Mandarin Oriental Milan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mandarin Oriental Milan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:07 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
The FANClub perks are enhanced from Virtuoso offer and you will have full breakfast... plus your choice of either spa OR F&B.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:48 am

That's fabulous, thanks for letting me know, ABG.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:30 pm

Recent stay in a Deluxe Room at the Mandarin Oriental Milan

I am pleased to report a delightful one-night stay at the Mandarin Oriental Milan.

The porters, doormen and reception staff gave me a very warm welcome. A staff member standing beside the lady handling my check-in proactively struck up a conversation with me - a sign of a great service-oriented culture.

I booked a Deluxe Room at EUR 690. I was not offered a space-available upgrade to a Mandarin Room, the next category (which was a FanClub benefit) as there was no availability. I was offered a Junior Suite for the difference in price between a Mandarin Room and a Junior Suite (EUR 200), but I just didn't think EUR 890 was a reasonable amount of money to spend on a Junior Suite there. However, the whole process was handled very graciously (by both parties!)

The room was finished to a high standard as you can see from the photos. The room was one of 9 rooms/suites on the top (fifth) floor, which afforded great privacy; the other floors had 20+ rooms/suites. The ceiling sloped gently. Windows spanned the entire room including the bathroom. One could see the topmost part of the duomo.

Very interestingly, the mini-bar area was more of a kitchenette, with a small sink and electric hob. Even pots, pans, plates and cutlery were supplied. I wasn't sure if this was a standard feature offered in all rooms.

The bathroom was spacious and enjoyed natural light. It had two sinks, a spacious shower room and a separate room with WC and bidet. However, very disappointingly, there was no bathtub. There was clearly enough space in the bathroom for a bathtub to be included at the expense of the second sink or bidet, but perhaps they just wanted to avoid a shower-over-the-tub combo and all the associated downscale connotations.

There was balcony spanning the width of the room but it was very narrow. One also needed to be a bit of a contortionist to access it as the glass doors were blocked by furniture.

Overall, I wasn't fully pleased with the room as it lacked a bathtub. To be fair, this was partially my fault as I requested a bathroom with natural light and was assigned this room, which was probably not a typical deluxe room. A more typical deluxe room would have come with a bathtub and a sofa (which my room also lacked) though possibly without natural light in the bathroom, balcony and kitchenette. My room was really more akin to a "good" superior room than a deluxe room.

Would you have rejected this room?

Typical layout of a deluxe room: http://www.mandarinoriental.com/mila...n/deluxe-room/

Food and service in Mandarin Bar and Bistrot, the all-day dining restaurant, was excellent. I enjoyed the octopus starter and Milanese veal very much. However, the Oriental breakfast needs to be looked into urgently. The taste was just wrong. Whilst I appreciate MO offering an oriental choice for breakfast, it needs to be done properly. I've probably sent back meals 2-3 times in my life, and this was one of the occasions.

The spa was glorious. I had the pool to myself for two hours on Sunday morning. This was possibly the best part of my stay. Simply fantastic!

Pool: http://www.mandarinoriental.com/milan/luxury-spa/

Service standards were very high. Everyone at the hotel did the remembering me and addressing me by name thing very well. This was especially impressive as I only stayed for one night. Service was warm and refined in the Mandarin Oriental / Four Seasons way and, notably, was consistent across departments.

I booked this stay with the help of Emyr Thomas of Bon Vivant Travel, who arranged for the great FanClub benefits (including EUR 100 property credit) and proactively checked with me a few days before my stay to ask if I had special requests. Bon Vivant Travel: http://bonvivant.co.uk/concierge/about/

Bonus: I popped into Bulgari Hotel for Sunday brunch. There were pockets of excellence from certain staff members, but it was just a different operation compared to a Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental. Service was not nearly as "international polished". It was more down-to-earth Italian, I suppose, which is ultimately a matter of preference. Some staff members definitely meant well and went above and beyond. My table was not ready at the appointed time. A staff member in the lobby lounge who learned that I was waiting for my table was concerned enough to speak to the restaurant manager. The restaurant manager made a good attempt at service recovery by being especially friendly. I had a fantastic table -- probably the best table in the restaurant -- looking into the gardens, so all was forgiven. The hotel attracted a very fashionable clientele (very different from the Mandarin Oriental); obviously, it found its niche in Milan. There was a bit of posing going on. Ultimately, the vibe was not for me, and I felt more comfortable at the Mandarin.

Last edited by simpletastes; Mar 27, 2017 at 3:44 pm
Old May 26, 2018, 8:27 am

Question Mandarin Oriental Milan - any thoughts?

We are planning on staying here later in the year and wondered if anyone here has stayed there? MO is our favourite group by far and so keen to try the Milan property.

Any advice or opinion is most welcome. Thank you
Old May 27, 2018, 12:37 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Big fan of Palazzo Parigi Milano over MO and FS...Unless money is not an issue. Fan of FS and MO but Palazzo Parigi is just fantastic value for Milano and while not perfect, very solid. Hard product is lovely.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 1:13 pm

@bevisor
Thanks - will take a look!
BESVISOR likes this.

Last edited by jmnfg; May 28, 2018 at 1:13 pm Reason: Accuracy
Old May 28, 2018, 6:37 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Moving to the already existing thread on this hotel.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
Old May 28, 2018, 7:49 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Big fan of Palazzo Parigi Milano over MO and FS...Unless money is not an issue. Fan of FS and MO but Palazzo Parigi is just fantastic value for Milano and while not perfect, very solid. Hard product is lovely.
And just a little farther out by the Centrale Station, I absolutely endorse the Excelsior Gallia, especially if you stay in an Excelsior Room or better. It’s a stunning Art Deco-inspired hard product with amazing F&B and continued good service with better and better service appraisals.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 10:02 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Originally Posted by jmnfg
We are planning on staying here later in the year and wondered if anyone here has stayed there? MO is our favourite group by far and so keen to try the Milan property.

