the restaurants and brilliant in the Luce D'Oro Michelin starred restaurant.

The American GM Nickolai is fantastic and always around making sure everything is running well. The service is not quite as polished as a top Four Seasons but is friendly and kind and very efficient for the most part.

We have spent our days hiking, lounging and touring Bavaria in a hotel provided BMW. I want to thank the OP for his review as we would never have found this gem without this forum.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Thank you. Glad that you enjoyed it!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Any recent stay experience here? For my summer holidays next year, I have booked the Retreat section of the resort which is newer and presumably more private/quiet. But I am not 100% sure... It looks like a large resort catering mostly to families while I am looking for a relaxing resort which is peaceful and quiet. Also I wonder if the rooms will be too hot as I heard they actually have no airconditioning in the room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.