Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Please also see this outstanding thread in which KI-NRT has reviewed a number of luxury ryokan:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2095029&referrerid=14479

And here's a link to the main thread discussing luxury hotels in Tokyo:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1910955&referrerid=14479

Print Wikipost

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by richarddd
Do you think the garden is worth visiting in January, which is not exactly typical garden season?
If it snows maybe some good scenery shots there...
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
If it snows maybe some good scenery shots there...
We're trying to decide on a side trip for a vacation in Japan in January and had thought Kenroku-en in Kanazawa was good all year round. Are you suggesting otherwise?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:46 pm

While doing some more research, I discovered Nest Inn Hakone Hyosekikaku (https://hyosekikaku.jp) ... it seems to be attached to the Nest Inn Hakone (which seems like a mid-range).

Hyosekikaku is brand new (opened late 2016), and each room is a detached Villa (all with baths). They look pretty epic, but there's very little information on the hotel as a whole. Just throwing it out there for others looking for luxury accommodations in Hakone that are not Gora Kadan.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
We're trying to decide on a side trip for a vacation in Japan in January and had thought Kenroku-en in Kanazawa was good all year round. Are you suggesting otherwise?
Some people don't like paying to walk in deep-ish snow or slush? It depends on you.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some interesting less traditional in japan, excluding name brands

anyone heard re following ?

hiramatsu resorts >
kashikojima - 8 rooms (4 main 4 annex)
atami - 13 rooms

ryokan collection has contemporary 4 room atami kaihourou, by kengo kuma

29 room contemporary SLH resort >
Originally Posted by KI-NRT
We've heard great things from friends who've stayed at sankarahotel-spa.com/en ... Yakushima itself is a UNESCO World Heritage Site
5 pool villa contemporary >
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Thinking about a beach place from Tokyo has lead me to consider jusandi.jp
setouchi-aonagi.jp/en - 7 room designed by Tadao Ando as residence
hikarinoyakata.com/eng - can be exclusive-use , designed by James Turrell

a SLH in izu includes 2 pool villas
may not confirm # 312 , above # 313
zagyosoh.com/en/?page_id=2673#2

unique/expensive Deluxe Suite A on train
cruisetrain-sevenstars.com/guest-suite/deluxe-suites/
(can combine with tenkunomori.net - 3 / 5 villas)
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:40 pm

Can anyone who's stayed at Gora Kadan, Beniya Mukayu and Asaba speak to their thoughts on which they feel is better? Specifically around the quality of the room and the food?

I've narrowed it down to these three for a romantic getaway but can't decide. The lower price of Mukayu is leaning me in that direction; but Asaba looks absolutely serene, and seems like it could merit the extra cost. Gora Kadan is a last choice just based on the negative trip advisor reviews.

Last edited by ultraman982; Jun 27, 2017 at 1:45 am
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SOURCE

Cultural experiences at RC Kyoto
The Ritz-Carlton, Kyoto is now offering guests three new Japanese cultural experiences, allowing visitors to Japan’s ancient capital an opportunity to have first-hand experience of the traditions and sights that make Kyoto one of the most culturally-rich cities in the world. Kyoto is a city where artisans practice rare skills, passed down through kin over the course of centuries.

To help guests gain insight into these ancient traditions, The Ritz-Carlton, Kyoto created special activities such as the “Samurai Experience,” in which participants perform a Japanese sword dance called kembu, and “Your Own Zen Garden,” in which participants learn to make their own miniature bonsai plants.

And now, due to popular demand, The Ritz-Carlton, Kyoto is now expanding its range of offerings to three new immersive experiences that are now available: The Kyoto Tandem Bike Ride takes guests on a fun-filled cycling adventure around Kyoto with a friend or loved one. Tandem biking along the riverside and visiting temples is one of the most enjoyable ways to see the real Kyoto.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:53 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Aventine
SOURCE

Cultural experiences at RC Kyoto
We did the Sam. Sword experience during our visit at RC Kyoto...well, my wife and I decided to take matters into our own hands.

