Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for a Luxury Resort in Japan (non-city)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Intercontinental Gold Ambassador | British Airways Silver EC

I'm reaching out the the ever knowledgeable FT community for our next trip to Japan. I am really struggling to find a highly rated, 5-star resort style hotel that is not in a big city. What am I missing?

I don't mind if it's by a river, by the sea, in the mountains or in a forest as long as it's spacious and peaceful. We're looking to swim, have spa treatments, walk around the gardens/on the beach, wine, dine etc.

Japan has some absolutely stunning landscapes yet the number of luxury hotels at these locations are either non-existent or poorly rated. The only exception that I've found so far is the Ritz-Carlton Okinawa. Surely there are more options?

Our budget is around £400-£500 per night. Any recommendations will be very gratefully received.

Thank you

Last edited by mslouisebrain; Feb 1, 2015 at 10:58 am
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ighlight=japan
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-hokkaido.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...e-islands.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...sy-ryokan.html
Old Feb 1, 2015, 3:33 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those are helpful links but there is nothing there that covers places (both western and ryokan) all over the entire country, so I'll leave this thread open in case anyone knows any.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Feb 1, 2015, 5:00 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
We've heard great things from friends who've stayed at Sankara Hotel & Spa Yakushima. It's not only a decent property, but Yakushima itself is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the inspiration behind the setting in the movie Princess Mononoke. It's definitely worth trekking to see the ancient forest there. It's on my bucket list for sure.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
We've heard great things from friends who've stayed at Sankara Hotel & Spa Yakushima. It's not only a decent property, but Yakushima itself is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the inspiration behind the setting in the movie Princess Mononoke. It's definitely worth trekking to see the ancient forest there. It's on my bucket list for sure.
and only 29 rooms, looks like full facilities, opened 2010, part of SLH and ryokan collection. good to hear re your friends' stay(s) and location details, thanks!

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 2, 2015 at 3:40 pm
Old Feb 1, 2015, 8:05 pm

Do you just want resorts? What about ryokans?

For resorts, the ones in Okinawa, as you pointed out, come to mind. Aside from the RC, there is also the Busena.

For Hokkaido, there is the Windsor near Lake Toya.

Some ryokans, such as Gora Kadan near Hakone, does have swimming pool and spa
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
If you like the mountains, I've stayed in some very nice luxury, B&B ski lodges in Nagano prefecture. I wondered how nice it would be to stay in the summertime. The town I like is Nozawa Onsen. I just googled this blog which appears to sum it up well. http://www.aluxurytravelblog.com/201...a-onsen-japan/ and more listings if you google "nozawa onsen luxury"
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Kayotei in Kaga onsen, Ishikawa-ken. Superb everything!
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Gora Kadan in Hakone is a really unique hotel with a very Japanese experience. V popular with the celebs and very Zen!
http://www.gorakadan.com/index_english.html
Old Sep 2, 2022, 8:39 am

Hi, I’m in the process of planning a 3week Japan trip with the family. It’s our first trip ro Japan so I started browsing this forum and found great city and mountain options but would like to include 5 days beach/pool resort.
what’s currently the best beach resort in Japan ?
we are looking for something Amankila, Amanpuri, FS Samui, Amanoi like, so not too large and nice sea views but can’t find anything. It doesn’t really have to be luxury, we also like places like Rayavadee as long as there is nature and nice views. A kind of seperate room/Villa with a pool is really a plus, no high rise
any tips would be greatly appreciated
Old Sep 2, 2022, 9:02 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Koen dc
Hi, I’m in the process of planning a 3week Japan trip with the family. It’s our first trip ro Japan so I started browsing this forum and found great city and mountain options but would like to include 5 days beach/pool resort.
we are looking for something Amankila, Amanpuri, FS Samui, Amanoi like, so not too large and nice sea views but can’t find anything. It doesn’t really have to be luxury, we also like places like Rayavadee as long as there is nature and nice views. A kind of seperate room/Villa with a pool is really a plus, no high rise
I've never really heard of anyone who thinks Japan is a beach resort destination. Many Japanese who want that go to Hawaii or Guam! The only part of Japan that I've heard of with a bit of that type of reputation is Okinawa. I've never been there (and don't plan to go) so can't comment on it. Maybe consider a scenic onsen resort instead, although a week at one onsen may be too long a time for most.
Koen dc and Nagasaki Joe like this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 2:11 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
What RichardInSF said. There are areas in and around Okinawa (including Miyakojima and Amami-Oshima) with crystal clear waters and good (but not amazing) beaches. Resort wise, there is nothing that compares to, say, Amankila or Amanoi - they are all compromised in one or several areas. Smaller, more intimate properties like Jusandi are not full service and are very, very remote. Ditto for Hyakuna Garan and Busena Terrace. Hoshinoya Taketomi is more of a high-end family property rather than an upper-echelon beach luxury resort. We visited several times during the Winter months the past few years (mainly because our choices were limited what with COVID and all), and there are some very nice experiences to be had there - including Ishigaki and Iriomote. But as a luxury beach family vacation spot? Southeast Asia or the South Pacific beckons you....
RichardInSF and Koen dc like this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 7:08 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Koen dc
I concur with RichardInSF about Japan as an unpopular beach resort destination. I don't think there is a single "best beach resort in Japan" that anyone would agree on. Of the beach resorts I have been to, I think there is only one that might meet your criteria, the Ritz-Carlton Okinawa. The hotel has a nice outdoor pool with ocean views as well as an indoor pool within the spa. There is even a hot onsen-like bath (and sauna) in the spa but it is not natural spring water. That said, the hotel is not directly on the beach, you have to take the hotel shuttle bus to the hotel's private beach area with reclining chairs and umbrellas. Okinawa's beaches tend to be more gravely than the white sandy beaches of Hawaii. There are decent ocean views from the hotel. You can read my review of the hotel with photos here:
Ritz-Carlton Okinawa Review
https://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotels/japan/okinawa

Another resort that might fit your criteria is IRAPH SUI on Miyakojima in Okinawa. I haven't stayed there but it has a pool and is right on the beach, but it is rocky and not a sandy beach, but apparently, there is a nice beach about one kilometer away. You can read a few reviews of it here: IRAPH SUI, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Miyakojima, Okinawa, Japan [Master Thread]
https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...nawa/overview/

Four Seasons is currently building a resort in Okinawa that will also have villas with private pools but it will not be completed until 2024.
RichardInSF, obscure2k and Koen dc like this.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Sep 2, 2022 at 10:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.