Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand Luxury Properties

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso
Originally Posted by hedoman
Great pics and comments.....thanks! I'd say you did luxury on your 2015 trip and not so much this year. We were puzzled why BOMC is included in the Lodges of New Zealand marketing group. It's because the owner is well connected to whatever....I cannot remember the story, but it's quite interesting. Motel 6 type furnishings in a beautiful spot. A blemish among truly great properties. An opinion shared by many operators.
I have nights at Annandale and Otahuna coming up next, so I did save the best for last. Yes, in general this trip was not as high end as last years. I am starting to explore regions in depth and a lot of the places I am going are not necessarily they places people stay at on their first trip to the area.

When did you stay at BOMC? I loved it. I was in the room just completed 6 months prior and although it isn't a Virginia Fisher design by any means, I found it perfectly acceptable as a lux lodge room.

I don't want to call it an issue, but one aspect to the luxury rating in New Zealand is there is a HUGE range. There really needs to be a luxury and super luxury category.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
There is one other way to get to the BOMC - hike in from the Queen Charlotte Track (QCT) - 1 - 2 hours off the track - about half way along the QCT (2 days) - well worth the detour if you are doing the QCT - we did this and stayed 3 nights - a prefect break !!! The ferry which transports trekkers luggage will drop your luggage here as well as other lodges along the track. 100% recommended !!!
Old Jun 19, 2022, 2:59 pm

Noticed Eichardt's is bookable as an award through Hyatt's SLH program.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 9:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Explora Trailblazer, Belmond Bellini
Was doing research on some of the remote lodges on the South Island and came across this place called Annandale Villas which is 50 miles away from Christchurch. The Seascape (one of the accommodations they offered) in their website looks absolutely stunning and secluded. Just curious has anyone had recent stay in this place?
Old Apr 11, 2023, 11:32 pm

We were there for 2 nights in 2019 and absolutely loved our stay. I remember being driven across the huge property by the very charming host. The house itself is stunning, so much so that we did not even get around to doing any of the activities. We spent all day on the terrace, taking in those dramatic views of the waves, the clouds and the grass blowing in the wind. Also had quite a bit of fun preparing the DIY dinners which turned out quite well given that we are usually useless in the kitchen. Overall, Seascape was the highlight of our trip, would highly recommend it.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 10:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Explora Trailblazer, Belmond Bellini
Originally Posted by hypnos8
We were there for 2 nights in 2019 and absolutely loved our stay. I remember being driven across the huge property by the very charming host. The house itself is stunning, so much so that we did not even get around to doing any of the activities. We spent all day on the terrace, taking in those dramatic views of the waves, the clouds and the grass blowing in the wind. Also had quite a bit of fun preparing the DIY dinners which turned out quite well given that we are usually useless in the kitchen. Overall, Seascape was the highlight of our trip, would highly recommend it.
Thank you so much for sharing the information, and was the DIY dinner the only option for Seascape or you can also order in-room dining?
Old Apr 12, 2023, 12:19 pm

Seascape (and the other Annandale properties) are scattered across a very large farm. You'll have to park your car at the gate and let yourself be driven to Seascape (I'd estimate about 45min each way). That policy makes sense once you see the property as there are a lot of sheep roaming freely and the gravel roads are quite narrow and winding (with beautiful vistas). For that reason also they did not offer any in-room dining, at least back then - it's simply too remote. The DIY food was lovely though and it really wasn't a lot of effort - basically you just heat up and plate a few things. For us, it really added to that sense of remoteness that we were looking for, but I understand it may not be everyone's cup of tea.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 3:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I’ve noticed on the Luxury Lodges of New Zealand website that there are drastically fewer properties listed than there once were. This was a great resource to gather info on these properties and see suggested itineraries. Anyone familiar with this association and know what may have happened?
Old Apr 12, 2023, 6:30 pm

We stayed at Poronui and StoneFly on our trip to NZ in 2014. Both are primarily fly fishing lodges. Minaret is by helicopter access only I believe. There was lots of logging around Stone Fly lodge so the views can be of clear cut swaths of mountain. Unless you are planning on fishing I am not sure you would be happy at Stone Fly or Poronui.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 4:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Since we'll be travelling with a few large luggage, looking for a hotel that includes complimentary transfer from Auckland CBD hotel to the ferry? And any hotels that pick up from the ferry to the hotel on Waiheke Island?

