Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Madrid hotel takeovers

Madrid hotel takeovers

Old Jun 14, 15, 9:17 am
  #1  
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Berkeley, CA
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Posts: 1,743
Madrid hotel takeovers

From what I've heard ...

Ritz Madrid (currently Belmond) will become part of the Mandarin Oriental hotel group. MO will be doing (much needed) renovation through 2017.

And just heard this morning that Villa Magna is to be managed by Ritz-Carlton.
DavidO is offline  
Old Jun 14, 15, 9:24 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Michigan
Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 195
So would you recommend the le meridian in barca?
Jalen500 is offline  
Old Jun 15, 15, 2:35 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: Miles & More, Executive Club, American Express Membership Rewards
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by DavidO View Post
From what I've heard ...

Ritz Madrid (currently Belmond) will become part of the Mandarin Oriental hotel group. MO will be doing (much needed) renovation through 2017.

And just heard this morning that Villa Magna is to be managed by Ritz-Carlton.
Market rumours or a reliable source re: Ritz taking over Villa Magna?
yorkz80 is offline  
Old Jun 15, 15, 3:05 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,971
Quite a ride from Park Hyatt to LHW to RC. Doesn't sound too enticing.
scented is offline  
Old Jun 15, 15, 9:17 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,520
qatar bought IC
ritz bought by private saudi company and MO
villa magna is managed by owner, and may be for sale

http://www.auraree.com/real-estate-n...a-madrid-sale/
http://www.02b.com/en/notices/2015/0...uros-10433.php

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 15, 15 at 10:58 am
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Old Jun 15, 15, 10:32 am
  #6  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Posts: 1,471
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
qatar bought IC
ritz bought by private saudi company and MO
villa magna is managed by owner, and may be for sale
Who's the owner of the Villa Magna? Any info?

Thanks! ^
uggboy is offline  
Old Jun 17, 15, 12:35 am
  #7  
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Posts: 816
Love the Ritz location. Fingers crossed with MO mgmt will become great again!
Larkin is offline  
Old Aug 16, 15, 8:16 am
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 3,317
FYI, refurb on MO MAD isn't starting till middle/late 2016, hence why it'll take till 2017.
pricesquire is offline  
Old Aug 16, 15, 6:41 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 1,393
Originally Posted by uggboy View Post
Who's the owner of the Villa Magna? Any info?

Thanks! ^
The owner until June 2015 was Portuguese businessman, Pedro Queiroz Pereira. He sold the Villa Magna to Colombian businessman Jaime Gilinski Bacal (Banco Sabadell's largest shareholder).
Mr. Roboto is offline  
Old Oct 14, 16, 1:16 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 1,746
Any updates on the MO Madrid renovations? Looking at either Barcelona or Madrid for a February stay and trying to scope out my options.
callmedtop is offline  
Old Oct 14, 16, 1:47 pm
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 3,317
Originally Posted by callmedtop View Post
Any updates on the MO Madrid renovations? Looking at either Barcelona or Madrid for a February stay and trying to scope out my options.
They've started renovations but it's going MUCH slower than anyone expected...not floor by floor (as most renos occur) but room by room. It's very room specific.

I've been told by Mandarin to only book suites right now until the renovations hit their stride.

Anyways, I've always thought the Westin - which is spitting distance from the new Mandarin Oriental - is a fabulous option.
pricesquire is offline  
Old Oct 14, 16, 1:55 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 1,746
Originally Posted by pricesquire View Post
They've started renovations but it's going MUCH slower than anyone expected...not floor by floor (as most renos occur) but room by room. It's very room specific.

I've been told by Mandarin to only book suites right now until the renovations hit their stride.

Anyways, I've always thought the Westin - which is spitting distance from the new Mandarin Oriental - is a fabulous option.
Thanks for the info. Any ideas on what they're actually doing to the rooms that have been renovated? And does the comment to only book suites right now imply that the suites are already renovated?
callmedtop is offline  
Old Oct 15, 16, 1:32 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Posts: 1,334
Originally Posted by pricesquire View Post
They've started renovations but it's going MUCH slower than anyone expected...not floor by floor (as most renos occur) but room by room. It's very room specific.

I've been told by Mandarin to only book suites right now until the renovations hit their stride.

Anyways, I've always thought the Westin - which is spitting distance from the new Mandarin Oriental - is a fabulous option.
The non-renovated rooms in the MO Madrid are dire and not worth staying in. How MO can even sell the non-suites as being consistent with the brand's standard is beyond me.
grumbler is offline  
Old Oct 15, 16, 2:42 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 36
I have seen the Four Seasons is coming to Madrid next to the Sol square, is it also a takeover? I don't remember the history of this building there, and any news about when bookable? Westin is still my favourite in the town and I always got pretty good upgrades there.
faustthetraveller is offline  
Old Oct 15, 16, 10:04 am
  #15  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 3,317
Originally Posted by callmedtop View Post
Thanks for the info. Any ideas on what they're actually doing to the rooms that have been renovated? And does the comment to only book suites right now imply that the suites are already renovated?
I've asked for clarification from Mandarin - will revert once I get an answer and I'll post the info here.

EDIT: renovations at Mandarin Oriental MAD have NOT started. More info to follow.

Last edited by pricesquire; Oct 15, 16 at 10:16 am
pricesquire is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: