Saffire Freycinet v Southern Ocean Lodge (SOL), Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Saffire Freycinet v Southern Ocean Lodge (SOL), Australia

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:19 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by pricesquire
When are you going?

My lineup:

Southern Ocean Lodge
Intercontinental SYD
Langham SYD
One&Only Hayman
October

Trying to decide if via LST or HBA or both
Then MEL , friends ' Hyatt .

After Puri & ? in September
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Just went thru the whole Saffire vs. SOL, and Saffire being full pushed me into a corner...
Another option is Pumphouse Point in Tassie which seems to beat both SOL and Saffire on food quality these days; have yet to stay there but it has a stunning location. http://www.pumphousepoint.com.au/
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:24 am
Suspended

Currently at SOL. Very impressed. Some of the best F&B I've ever had at an 'all inclusive' styled hotel, luxury or otherwise. The curated tours are very well done - great guides, food & bev brought for the road. You get very up close and personal with nature.

The rooms are VERY modern/low key. But here it's "all about nature"..

Would say this is a 3 night destination. Kangaroo island is magnificent.

Will post pics.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:58 am

Very pleased to be here at Saffire .
No Aman though , as for one , food is " too polished " compared to Aman ' s more " home style " but nonetheless very very delicious as some have posted , more fine dining & , not laid back Aman . They customized very well even at short notice.
Hardware seems like a cross between Amangani / Sara & Trisara . Location almost like N'oi with more " mature " shrubs , beach too is cross with Pulo .
Flights delayed as was arrival onsite , so while we were met at the airport & recced the decent sized lounge ( more later ) , we were not greeted on arrival & there was no one in the lobby !
Service recovery has been attempted . To be continued , must catch a bit more sleep or will miss the spectacular sunrises

Last edited by FlyerEC; Oct 6, 2015 at 6:28 pm Reason: iPad typos at 3 am
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:32 pm

Oooh, please tell me more, FlyerEC, as we will be there in a month!

Any and all tips are appreciated, and I'm getting quite excited given my enjoyment of both Amangiri and Trisara.

Too, the cuisine is particularly important, and I'm quite thrilled by the more fine-dining aspect, as my work time on the Gold Coast afterwards will be anything but.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Oooh, please tell me more, FlyerEC, as we will be there in a month!

Any and all tips are appreciated, and I'm getting quite excited given my enjoyment of both Amangiri and Trisara.

Too, the cuisine is particularly important, and I'm quite thrilled by the more fine-dining aspect, as my work time on the Gold Coast afterwards will be anything but.
In a nutshell , I will say that for myself , repeat stays will be much anticipated but must remember that this is not an Aman . One tends to forget as Saffire is similar in that the standard of hardware isn ' t compromised & could well be one of the more " modern " Amans .
Amanjunkies reading this will understand & hope this helps those who are deciding to visit Downunder .

However , the software has room for improvement especially considering the rates , it should be close to excellent but it is not . Only 20 suites too . Requests for the suite were usually acknowledged but not followed through by housekeeping ( e.g. removing items when has asked for & which the previous team ? had placed appropriately , not ' stealth ' either ) . Same dining area staff will happily oblige to bring an ice bucket , etc to your suite . Sometimes depending on timing , they will walk you back . Our suite was on the right wing as you approach .

How many days will you be staying ?

The cuisine / food was one of the unexpected highlights & the Saffire team will try to accommodate ones wishes . I tend to be rather wary too but was always pleasantly surprised by what we chose . One can always try to order off menu & they will try oblige .
The dinner menu was different nightly , as was lunch depending on availability of local produce . Lunch had various salads too , placed on the " bar counter " in the " viewing " lounge area .. The main is on request as is dessert
If one wasn't distracted by the interesting activities / excursions , complimentary or otherwise , one can literally sit in the dining areas from breakfast through to dinner while enjoying the view - The Hazards , bay ..
With the unpredictable weather now , fire , heat & wind hazards resulted in the Freycinet National Park closed on Tuesday ( but reopened on Wednesday ) . Guided walks in the park had to suspended but alternative shorter walks were done so activities are swapped about , weather pending . Saffire does have her own guides but some curated activities are outsourced .
Walking to the beach at Saffire is an easy short stroll . Usually have it to oneself from which to watch the birds , some terns diving into the water ..
Be aware though that if is a windy day , the sand does get blown a lot . Good to watch the formations on the beach but don't be tempted to exclaim at the sight as sand will somehow get in ones mouth . I heard that some staff swim in the bay but think it will be rather chilly . Do note that there is no staff in the beach area if you are expecting something like at Puri / N'oi / Kila / Nusa , etc . Not even anything like the beach casitas at Pulo .. No towels , loungers or any seating unless you count driftwood
The Saffire airport lounge is a generous size with quite some art ( as are the sizes of bathrooms with decent showers ) , an excellent foretaste of what to expect at Saffire .
If one is flying in direct from EU , the Americas or even Asia , these bathrooms are certainly a very welcome sight . The snacks , etc on offer are not to turn ones nose up either .
FYI , if one is wondering at the hassle to get to Amano'i , let ' s just say that that is really a walk in the park , pun intended . The connections at the Aussie airports are perhaps worse that connecting , MEL & SYD are really something else , than HAN or SGN . The drive from / to HBA or LST is also longer than from CXR to Amano'i & perhaps not as scenic .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Oct 10, 2015 at 7:28 pm Reason: Add information
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: QF CL
Great report, but why all the detailed comparisons to various Amans?

