FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Madrid hotel takeovers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1687616-madrid-hotel-takeovers.html)

DavidO Jun 14, 2015 8:17 am

Madrid hotel takeovers

From what I've heard ...

Ritz Madrid (currently Belmond) will become part of the Mandarin Oriental hotel group. MO will be doing (much needed) renovation through 2017.

And just heard this morning that Villa Magna is to be managed by Ritz-Carlton.

Jalen500 Jun 14, 2015 8:24 am

So would you recommend the le meridian in barca?

yorkz80 Jun 15, 2015 1:35 am

Originally Posted by DavidO (Post 24967972)
From what I've heard ...

Ritz Madrid (currently Belmond) will become part of the Mandarin Oriental hotel group. MO will be doing (much needed) renovation through 2017.

And just heard this morning that Villa Magna is to be managed by Ritz-Carlton.

Market rumours or a reliable source re: Ritz taking over Villa Magna?

scented Jun 15, 2015 2:05 am

Quite a ride from Park Hyatt to LHW to RC. Doesn't sound too enticing.

Kagehitokiri Jun 15, 2015 8:17 am

qatar bought IC
ritz bought by private saudi company and MO
villa magna is managed by owner, and may be for sale

http://www.auraree.com/real-estate-n...a-madrid-sale/
http://www.02b.com/en/notices/2015/0...uros-10433.php

uggboy Jun 15, 2015 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 24972481)
qatar bought IC
ritz bought by private saudi company and MO
villa magna is managed by owner, and may be for sale

Who's the owner of the Villa Magna? Any info?

Thanks! ^

Larkin Jun 16, 2015 11:35 pm

Love the Ritz location. Fingers crossed with MO mgmt will become great again!

pricesquire Aug 16, 2015 7:16 am

FYI, refurb on MO MAD isn't starting till middle/late 2016, hence why it'll take till 2017.

Mr. Roboto Aug 16, 2015 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by uggboy (Post 24972884)
Who's the owner of the Villa Magna? Any info?

Thanks! ^

The owner until June 2015 was Portuguese businessman, Pedro Queiroz Pereira. He sold the Villa Magna to Colombian businessman Jaime Gilinski Bacal (Banco Sabadell's largest shareholder).

callmedtop Oct 14, 2016 12:16 pm

Any updates on the MO Madrid renovations? Looking at either Barcelona or Madrid for a February stay and trying to scope out my options.

pricesquire Oct 14, 2016 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop (Post 27346579)
Any updates on the MO Madrid renovations? Looking at either Barcelona or Madrid for a February stay and trying to scope out my options.

They've started renovations but it's going MUCH slower than anyone expected...not floor by floor (as most renos occur) but room by room. It's very room specific.

I've been told by Mandarin to only book suites right now until the renovations hit their stride.

Anyways, I've always thought the Westin - which is spitting distance from the new Mandarin Oriental - is a fabulous option.

callmedtop Oct 14, 2016 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by pricesquire (Post 27346715)
They've started renovations but it's going MUCH slower than anyone expected...not floor by floor (as most renos occur) but room by room. It's very room specific.

I've been told by Mandarin to only book suites right now until the renovations hit their stride.

Anyways, I've always thought the Westin - which is spitting distance from the new Mandarin Oriental - is a fabulous option.

Thanks for the info. Any ideas on what they're actually doing to the rooms that have been renovated? And does the comment to only book suites right now imply that the suites are already renovated?

grumbler Oct 15, 2016 12:32 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire (Post 27346715)

The non-renovated rooms in the MO Madrid are dire and not worth staying in. How MO can even sell the non-suites as being consistent with the brand's standard is beyond me.

faustthetraveller Oct 15, 2016 1:42 am

I have seen the Four Seasons is coming to Madrid next to the Sol square, is it also a takeover? I don't remember the history of this building there, and any news about when bookable? Westin is still my favourite in the town and I always got pretty good upgrades there.

pricesquire Oct 15, 2016 9:04 am

Originally Posted by callmedtop (Post 27346753)
Thanks for the info. Any ideas on what they're actually doing to the rooms that have been renovated? And does the comment to only book suites right now imply that the suites are already renovated?

I've asked for clarification from Mandarin - will revert once I get an answer and I'll post the info here.

EDIT: renovations at Mandarin Oriental MAD have NOT started. More info to follow.