FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:49 pm
chinmoylad
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by KI-NRT
We didn't stay there, but got a tour of Suiran shortly after it opened. It's an exquisite property and only has 37 total rooms. And it's definitely not a cookie-cutter hotel - the Suiran will really give you a sense of place. It's right along the Katsura River in a very tranquil setting. It's a fine choice, IMO.

I would recommend that you get at least a Deluxe Room, as the entry-level "Moderate" rooms are pretty small. And with your SPG status, here's hoping you get a nice suite upgrade

The one knock on the property (if it matters to you) is its location. The Suiran (and Hoshinoya Kyoto, which is close by) is definitely in a quaint area of Kyoto (at the base of Arashiyama), but it's a ways away from the main tourist centers (such as Gion). RC, FS and Westin Miyako are much more centrally located. That said, Kyoto is a relatively compact city, so as long as you avoid rush hour the Suiran really isn't TOO far from anywhere.
From photos at least, the surrounds of Suiran look absolutely stunning - I'm not entirely sure about the rooms though, which definitely have a 'cookie cutter' feel to them bar one or two: http://www.suirankyoto.com/en/rooms

Then again I suppose short of staying somewhere like Hoshinoya Kyoto or other ryokans/onsens, you'll always have some level of cookie-cutter rooms at Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton etc as well.