IIRC the airport lounge occupies space formerly used for immigration facilities, back when Hobart actually had the odd international flight.

Last edited by Baghoarder; Oct 7, 2015 at 2:06 pm
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Baghoarder

IIRC the airport lounge occupies space formerly used for immigration facilities, back when Hobart actually had the odd international flight.
Thanks .
The comparisons are to give the other FTers / posters who likely have been more to and are familiar with Amans rather than SOL or Saffire ( those on this thread include some who were at Amans recently some reference points , pricesquire being one . Still waiting for his SOL photos ) an idea of what to expect .

The area next to the Saffire lounge is hoarded up & was told some upgrades to the airport . Those were the days . Still only one baggage belt !

Last edited by FlyerEC; Oct 8, 2015 at 5:48 am
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
That figures ; had different concierges working on it , calling them directly too with different responses !

Almost tempted to change to SOL if software during stay is likewise , it will be a let down , & especially after Amans ..
Looking forward to your TR .
I heard that Saffire isn't the best when it comes to booking phase, but I did give management a call just to make sure. After three-ish tries I gave up. No worries - will save it for another trip!
Glad we stuck with Saffire .

FYI , Justin K , GM , thanks us for bringing it up & posting . Their booking system problems have been rectified Haven't not tested it but can take his word for it .
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: QF CL
Thanks . The comparisons are to give the other posters ( those on this thread included who were at Amans some reference points , pricesquire too . Still waiting for his SOL photos ) an idea of what to expect .

The area next to the Saffire lounge is hoarded up & was told some upgrades to the airport . Those were the days . Still only one baggage belt !
Sorry, I don't think the comparison has much validity. Each to their own I guess.

Upgrades to that airport are long overdue. The Qantas lounge.....
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:00 am

Do they still have that oyster tasting trip where they fished it out of the ocean? I really want to go back for that since we missed it on our stay
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Do they still have that oyster tasting trip where they fished it out of the ocean? I really want to go back for that since we missed it on our stay
Yes , they are still offering this a few times a week ! You should try return soon too . Not sure if this may be cancelled at times if winds get too strong though so a longer stay - 4 or more days , best email them .
We ' ve been getting spring lamb . As you know , the cuisine is very much dependent on seasonal local and or fresh regional produce .
Saffire has been at close to full capacity these days & even " over " when some guests in their enthusiasm forget to book the correct number of rooms - like 2 suites instead of 3 / 4

Last edited by FlyerEC; Oct 10, 2015 at 7:38 pm Reason: Add info
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:04 am

Yes , they are ! You should try return soon too . Not sure if this may be cancelled at times if winds get too strong though , best email them .
We ' ve been getting spring lamb . As you know , the cuisine is very much dependent on seasonal local and or regional produce .
Saffire has been at close to full capacity these days & even " over " when some guests in their enthusiasm forget to book the correct number of rooms - like 2 suites instead of 3 / 4
Would love to be back one of these days! The trip for me would be back to see MONA, eat a meal at Garagistes in Hobart and stay at Saffire. Sadly, just read that Garagistes has closed!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
Totally agree. I was going to say something the other day and then just lost steam/stopped caring.

NO reason to be talking this much Aman...

My SOL pics: here.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:22 am

Thank you, FlyerEC! We will have four nights at Saffire in early November, during the week - so I am hoping capacity will be a bit lower.

I do appreciate the additional information, and would love any further recommendations on specific rooms. Seem like, one on the right is the more desirable location?

As for all of the Aman comparisons, I just know that for some posters, Aman is the "end-all-be-all". Personally, I've had good, great, and not-so-great experiences.

I greatly enjoyed the hard products at both Trisara and Amangiri, so FlyerEC favorably comparing Saffire to those does excite me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.