Aman Tokyo - Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:08 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Thank you for sharing this!
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: QF CL
Thanks for sharing. I am planning a visit to Tokyo in 2015 and the Aman is high on the list.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:24 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5khours
...Not sure what you mean....
Trying to ask if the concierge had the required local connections already, but Kage answered that above already -- sounds like he does.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 4:22 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Great trip report and probably the first review out there. I won't be in Tokyo until March but might give it a try for a few nights then just out of curiosity (despite my previous cynicism). How many nights did you stay? Did you try to see if they opened with someone who can get great restaurant reservations? Is this hotel Virtuoso? I am assuming not but if so, what are the Virtuoso amenities?
The hotel is in the process of applying to various consortia, including Virtuoso. No specific timeline (as far the hotel is willing to say) yet as to if, or when, Aman Tokyo will be accepted.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 4:56 pm

Great trip report and probably the first review out there. I won't be in Tokyo until March but might give it a try for a few nights then just out of curiosity (despite my previous cynicism). How many nights did you stay? Did you try to see if they opened with someone who can get great restaurant reservations? Is this hotel Virtuoso? I am assuming not but if so, what are the Virtuoso amenities?
The chief concierge is previously from Peninsula hotel. I am a die hard foodie fan( both high and low end) in japan especially tokyo. I had eaten pretty much all the top end restaurant (according to media and internet) in tokyo that can be booked without introduction system for example quintessence, loseir, matsukawa, sukiyabashi jiro...etc. The chief concierge wasn't really able to secure any of the top end restaurant reservation unless you happened to be regular customer of those restaurant, so forget about Saito or KyoAji. MO concierge is much more courteous, organized and get things done. To me, he came off highly snobby with the few emails i had interacted with prior to my arrival.

With regard to the room decor, we stayed in the same suite at the highest floor that 5khours stayed at but with slightly different view ( mount fuji, palace, and tokyo tower instead of sky tree). I wasn't sure if we are upgraded. The room is truly massive probably double the size of the oriental suite we typically stayed at MO. I actually like the decor especially the day bed. There is a dish washer machine in the kitchen for I have no idea who would use it as it wasn't a truly functional kitchen. The design of the room reminds me of the upper house suite in hong kong. I only briefly toured around the lobby last night but it was indeed gorgeous. We hadn't checked out the gym, pool and library yet. Will do so later today.

The location of the hotel is however not so desirable compared to Mandarin Oriental. Yes the hotel is connected to 4 underground subway station ( marunochi line, tozai line ( the closest), chiyoda line and hanzomon line). However, you have to take 3 different elevator to reach your hotel floor which is cumbersome. Not too mention, the subway station is a long walk to get to and the different station is not close by and some as far as 380m apart. MO location again beats Aman at least for us as we use the subway a lot.

We had just spent our first night so far, the service is friendly and attentive but i don't see a huge difference between other tokyo high end hotel such as MO and Shangrila. I also greeted by the GM and all the team at check in but I pretty much get greeted as well in MO.

In summary, I haven't find anything special so far in Aman Tokyo compared to MO except the massive suite size and the impressive lobby.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 7:34 pm

We got to toured around the hotel this morning and we had breakfast as well. The American breakfast was better than their Japanese counter part. They had gohan which was rice freshly cooked in a traditional japanese pot, but took approximately 40 minutes to cook. I liked their butter which came from gunma, fresh juice from wakayanma and eggs from kanagawa. The baked cod ( japanese dish) is slightly overcooked. The presentation of both western and japaneese dish is however beautiful. Their breakfast however is expensive even more so than MO, it would be a great benefit if breakfast was included as a perk if Aman Tokyo becomes part of virtuoso partner in the future.

I agreed with 5khours that their spa, gym and pool facility is probably the best among hotels in tokyo. The pool is the largest pool in tokyo spanning 39m and the view is amazing. i was told the water temperature is regulated. There is lots of arts on display in this hotel, the one I like the most is the wall arts located on the entrance toward the spa. At the moment , there is about 20 room/suites available for booking, so the hotel is really calm and quiet.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 5:11 pm

We had a spa treatment last night. Similar to my experience in Amanoi which in my opinion is only so so. I had better massage at Takefue ( a luxury ryokan in shirokawa, kyushu), which is true traditional shiatsu massage where pretty much all the knot and muscle tension in your body was loosened. The therapist stared off well but seemed to lost steam halfway through as I requested deep pressure tissue massage. My wife therapist is even worse as she isn't strong enough to lift my wife head up during neck massage in a supine position and hence it was more touching than massaging.

Tha Aman journey provided so far in tokyo include
1) Iaido-Mugai-ryu Japanaese sword manoeuvring
2) Soboku( Caligraphy) with Koshun Masunaga
3) Edo Glass Blowing"Furin" wind chime making
4) Tsukiji Fish Market tour with Sushi Chef, Mr Oba ( Previous kyubey chef and own a restaurant "Sushi Kokoro"in kagurazaka
5) Miyasaka Brewery in Kamisawa--Sake Tour
Old Dec 24, 2014, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by silverlim
gohan which was rice freshly cooked in a traditional japanese pot, but took approximately 40 minutes to cook
interesting

Tha Aman journey provided so far in tokyo include
1) Iaido-Mugai-ryu Japanaese sword manoeuvring
2) Soboku( Caligraphy) with Koshun Masunaga
3) Edo Glass Blowing"Furin" wind chime making
4) Tsukiji Fish Market tour with Sushi Chef, Mr Oba ( Previous kyubey chef and own a restaurant "Sushi Kokoro"in kagurazaka
5) Miyasaka Brewery in Kamisawa--Sake Tour
thanks! general price range?

re massage, how does it compare to tokyo hotels and luxury hotels in general?

anyone else heard anything about other culture/hotel offerings at aman tokyo?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 25, 2014 at 7:30 am
Old Dec 24, 2014, 6:47 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

So far it seems that everyone has been met by the GM when checking in. That's great during the initial opening, but given that the hotel has 80 rooms, how likely is this to occur and how accessible will the GM be later on? Also does that mean that this Aman will have to go after regular business guests by offering corporate rates?