We just could not agree on the color of the new wallpaper we want in the bathroom.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:37 pm

Four Seasons Kyoto ?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: mileage plus,advantage
Four Seasons Kyoto

Stayed at Four Seasons Kyoto last October shortly after it opened. Contrary to some other reviews, we found the decor beautiful, the staff very engaging and helpful, and an incredibly amazing pool. Was an easy cab or bus trip from downtown with many sights within walking distance. Certainly ranked with Aman Tokyo.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by alwin
Stayed at Four Seasons Kyoto last October shortly after it opened. Contrary to some other reviews, we found the decor beautiful, the staff very engaging and helpful, and an incredibly amazing pool. Was an easy cab or bus trip from downtown with many sights within walking distance. Certainly ranked with Aman Tokyo.
Their GM is certainly one of the better FS people, so I expected things to improve here. I still think R-C has the edge though.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:58 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Their GM is certainly one of the better FS people, so I expected things to improve here. I still think R-C has the edge though.
Thoughts on Suiran vs RC Kyoto?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:49 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thoughts on Suiran vs RC Kyoto?
We didn't stay there, but got a tour of Suiran shortly after it opened. It's an exquisite property and only has 37 total rooms. And it's definitely not a cookie-cutter hotel - the Suiran will really give you a sense of place. It's right along the Katsura River in a very tranquil setting. It's a fine choice, IMO.

I would recommend that you get at least a Deluxe Room, as the entry-level "Moderate" rooms are pretty small. And with your SPG status, here's hoping you get a nice suite upgrade

The one knock on the property (if it matters to you) is its location. The Suiran (and Hoshinoya Kyoto, which is close by) is definitely in a quaint area of Kyoto (at the base of Arashiyama), but it's a ways away from the main tourist centers (such as Gion). RC, FS and Westin Miyako are much more centrally located. That said, Kyoto is a relatively compact city, so as long as you avoid rush hour the Suiran really isn't TOO far from anywhere.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by successful
Four Seasons Kyoto ?
Wife and I stayed at the Four Seasons Kyoto last month and thought it was one of the best designed city hotels we've stayed at (up there with Portrait Firenze in Florence). The grounds of the property were first rate. We thoroughly enjoyed having drinks/eating out on the terrace next to the 800 year old pond. Food & beverage were very good (didn't eat at the Sushi restaurant as we had our fill of sushi in Tokyo). They have a teahouse which they serve champagne at during the evening. Pretty nice experience. The gym and pool facilities were great and they even had nice new balance/asic clothing/shoes for guests to use.

Service was very good but not quite up to the level we experienced at FS Tokyo. That said I highly recommend and can't imagine staying anywhere else in Kyoto.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:49 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by KI-NRT
We didn't stay there, but got a tour of Suiran shortly after it opened. It's an exquisite property and only has 37 total rooms. And it's definitely not a cookie-cutter hotel - the Suiran will really give you a sense of place. It's right along the Katsura River in a very tranquil setting. It's a fine choice, IMO.

I would recommend that you get at least a Deluxe Room, as the entry-level "Moderate" rooms are pretty small. And with your SPG status, here's hoping you get a nice suite upgrade

The one knock on the property (if it matters to you) is its location. The Suiran (and Hoshinoya Kyoto, which is close by) is definitely in a quaint area of Kyoto (at the base of Arashiyama), but it's a ways away from the main tourist centers (such as Gion). RC, FS and Westin Miyako are much more centrally located. That said, Kyoto is a relatively compact city, so as long as you avoid rush hour the Suiran really isn't TOO far from anywhere.
From photos at least, the surrounds of Suiran look absolutely stunning - I'm not entirely sure about the rooms though, which definitely have a 'cookie cutter' feel to them bar one or two: http://www.suirankyoto.com/en/rooms

Then again I suppose short of staying somewhere like Hoshinoya Kyoto or other ryokans/onsens, you'll always have some level of cookie-cutter rooms at Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton etc as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.