Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanresorts Thread 2015 (Started by Amanjunkie)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanresorts Thread 2015 (Started by Amanjunkie)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by cedricgerald
This morning again at breakfast my full ashtray was not changed‎
This is a clear sign of outstanding service: the staff cares so much about you that they're worried about your health and want you to stop smoking...
Old Mar 19, 2015, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

until VIP is back at bali airport could consider domestic arrival from amanjiwo

Originally Posted by JohnRain
This is a clear sign of outstanding service: the staff cares so much about you that they're worried about your health and want you to stop smoking...
jokes aside, zecha is a cigar fan so aman can be smoker friendly

some history http://mice.net.au/article/interview-with-a-gm/ >
Originally Posted by John Parche
until 1979. From there I went to Bowral in the NSW Southern Highlands for seven-and-a-half years operating an upmarket health retreat where my wife Lyn and I met the founder of Aman Resorts, Adrian Zecha through our mutual friend Ted Wright of The Regent Sydney.
In January 1987, Lyn and I joined Adrian as the first Aman employees. We sat in his Hong Kong office and discussed how and where the first Aman Resort would be. Adrian owned a two million acre property in the NT and it was planned to establish a typical Australian outback experience on Elsey Station south of Katherine. Regrettably, problems arose with the local indigenous people about stock routes, burial sites and a reaction to building a luxury resort on the banks of the Roper River. After many months of negotiating and drawing a blank, Adrian walked away and sold the property to the Aboriginal Development Council. Shortly after, Amanpuri in Phuket Thailand opened. It was a great loss for Australian tourism.
While working on The Elsey Station project in The Northern Territory and staying as a long-time resident at the Beaufort Hotel in Darwin, Adrian purchased the hotel after the Malaysian owners went into receivership. My career path suddenly changed and I ended up being GM of the 195-room hotel. Four years later, I transferred to Brisbane to operate The Heritage, then to The Sukhothai in Bangkok, before returning to Australia to rejoin Aman Resorts to establish more properties in Australia and the South Pacific. After visiting sites in the South Pacific, including New Zealand, it was considered all too difficult
https://sg.linkedin.com/pub/chrissie-lincoln/22/5b6/b6a
chrissie lincoln now at swire - does she handle upper house?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 19, 2015 at 2:55 am
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:28 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
until VIP is back at bali airport could consider domestic arrival from amanjiwo

jokes aside, zecha is a cigar fan so aman can be smoker friendly

some history http://mice.net.au/article/interview-with-a-gm/ >

https://sg.linkedin.com/pub/chrissie-lincoln/22/5b6/b6a
chrissie lincoln now at swire - does she handle upper house?
Thanks for posting .

JohnRain too +1
Aman staff are concerned for all guests , Amanjunkies & potentials

Cigars are not cigarettes - to some one smells aromatic & other not so . But nonetheless both terrible second hand bad news & taking up precious air of those around .
Being downwind relaxing on any Aman beach or terrace enjoying the view & fresh air is spoilt .
Certain Amans have instructions for smokers as in national reserves

Yes , Chrissie L handles UH & other Swire properties . Their gain , Amans loss .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Mar 19, 2015 at 4:38 am
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

BBC movie filmed a lot at amanyara >
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yNumhWHcGk&t=01m10s
christopher walken as CIA and bill nighy as MI5

andrew harper private sale (only offering 1 of each certificate?)
Amantaka $445 (instead of $1488) 2 nights Expires: July 31
Amanjena $490 (instead of $1098 mar/apr/may) 4 nights Pavilion Bassin, breakfast, Blackout: Mar 27 - Apr 13; May 1 Expires: June 30

(MO marrakech and BT tamouda bay may be opening soon?)

