Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Saffire Freycinet v Southern Ocean Lodge (SOL), Australia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:11 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by aa213bb
Thank you, FlyerEC! We will have four nights at Saffire in early November, during the week - so I am hoping capacity will be a bit lower.

I do appreciate the additional information, and would love any further recommendations on specific rooms. Seem like, one on the right is the more desirable location?

As for all of the Aman comparisons, I just know that for some posters, Aman is the "end-all-be-all". Personally, I've had good, great, and not-so-great experiences.

I greatly enjoyed the hard products at both Trisara and Amangiri, so FlyerEC favorably comparing Saffire to those does excite me.
The right side is superior - slightly more elevated and feels more private. If you are booking the top room category, they are all on that side IIRC. But all three room categories are lovely so this is not essential IMO.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by pricesquire
My SOL pics: here.
Great pictorial report! Thanks for sharing.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:08 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Thank you, FlyerEC! We will have four nights at Saffire in early November, during the week - so I am hoping capacity will be a bit lower.

I do appreciate the additional information, and would love any further recommendations on specific rooms. Seem like, one on the right is the more desirable location?

As for all of the Aman comparisons, I just know that for some posters, Aman is the "end-all-be-all". Personally, I've had good, great, and not-so-great experiences.

I greatly enjoyed the hard products at both Trisara and Amangiri, so FlyerEC favorably comparing Saffire to those does excite me.
Yes , suites on the right wing , our wing , seem to be preferred . Think on a little higher ground than other wing . 1 - 7 are " somewhat " away from from the main building view lounge / terrace too . The Hazards look as if they are right in front of ones suite if in one of these . Best email Justin K & team & state preference .

The spa is in the main building , " behind " the left wing .
Best sign up early for the activities you are interested in including spa treatments with guest relations . Saffire will print you a reminder , this was helpful for me just in case I got them & days mixed up . They have a timetable which shows when the various activities are scheduled .

It's a short stroll to the beach .
There maybe more bugs when you stay . Just be alert when outdoors .
Forgot to request insect repellent .

Amans ' service these days vary generally ( Aman to Aman ) unlike before . New website can tell one some .. more commercial corporate to me rather than distinct previously , " more character " & relatively more user friendly with information easily retrieved . More like Saffire website ??

Last edited by FlyerEC; Oct 10, 2015 at 1:58 pm Reason: Add info
Old Oct 11, 2015, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Very pleased to be here at Saffire .
No Aman though , as for one , food is " too polished " compared to Aman ' s more " home style " but nonetheless very very delicious as some have posted , more fine dining & , not laid back Aman . They customized very well even at short notice.
Hardware seems like a cross between Amangani / Sara & Trisara . Location almost like N'oi with more " mature " shrubs , beach too is cross with Pulo .
Flights delayed as was arrival onsite , so while we were met at the airport & recced the decent sized lounge ( more later ) , we were not greeted on arrival & there was no one in the lobby !
Service recovery has been attempted . To be continued , must catch a bit more sleep or will miss the spectacular sunrises
In a nutshell , I will say that for myself , repeat stays will be much anticipated but must remember that this is not an Aman . One tends to forget as Saffire is similar in that the standard of hardware isn ' t compromised & could well be one of the more " modern " Amans .
Amanjunkies reading this will understand & hope this helps those who are deciding to visit Downunder .

However , the software has room for improvement especially considering the rates , it should be close to excellent but it is not . Only 20 suites too . Requests for the suite were usually acknowledged but not followed through by housekeeping ( e.g. removing items when has asked for & which the previous team ? had placed appropriately , not ' stealth ' either ) . Same dining area staff will happily oblige to bring an ice bucket , etc to your suite . Sometimes depending on timing , they will walk you back . Our suite was on the right wing as you approach .

How many days will you be staying ?

The cuisine / food was one of the unexpected highlights & the Saffire team will try to accommodate ones wishes . I tend to be rather wary too but was always pleasantly surprised by what we chose . One can always try to order off menu & they will try oblige .
The dinner menu was different nightly , as was lunch depending on availability of local produce . Lunch had various salads too , placed on the " bar counter " in the " viewing " lounge area .. The main is on request as is dessert
If one wasn't distracted by the interesting activities / excursions , complimentary or otherwise , one can literally sit in the dining areas from breakfast through to dinner while enjoying the view - The Hazards , bay ..
With the unpredictable weather now , fire , heat & wind hazards resulted in the Freycinet National Park closed on Tuesday ( but reopened on Wednesday ) . Guided walks in the park had to suspended but alternative shorter walks were done so activities are swapped about , weather pending . Saffire does have her own guides but some curated activities are outsourced .
Walking to the beach at Saffire is an easy short stroll . Usually have it to oneself from which to watch the birds , some terns diving into the water ..
Be aware though that if is a windy day , the sand does get blown a lot . Good to watch the formations on the beach but don't be tempted to exclaim at the sight as sand will somehow get in ones mouth . I heard that some staff swim in the bay but think it will be rather chilly . Do note that there is no staff in the beach area if you are expecting something like at Puri / N'oi / Kila / Nusa , etc . Not even anything like the beach casitas at Pulo .. No towels , loungers or any seating unless you count driftwood
The Saffire airport lounge is a generous size with quite some art ( as are the sizes of bathrooms with decent showers ) , an excellent foretaste of what to expect at Saffire .
If one is flying in direct from EU , the Americas or even Asia , these bathrooms are certainly a very welcome sight . The snacks , etc on offer are not to turn ones nose up either .
FYI , if one is wondering at the hassle to get to Amano'i , let ' s just say that that is really a walk in the park , pun intended . The connections at the Aussie airports are perhaps worse that connecting , MEL & SYD are really something else , than HAN or SGN . The drive from / to HBA or LST is also longer than from CXR to Amano'i & perhaps not as scenic .
Yes , they are still offering this a few times a week ! You should try return soon too . Not sure if this may be cancelled at times if winds get too strong though so a longer stay - 4 or more days , best email them .
We ' ve been getting spring lamb . As you know , the cuisine is very much dependent on seasonal local and or fresh regional produce .
Saffire has been at close to full capacity these days & even " over " when some guests in their enthusiasm forget to book the correct number of rooms - like 2 suites instead of 3 / 4
Oooh, please tell me more, FlyerEC, as we will be there in a month!