Last edited by secretflyer; Jul 13, 2023 at 4:43 pm Reason: sorted by date now
Old Jul 15, 2023, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by secretflyer
complimentary transfer
Any decent hotel can organize something like that, certainly there are also private providers. Is a few $100 really a factor at current prices? In any case, I would not make the choice of hotel dependent on this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 12:31 pm

I'm also looking for updates on luxury stays in NZ. We're headed there in January, and trying to work out our itinerary. We were considering Huka Lodge, but I'm honestly having a hard time with the price. It looks...nice, not overwhelming. For US$3,000 a night, I'd expect an Aman or similar. Maybe I'm missing something?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 4:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Buster
I'm also looking for updates on luxury stays in NZ. We're headed there in January, and trying to work out our itinerary. We were considering Huka Lodge, but I'm honestly having a hard time with the price. It looks...nice, not overwhelming. For US$3,000 a night, I'd expect an Aman or similar. Maybe I'm missing something?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Was rather disappointed with our November ‘ 22 return stay at Huka Lodge .. definitely not like AMANs of yore this time .
They were having a difficult time recruiting to add to their team , thank goodness for some familiar faces ( who still perform splendidly like on our previous stay ) .. some suites / cottages were not available for booking then too .

WHAREKAUHAU turned out to be the best ! Our friends stayed a week this year and they loved it too .
it ‘ s a shorter drive from Wellington .

Trying to fit in a return stay soon but unlikely this year as travelling schedule looks rather full , looks like March or April at earliest but was hoping to catch the lambing season ..

Tying in with the Robertson Lodges too , North Island ( NI ) , can ‘ t wait for this trip to materialise !

As their lodges were full for our timing last year , we were thankful to have discovered Hawthorne House in the Hawkes Bay Area . An historical building / former doctor ‘ s home too which was moved & repurposed as a delightful B and B , with a lovely garden with mature trees . Have wonderful hosts who enjoy preparing delicious breakfasts and very accommodating to requests by yours truly

Should try find the time to continue my TRs on “ Aborted 2020 Awesome Advent .. ” thread !

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jul 15, 2023 at 5:38 pm
Old Jul 16, 2023, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Was rather disappointed with our November ‘ 22 return stay at Huka Lodge .. definitely not like AMANs of yore this time .
They were having a difficult time recruiting to add to their team , thank goodness for some familiar faces ( who still perform splendidly like on our previous stay ) .. some suites / cottages were not available for booking then too .

WHAREKAUHAU turned out to be the best ! Our friends stayed a week this year and they loved it too .
it ‘ s a shorter drive from Wellington .

Trying to fit in a return stay soon but unlikely this year as travelling schedule looks rather full , looks like March or April at earliest but was hoping to catch the lambing season ..

Tying in with the Robertson Lodges too , North Island ( NI ) , can ‘ t wait for this trip to materialise !

As their lodges were full for our timing last year , we were thankful to have discovered Hawthorne House in the Hawkes Bay Area . An historical building / former doctor ‘ s home too which was moved & repurposed as a delightful B and B , with a lovely garden with mature trees . Have wonderful hosts who enjoy preparing delicious breakfasts and very accommodating to requests by yours truly

Should try find the time to continue my TRs on “ Aborted 2020 Awesome Advent .. ” thread !
Interesting…Hawthorne House looks great. We were looking at Black Barn Vineyards in the same area - it looks to be luxury self-catering, with the option of having a private chef come in and cook meals for you.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 12:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Anyone have experience with the Queenstown Park Boutique Hotel? I've heard of the comfy beds but not sure about the location. Planning on some adrenaline fueled activities during day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.