Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris: MO vs Four Seasons

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Paris: MO vs Four Seasons

I will be traveling to Paris this fall and am having an tough time deciding between these two properties. Rates at FS at roughly 200E higher per night. Can anyone who has stayed at both provide some input?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
4S hands down.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

anyone else have any input? would really appreciate the help
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:08 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I will move this thread to the Luxury Hotels forum for additional input. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
France forum moderator
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:31 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
I'm a big fan of both hotel groups in general and in some cities (Singapore comes to mind) MO has an edge over FS in my opinion, but in Paris the FS is miles ahead of the MO. I'd even go as far as to say that both hotels aren't in the same category. The Paris FS is an iconic hotel, a flagship of the group so to speak. The MO on the other hand is pretty underwhelming. From the outside it looks like an office building and from the inside it is nice enough but nothing special. The 200 euro price difference between the two is more than justified. If you want to save a bit of money, choose the MO. If you want to splurge and have a unique hotel experience, go for the FS.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yes the FS certainly has the better reputation and this MO isn't quite the same as MO's in HKG or BKK. But it's still a fine hotel. You might want to look at both hotels on a map and decide based on location if you will be out and about in Paris rather than spending time in the room.

Also, at either hotel you should really book above entry level. I don't think you will get the full iconic FS experience in an entry level room.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 3:18 am
Suspended

I wouldn't touch the Mandarin Oriental right now. It's not a BAD hotel...and it IS luxury...but the Four Seasons is just so much better (as are a handful of other non-Mandarin Oriental hotels in the city).

I think the Mandarin Oriental CDG is having quite a bit of trouble right now....wouldn't be surprised if there are some 'major' developmental details coming forth in the next few months.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire
I wouldn't touch the Mandarin Oriental right now. It's not a BAD hotel...and it IS luxury...but the Four Seasons is just so much better (as are a handful of other non-Mandarin Oriental hotels in the city).

I think the Mandarin Oriental CDG is having quite a bit of trouble right now....wouldn't be surprised if there are some 'major' developmental details coming forth in the next few months.
What troubles? Do share , please.
Was there a few years ago and had bad vibes , then .
Old Oct 30, 2015, 8:44 am

I prefer MO location to FS in Paris
Old Oct 30, 2015, 8:49 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
The style of the two hotels could not be more different.

Mandarin Oriental Paris is a very contemporary hotel. Convenient location just off the Place Vendome, it's well located if you want to be in the center of the city with an easy walk to the Musee d'Orsay, Louvre, Notre Dame, etc.

The Four Seasons George V is a traditional hotel in the classic style thought by some to be the best hotel in the world. Located in the Golden Triangle area, an easy walk to the Eiffel Tower and Champs Elysees.

Depends on what you like ... and why you're in Paris!
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pricesquire

Do you mind elaborating on this?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:47 am

MO Paris started off quite well, but the decor by Sybille de Margerie started showing its age very, very quickly and even the suites are now looking scuffed and tired. Also, I felt that food had deteriorated and, generally, the hotel felt passed its sell-by date.

There is talk of them re-doing the Lobby, as its configuration does not work very well.

The only really good thing about MO Paris is the Bar, which is excellent, and the garden courtyard which is great in the summer. Otherwise, FS George V walks all over it, in every respect.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:02 am
Original Poster

For my stay the total difference between the two comes out to 2.2k euros..pretty substantial so unless the FS is that spectacular. Although this is my first visit to Paris so the location is important as well
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by j123456
For my stay the total difference between the two comes out to 2.2k euros..pretty substantial so unless the FS is that spectacular. Although this is my first visit to Paris so the location is important as well
If it is really important to you to have a spectacular hotel experience, then book a suite at the FS. Again, an entry level room won't be that great. However if you just want to visit Paris and have a decent luxury hotel experience then the MO is fine. That said, there are several other luxury hotels in Paris that would do as well or better. If high end shopping is your thing, then the MO has the best location. Otherwise any of the luxury hotels in Paris are fine for walking around and seeing the sights.

And if you can only afford an entry level room at these hotels I would suggest moving downmarket and booking a suite at a lesser hotel for the same money. I personally love the Intercontinental Le Grand for its Club and location (next to the Opera Garnier). It's not as great a hotel as the FS or MO, but it is still a really good hotel and the Club service is excellent.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
If it is really important to you to have a spectacular hotel experience, then book a suite at the FS. Again, an entry level room won't be that great. However if you just want to visit Paris and have a decent luxury hotel experience then the MO is fine. That said, there are several other luxury hotels in Paris that would do as well or better. If high end shopping is your thing, then the MO has the best location. Otherwise any of the luxury hotels in Paris are fine for walking around and seeing the sights.

And if you can only afford an entry level room at these hotels I would suggest moving downmarket and booking a suite at a lesser hotel for the same money. I personally love the Intercontinental Le Grand for its Club and location (next to the Opera Garnier). It's not as great a hotel as the FS or MO, but it is still a really good hotel and the Club service is excellent.
What other equivalent hotels can you recommend? Meurice and Bristol don't really appeal to me they both seem a little too old fashioned

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.