Any and all tips are appreciated, and I'm getting quite excited given my enjoyment of both Amangiri and Trisara.

Too, the cuisine is particularly important, and I'm quite thrilled by the more fine-dining aspect, as my work time on the Gold Coast afterwards will be anything but.
Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Do they still have that oyster tasting trip where they fished it out of the ocean? I really want to go back for that since we missed it on our stay

Thought I ' d better put some of my earlier edited posts together for easier reference .

Staying 4 nights at Saffire is probably about right if you live in Australia or if you intend to return for future stays . If for a once in a lifetime trip , than perhaps best stay a week . This ' ll allow sufficient time to go on all the excursions & appreciate relaxing in Saffire . Hmm , not forgetting the food , wine / beverages & art on site !
Then add some days / weeks for exploring the rest of Tassie ( or fly to MEL / SYD on the whim if being in the boondocks gets to one ; or one can sail across ) .

For some of us with family in just about all continents , & we aren't referring to relatives many times removed or friends here , visiting or staying in remote places is perhaps somewhat usual . Yes , we do have some even in Tasmania besides the mainland .
Scheduling trips to luxury hotels can get " tricky " .

Newer and or younger FTers may not appreciate the history or of how luxury hotels has evolved this part of the world through the years .
Those were the days when there was none in Australia , let alone Tassie ( Burnham Beeches , VIC , as with Milton Park in NSW - long given up .. But hear maybe really
" resuscitated " ) .

So some of us who do swing by Downunder & NZ , etc , are happy , no thrilled , that Saffire & other lodges have come about along with quite a number of others in Aotearoa .
The situation was rather dire back in the early 70s & prior , so it was a relief that we could stay with family in some of the " cities / towns " in both Australia & Aotearoa . We weren ' t that fortunate for the islands .

It was probably just as well that earlier attempts to stay at Saffire were thwarted . It has given them time to iron out most of the teething issues & develop an offering to guests with environmental consciousness . Saffire ' s luxury boutique status along with the remote location poses unique challenges .

Rather annoyed with myself too as I missed seeing the Aurora australis on Wednesday night , especially since I was rather wide awake . Perhaps we weren ' t far south enough or I was just looking too much to the east / east south east instead of south . At Saffire , there ' s a ridge with bush / trees which tend to block the view towards the south .
Do look out at the night sky as the weather patterns have changed & you might just catch a spectacular performance . If not , there ' ll be the stars . There are binoculars in the lounges .

Now to fit in SOL , The Treasury .. & also Wharekauhau Country Estate , Huka Lodge , Otahuna Lodge , & at my favourite town try Eichardt's ? .. in 2016 / 17 .. & figure out how to not to lessen length of stays at these while working around family time ?? Possibly do another tip to tip SI/ NI but in decent lodges this time , what a relief it will be compared to about 30 years ago ..
Oops , apologies for the digression .

The above ramble maybe another example for not posting while jet lagging .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Oct 11, 2015 at 3:28 pm Reason: Add info , typos
Old Oct 11, 2015, 4:47 pm

Lol, thanks for sharing, FlyerEC. I'm in Australia every year for work, so this is just part and parcel of a larger work/holiday trip we take yearly. 4 Nights seems ideal, for some R&R.

Thanks again for all of your posts!
Old Oct 15, 2015, 5:28 pm

You ' re very welcome

Leave more pleasant surprises for you to discover

Still jet lagging in HK , Upper House
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:49 am

At Saffire now ...

^^^
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:50 am

At Saffire now ...

^^^
Lucky you, enjoy! Isn't it time for pre-dinner canapés?
Old Nov 2, 2015, 2:18 am

Overjoyed for you , from what I can gather from Justin K , having great weather , better than ours .
Thinking how I can get back sooner than later but unlikely this year .
Will liaise with him .

Do enjoy all the excursions , we missed many . Next stay
Hazards included with hazards then ..

Food , yumm..
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Lucky you, enjoy! Isn't it time for pre-dinner canapés?
Ha ha, yes, I sent that I was we were sitting in the lounge enjoying a cocktail (or two, or three).

Overjoyed for you , from what I can gather from Justin K , having great weather , better than ours .
We've had some low lying clouds, and a bit of rain, but that just makes the scenery more "moody" and atmospheric, I think. I get plenty of sunshine in Los Angeles, so it's perfectly nice for us.

Do enjoy all the excursions , we missed many . Next stay
Yes; we greatly enjoyed the Oyster Farm this morning (skipped breakfast). Were told it was the calmest water our guide had ever seen there, and indeed, it was magic. Seconds old oysters: fresh bubbles: the Hazards? Yes, please!

This is absolutely a fantastic property - simply, stunning. Fairly close to a 100, I would say.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:08 am

We had to miss our return visit last year , and could not schedule one this year .
Perhaps next southern winter , spring ..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.