so far aman rates ive checked continue to match the ratecards i saved

now that amandayan is open, any photos in media or hearing about stays or staff?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 19, 2015 at 9:38 pm
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:04 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

now that amandayan is open, any photos in media or hearing about stays or staff?
Their official photos are out, but that's about it so far. I need to find time to go!
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain
yes they're so very thoughtful,
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

http://www.amanresorts.com/exclusive...&LangType=1033
zoe 50% off 2nd room for children in may, €1K before discount

http://www.amanresorts.com/exclusive...&LangType=1033
interesting information for easter events near amanzoe
(maybe other amans will do such pages for various events)

noticed at sveti stefan, looks like theres only 1 "deluxe seaview cottage with terrace"

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 21, 2015 at 3:44 pm
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: some
Complaining about lizzards? Really? Get a life!
Just stay in the city, will you?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Fliar
Complaining about lizzards? Really? Get a life!
Just stay in the city, will you?
Not correct, only a single one, but a good looking one hahaha

Plus some other service issues, ‎sorry my issues were spread over the last 3 pages so it take time to read.

By the way, have not heard back from GM despite his email saying that he'll come back to me...‎

Really wonder why people like Aman, a place where they don't even know how to carry a bag and send an extra person (in addition the bellboy that you ask) just to check the minibar in front of you.....
Forgot to mention that at check out, resort number 2 ask his colleague in front of me if the PIN credit card was correct.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:48 pm

Not correct, only a single one, but a good looking one hahaha

Plus some other service issues, ‎sorry my issues were spread over the last 3 pages so it take time to read.

By the way, have not heard back from GM despite his email saying that he'll come back to me...‎

Really wonder why people like Aman, a place where they don't even know how to carry a bag and send an extra person (in addition the bellboy that you ask) just to check the minibar in front of you.....
Forgot to mention that at check out, resort number 2 ask his colleague in front of me if the PIN credit card was correct.
Mark S , is still travelling , & likely making checks on your issues thoroughly only on return in April .

Remember, culturallly very different .

The monitor lizard certainly made your trip memorable . Good thing Bali is a large island with many parks / reserves
Just think on Pulo , it is the park , so nowhere to move to unless to it to another island & have them swim back !
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Remember, culturallly very different .
Cross cultural training is needed as they mainly have foreigner guests.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:38 am

Cross cultural training is needed as they mainly have foreigner guests.
Bali has been a tourist destination for years , long before many in this forum were born .
Perhaps you should have stayed during Nyepi to get a gist of what I was trying to convey
Also try understand what other posters have said
Before you venture to Asia again , have stays at FS , MOs , perhaps other Amans or worst Sofitel , in Europe to appreciate ' service '

Last edited by FlyerEC; Mar 23, 2015 at 1:48 am
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Bali has been a tourist destination for years , long before many in this forum were born .
Perhaps you should have stayed during Nyepi to get a gist of what I was trying to convey
Also try understand what other posters have said
Before you venture to Asia again , have stays at FS , MOs , perhaps other Amans or worst Sofitel , in Europe to appreciate ' service '
I don't understand your point :
- especially if they have tourist for long time‎, they should treat them well and should have experienced in dealing with foreigners

Unfortunately my stay at aman ‎didn't match with the level of service described in this forum (more with the budget travel forum...)

BTW, I love Asia hotels (except amanusa)for their service...‎
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:09 am

I would wholeheartedly echo the advice given to you that you shouldn't give up on Aman just yet. I think a stay at Amanpulo would turn around your opinion 180 degrees and completely restore your faith in them.
The whole concept totally relies on the service aspect. If that fails to deliver, many Amans can feel empty and soulless, even disturbing. It's in the nature of the very reduced/minimalist and dramatic architecture, which is the wonderful backdrop to the warm nature of service. If you get that, everything falls in place and you're in a state of bliss. But if things go wrong and service recovery fails, I agree that everything seems very odd and cold.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
A suite is "multi room separated by a wall", one single room should not be called a suite, just my 5 cents.
Absolutely. Otherwise it´s a Junior Suite... If I stay in this "one room suites" I always fight with me to say "it´s no suite, it´s a room" when they show it to me. But I never did so far.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.