Reload this Page >

Mandarin Oriental Milan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mandarin Oriental Milan

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by bearbrick
Couldn't find the place when I was in milan a few months ago.
Pity ,
Is everything open ? Would be surprised if not since it has taken this long.
It's on via Andegari so just off via Manzoni close to Montenapoleone...

Everything is open wrt restaurants, spa, gym and pool... plenty of staff. I'm not sure all the rooms are done as I pressed the wrong floor button by mistake taking the elevator and things on that floor looked a bit in transition.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bearbrick
Couldn't find the place when I was in milan a few months ago.
Pity ,
A few months ago, I am not quite sure that you could see that much.

Less than 1 month ago, I have seen the - discreet - hotel sign when walking back to the Bulgari hotel.

MO Milano is 1 minute walk from Armani Manzoni main store / hotel.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:55 am

Not all the suites are online yet - The Presidential should open soon and looks good. Rooms/ juniors are a bit on the small side.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Grand opening promo:

- 200 EUR per room & 300 EUR per suite hotel credit

- Complimentary upgrade at the time of booking

- Full buffet breakfast for 2
How do I book this rate?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:53 pm

Mandarin Oriental Milan

Pre-arrival:

Booked hotel way in advance back when rates were barely loaded into system using Fan Club agent. 800€ per night for Mandarin room with upgrade on arrival upon availability including continental breakfast and $100US spa credit. Once hotel actually opened, we changed this to the Grand Opening offer which included a 200€ hotel credit, confirmed upgrade and buffet breakfast.

Emailed concierge with excellent response times about hotel transportation options and restaurant reservations. Emails were answered within several hours.

Transportation options from MXP provided by the hotel were Mercedes E-class 234€ plus 10%VAT or Mercedes S class 357€ plus 10%VAT. We ended up using Blacklane app which was a BMW 5-series pickup for 103€. Flat rate taxi is 90€ for reference.

Arrival:

Hotel is in a prime location just off via Manzoni near via Montenapoleone. It is set in a series of four buildings just off a side street via Andegari. This is where the porte-cochère and the main hotel entrance is. You should remember the address as the taxi drivers aren't necessarily familiar with the location as of yet. It is close to the great shopping streets, the Duomo, Teatro alla Scala and pretty much anywhere you want to be in Milan. There are also two entrances on the other side of the hotel off via Monte di Pieta.

At the front desk, there were literally at least 10 people working (opening week). We were greeted by the friendly Guest Services manager and provided with a welcome fruity drink. We had been upgraded to the Deluxe Suite on the second floor and were walked to our room by a front desk agent after being given an introductory tour of the restaurant outlets which are on the main floor off the lobby.

I really like the cool hallway interiors (design by Citterio). Biased as I also have Citterio by hansgrohe bathroom fixtures in my own house.

Room

Wonderful design with the use of Italian textiles and natural materials. The suite had ample closet space, custom designed furniture and beautiful wood panelled walls. The bathroom had a large freestanding tub, rainfall shower and dual vessel sinks. Amenities were Thai Jasmine & Mint scented by Panpuri. The usual MO amenities were also provided in a drawer under the sink. I liked the Marvel mini toothpastes.

Internet was fast without issue.

Our room overlooked one of the courtyards and was very quiet.

Spa
A smaller spa but quite nice. Products by Espa, Clinica Ivo Pitanguy and Matisse. Treatment rooms were spacious. There is a small pool and 24 hr fitness facility with Wi-Fi enabled machines (so they tell me). I had a facial which was good - not FSGV quality but still relaxing. The esthetician was a bit junior. No steam for facial... Beauty services were not yet available as the mani/pedi area wasn't finished. The change areas require a bit of tweaking for the waiting area is sparse and the furniture in that area needs to be modified. There is a nice relaxation area outside the treatment areas with loungers.

