Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury hotels have trouble delivering consistent experience globally: report

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by uggboy
Tripadvisor shouldn't be so easily dismissed.
Don't agree. The percentage of fake reviews is so high that the site is rendered useless. It is as bad or worse than Yelp in this regard. Let's not even discuss the type of individual that posts reviews on a site such as TA after a stay at a 5* property. Moreover, the data shouldn't (can't) be analyzed in the manner that this study attempted. Without getting too technical: correlation does not mean causation.

This thing is so bad it should be career ending for Piers and his minions.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 2:04 pm

Tripadvisor shouldn't be so easily dismissed, it's an important source of information and we use and contribute to this site on a regular basis. ^
+1
Some reviews are useless, but others contain valuable information and I like to see travellers pictures on TA.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 2:24 pm

Tripadvisor shouldn't be so easily dismissed ...
Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Some reviews are useless, but others contain valuable information and I like to see travellers pictures on TA.
I agree with these, and while I do not post on TA, several others on this board certainly do (bhrubin springs to mind).

In the same way I do not unabashedly cheerlead all things Aman, I also will not wholesale discount TA. There are some really, incredibly helpful reviews there ... just a low signal/noise ratio, which entails sifting a bit to find the valuable reports.
Originally Posted by nicolas75
In statistics, the more data you get, the better it is.

In such a project (like any big data analytics), analysis based on millions of data is always more reliable than peremptory comments ...
Yes, but "more data" ≠ "better data" if it one's data-set is fundamentally flawed (or, at the very least, skewed).
Old Sep 27, 2015, 2:38 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Don't agree. The percentage of fake reviews is so high that the site is rendered useless. It is as bad or worse than Yelp in this regard. Let's not even discuss the type of individual that posts reviews on a site such as TA after a stay at a 5* property. Moreover, the data shouldn't (can't) be analyzed in the manner that this study attempted. Without getting too technical: correlation does not mean causation.

Winner of the most pompous statement 2015...
Old Sep 27, 2015, 3:02 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
+1
Indeed, sometimes the photos on TA say more than "1000 written words"...^
Old Sep 27, 2015, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Many a "luxury" hotel group do indeed have trouble delivering a consistent experience globally.

I do find Tripadvisor useful, at least in some ways -- despite its issues, and sometimes because of its issues.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:03 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

It does seem to me that, even if one assumes that TripAdvisor reviews are all correct, the methodology is flawed in that it would discriminate heavily against (or be least accurate about) chains that are mostly located in remote areas; e.g., Aman would only be judged on a small percentage of their total hotels.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Indeed, sometimes the photos on TA say more than "1000 written words"...^
Agreed. When I go to TA, I usually only look at the pictures. I seldom read the reviews.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:10 am

This report is based on the concept of mass market luxury - the sort of guests who have 'once-in-a-lifetime experiences, then go on to write about it on TripAdvisor.

It is completely off target for the world's frequent luxury-hotel guests; many of whom would rarely stay in a Ritz-Carlton over a Four Seasons.

'Lies, damned lies and statistics'?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

they designed this to promote >
- social media enterprises like TA
- their own social media enterprise
- certain hotel companies (why?)

so their attacks are a part of that

maybe part is 'rewarding' companies with social media focus?

this is not journalism, this is a business trying to make money
but even if it were journalism, journalism ethics are long dead
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla

It's usefulness is the same as yelp's: Pictures.

Their ranking is good for weeding out the worst of the worst. Eg: Bottom 20% is probably under par.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
This report is based on the concept of mass market luxury - the sort of guests who have 'once-in-a-lifetime experiences, then go on to write about it on TripAdvisor.

It is completely off target for the world's frequent luxury-hotel guests; many of whom would rarely stay in a Ritz-Carlton over a Four Seasons.

'Lies, damned lies and statistics'?
So true. Nothing against "once in a lifetime" but it´s simply not objective.
Itßs like: "Hey, they had even someone who carried our bags!"
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
1. Not quite sure to understand on what is based your assertion.

2. Why do you think that "once-in-a-lifetime experiences" guests (are they not part of the market) not relevant for sharing their perception of the quality of the service delivered?

3. How do you explain that obviously hotels chain do better than other ones?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
they designed this to promote >
- social media enterprises like TA
- their own social media enterprise
- certain hotel companies (why?)

so their attacks are a part of that

maybe part is 'rewarding' companies with social media focus?

this is not journalism, this is a business trying to make money
but even if it were journalism, journalism ethics are long dead
Not quite sure to understand on what is based your assertion.

Such study (as being myself part of a strategy consulting group) is clearly a job to show what results you can get with big data analytics (and I presume sell consulting job after).

It is based on TA reviews just because it is, by number, the easiest way to make such analytics (may I recall that, for a luxury brand, my consulting group has made a comparison between internal data and TA reviews: it shows no discrepancy). Still, what you have not with TA reviews is how your most loyal customers like or not your brand (the reason why you need both internal and external material).
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nicolas75, youre kidding right? social media management. and did you forget about room counts and occupancy rates? thats not even getting into them picking and choosing what to include and how to include it.

they chose not to take average for each hotel and then average them to get average for brand.

all of their choices, regardless of their explanations, can be open to questioning motives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.