Any advice or opinion is most welcome. Thank you
Stayed for eight nights over design week recently and was quite satisfied. Booked a Junior Suite was offered a complimentary upgrade to the next category Junior Terrace Suite - but the weather wasn't nice enough to justify the terrace so stayed with the booked room which had a larger indoor room space compared to the terrace room.

Personal preference but the styling of the hotel is just perfect. The room was very comfortable, modern and refined (for a hotel). Lots of natural light made the room feel a lot larger than it was - however the downside to rooms is it still really felt a bit cramped. Joined some friends who were staying in the (real) terrace suite this was a good size and the terrace was extremely pleasant - however it is of course priced accordingly.

Location obviously very central. During my stay the hotel was obviously very busy - but it still felt very relaxed and comfortable.

I have access to other options so didn't really have much interaction with the hotel concierge but as expected minor requests were handled efficiently. All other staff were genuinely friendly and helpful. I'm a creature of habit but at the bar, restaurants etc the staff would often mention we know you like xyz but can we tempt you with abc. Even though I almost always eat the same things it would have been nice to see a larger variety of items at breakfast. A bit strange as I would still have had the same items but I guess there is some comfort in knowing if I wanted a greater variety the option was there!

Tried all the restaurants which were also very good. The atrium was a nice place for a casual meal or drink. I attended a private function there, so be aware that the hotel is not adverse to limiting it to private events - I would have been slightly annoyed if I wasn't attending the event.

Zero interest in spa type offerings but my partner enjoyed her "Italian Beauty" treatment at the hotel spa. I broke my normal rule of never setting foot in a spa area and begrudging enjoyed a kobido face massage. Maybe in a decade I will try another spa service!

So would recommend the hotel - but be mindful the trade off in size of the rooms compared to some other local options.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:54 am

@chad75 Thanks very much for the information - appreciated.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus
i stayed for 3 nights in April this year and loved the property. Huge bathroom with bathtub and shower, lovely and spacious room. Seta is an amazing amazing restaurant and you should try it if you can. I will be visiting again this July.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Sorry, but the Palazzo Parigi is pure crap. Just finished a one night stay there 2 days ago and decided to cancel the balance stay and switched to the MO. Dull rooms, awful F&B and poor service complete the horror show. It's not luxury IMHO. YMMV.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seemed MacMyDay only a fan of spa, and milan rooms/suites vary perhaps more than typical

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Palazzo Parigi in a Deluxe Suite
who needs staff when I have this pool
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
FS...refurbished Pierre Yves Rochon designed suites
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Fornasetti Suite at MO, which is their 2nd best suite, and even that did not impress
FS is, as you say, the need to have a higher suite
Originally Posted by kamel123
FS...renovation/update would be in order
executive suite at Palazzo Parigi...basically one large room
MO...floorplans on the website. Bedrooms appear small even in the top suites
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
[MO] accommodation - much too small. This is because the hotel was originally designed in 2007 for the business market. The 9-year gap between design and opening saw a huge sea change in the type of guests coming to Milan. Suddenly, it was the leisure market! The suites are either too small, awkwardly designed or on the wrong side of the building, with no views.
reminds me of MO barcelona but likely common in europe
there the studio suite is spacious vs most suite bedrooms

definitely some very strange floorplans at MO milan
deluxe junior seems like one of most spacious
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 12, 2018 at 6:37 pm
Old Jun 12, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I am right now at the MO Milan and booked a deluxe room and the hotel graciously upgraded me to JR Suite. Honestly, I have stayed here twice and I do not find the room to be small or have awkward layout. Yes there are no view as it face another building but who cares, Milan isn't a city famous for it's views anyway. Service is of course excellent and so is the F&B. I adore the food at SETA by Chef Antonio Guida, so much so that I even booked the Chef's table.
FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:35 am

We have returned from a three-night stay at the MO Milan and it was exceptional.

From arrival to departure, it was a pleasure to be in the hotel. Check in was smooth and we received an incredible upgrade to the one of a kind Terrace Suite. This had a terrace running the whole way down the suite and was perfect with the wonderful weather.

The suite itself had a lounge, the bedroom with a desk, a lovely bathroom and two small rooms for clothes and bags. Every area had doors leading out to the terrace.

I had spoken with the guest relations prior to arrival and sent a stay list requesting certain drinks and magazines if possible. On arrival, it was all done.

The hotel itself was buzzing at night with the fabulous courtyard and the Bistro. Seta was closed due to the August holiday.

We went to the spa every day and on two occasions we were the only people there. The pool was stunning, excellent amenities and an excellent sauna and steam room.

The people working there were all friendly and could not do enough for us. Of special note was Stefano running the bar, Alex in the Bistro and the restaurant manager (we didn't get his name). We ate in the bistro Saturday night and the dishes were rather cold. We did let them know they were delicious and we didn't think it was enough of an issue to send them back.

The next day at the bar, some amazing pasta suddenly appeared to show how good the food could be. This was so tasty we canceled a dinner reservation in another restaurant and ordered more pasta!

It was a superb stay - booked through Amex FHR and we even had a two for three nights offer.

I cannot recommend the hotel enough. A superb hard product, terrific people, plus a lovely location. Do not hesitate to book.
FlyerEC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.