Restaurants

Seta is the main restaurant with outdoor courtyard as well as indoor seating. For breakfast, there is a continental buffet as well as menu service. Continental buffet is small - including bread, pastries, yogurt and fruit. However, I wasn't charged any extra for menu items. The buffet is somewhat sparse although fruit nectars from Modena were excellent. I told them they need more bread items but apparently they are in the midst of sourcing this. Waiter service was excellent. Dinner is where the restaurant shines. Antonio Guida is the executive chef who comes from a Michelin 2-starred restaurant. His food is beautifully presented and delicious. Our dinner was one of the best we've had in Italy...including places like la Pergola in Rome.

Mandarin bar is also beautiful and seemed like a happening place to have Italian aperitivo...

One small tip would be if you are in need of snacks or small grocery items, there is a grocery store on via Mercato at via Arco - about a 5 minute walk. (I'll pay over $1000 for a hotel room but I'm not paying $10 for a Coke ! )

Service

While I don't usually stay in hotels during their opening months for obvious reasons, service was surprisingly good. The most important thing was that the ample numbers of staff were all genuinely friendly, welcoming and enthusiastic. Service will no doubt become more polished with age. Little things like housekeeping not closing the curtains during turndown... There is security in the lobby and at first, we were getting a bit of a staredown. There are a lot of curious looky-loos so the staff will have to learn the art of observation without making someone feel observed... It is important to distinguish between hotel guests and curious onlookers.

Concierge was excellent. Mario, the head concierge is gracious and knowledgeable. We had reservations at several prime restaurants without much notice. He also arranged a day trip to Lake Como and Villa d'este for lunch.

Overall:

Highly recommended. The hotel is gorgeous, amazing restaurant to satisfy any foodie and warm professional service which keeps me as a MO fan.

Last edited by xray; Aug 17, 2015 at 4:18 pm
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Thanks for the report.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:29 pm

Thansk for the report

Look forward to seeing the pictures, need to book this week, leaning towards FS but still intrigued
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
xray's photos aren't showing up for me and I'm dying to see more of this hotel. Anyone else having this issue?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:54 pm

xray, thank you for the detailed and wonderful report! The photos are not working though
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:22 am

I still think the rooms/suites are too small at MO Milano - fine for a business hotel, but not for a leisure hotel.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by MumbaiFlyer
xray's photos aren't showing up for me and I'm dying to see more of this hotel. Anyone else having this issue?
Originally Posted by HKTraveler
xray, thank you for the detailed and wonderful report! The photos are not working though
Strange...I can see them...

Here's a link to the album

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hz0rfp3gn...0lOGueNLa?dl=0

Last edited by xray; Aug 20, 2015 at 6:19 pm
Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
Originally Posted by xray
Strange...I can see them...

Here's a link to the album

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hz0rfp3gn...0lOGueNLa?dl=0
It's probably because you can't link to the photos directly. If I try to click on the photos that aren't showing up, it says I need to login to dropbox. The link to the album works just fine though! Thank you.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:34 am

I have an upcoming stay at the Mandarin Oriental Milan, and would appreciate recent impressions and tips on the property.

I have a Virtuoso booking which includes an upgrade upon check-in if available, $100 of F&B credit, and (very unusually) continental (rather than full) breakfast. I booked a Deluxe Room, and may be upgraded to a Mandarin Room.

Does anyone know whether the continental breakfast can be upgraded with F&B credit? What is a good use of F&B credit in this property? Is lunch or dinner at their bar/bistro good? The credit cannot be used at their flagship Seta restaurant.

The spa looks spectacular but treatment prices are higher than comparable hotels in London!

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:55 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by simpletastes
Does anyone know whether the continental breakfast can be upgraded with F&B credit? What is a good use of F&B credit in this property? Is lunch or dinner at their bar/bistro good?
The info I see is that it is a continental buffet breakfast for two daily which is served in the Mandarin Bar & Bistrot. The F&B credit is *only* valid in the same location so you should be able to enhance your breakfast without an issue. You might want to ask if your agent can get you a FANClub booking over Virtuoso
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:59 am

Many thanks for your advice, ABG. I rechecked; the booking was with FanClub benefits (rather than Virtuoso benefits as I mentioned earlier). It is not great that the hotel only included continental breakfast rather than full breakfast. I'll post a review after the visit. Thanks again.

Last edited by simpletastes; Mar 16, 2017 at 11:47 am Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.