Strictly hypothetical questions for now, but given this is the largest Aman by far it may require a different management style.

As to the tours on silverslim's list, I am not into this sort of thing but I do know that generally speaking the luxury hotels of Tokyo will arrange a Tsukiji tour with one of their chefs. What they won't do is likely publicize it, the guest needs to know to ask.

Sake tours are straightforward. So is a tea ceremony experience which strangely is not on that list. Also I would expect (but again not on that list, maybe they don't have contacts yet) that there should be a visit to a sumo stable for morning practice.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

largest Aman by far
amans with residential villas can have many more bedrooms and much higher maximum occupancy. agree that in tokyo the number of check-ins and occupancy rate will be very high, especially in comparison. (although they have stated in recent press coverage that they are looking to increase occupancy rates at all amanresorts, and that has been illustrated by the continued addition of low seasons.)

most rooms >
84 tokyo
58 sveti stefan
51 summer palace

im curious if tokyo will have complimentary cultural activities like other aman,
and whether prices of excursions are as high as peninsula. edit: sounds like yes >
Aman journey go they were way overpriced

There is no complimentary activities right now in Tokyo unless you consider listening to someone playing traditional music in the lobby

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 27, 2014 at 2:25 pm
Old Dec 24, 2014, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
re massage, how does it compare to tokyo hotels and luxury hotels in general?
Hard to say. The massage I had was very good... better than most luxury hotels. But that's just one therapist, and when they're fully staffed, they'll probably have 15 to 20 therapists. It also depends on what kind of massage you want. I personally hate shiatsu and it's unlikely you'll have a therapist that's good at both shiatsu and say aromatherapy. Bottom line though IMHO you will never get as good a treatment with a hotel therapist as you do with a therapist you see regularly and understands what works for you.

BTW - One problem with the spa is that it is only open from 10am to 10pm. Completely useless for a business traveler IMHO.

So far it seems that everyone has been met by the GM when checking in. That's great during the initial opening, but given that the hotel has 80 rooms, how likely is this to occur and how accessible will the GM be later on? Also does that mean that this Aman will have to go after regular business guests by offering corporate rates?

Strictly hypothetical questions for now, but given this is the largest Aman by far it may require a different management style.
Spot on. I think that's the reason Aman brought on Jeffery who has hotel experience rather than someone from inside the organization. You definitely can't judge service by your reception at opening night. It really depends on how things develop and how they handle things when the hotel is more fully occupied. Also I think the challenge for Aman Tokyo is that while there are a lot of very well trained hospitality professionals in Tokyo, they are.... very well trained....which means very much by the book and somewhat robotic service. Empowering employees with the Aman culture is a lot harder when you are dealing with employees who have a set idea of how to do things.

As I said in the OP, a lot of hotels in Tokyo have very good service, but very few can take great formal service and make it personal feel at home.

It will be interesting to see how things develop. A lot of the Aman Tokyo staff have overseas and/or previous Aman experience so that helps. Without that you get the Japanese staff saying, "This is Japan. We know how to do things. You don't. Don't tell us how to do our job."
Old Dec 24, 2014, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

did they say they would not open spa 'after' hours, even for additional fee?

lots of good details and discussion.

At the moment , there is about 20 room/suites available
i believe 21 rooms on 1 floor (84 rooms on 4 floors)
i heard theyre opening a floor at a time IIRC

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 25, 2014 at 8:02 pm
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
did they say they would not open spa 'after' hours, even for additional fee?
You can use the pool, gym, locker rooms, ofuro, steam 24 hours a day. Treatments though are only 10 to 10.

i believe 21 rooms on 1 floor (84 rooms on 4 floors)
The guest rooms are located on floors 35-38.

Last edited by 5khours; Dec 24, 2014 at 8:17 pm
Old Dec 25, 2014, 3:48 am

I like to correct 5khrs that only gym is 24 hrs the ret is only open till 1030pm at least for now
Old Dec 25, 2014, 4:33 am

The main staff that I have been interacting the most is yomiko which is transferred over from amankora (Bhutan) . She is probably has the most Aman spirit staff among everyone else I have seen , the rest is still very Japanese hospitality at best which is not at par in terms of training compare to mo. I understood a lot of the hotel staff is actually recruited from MO , Penisula and the like as I met a lot of familiar face. I think Aman has to conform to Japanese way of how things is done given they have large japanese clientele as 2 third of the guest that have checked in the hotel for the last few days have all been Japanese . Japanese is acclaimed with their service especially high end hotel and luxury ryokan so I really don't think Aman can really compete in service level compared to the other high end hotel in Tokyo.

As far as Aman journey go they were way overpriced and I wasn't interested at the journey offered so much probably I have been to Japan endless time and have traveled from the tip of Kyushu to Hokkaido. It's seems to cater to those who have never been to Japan before. In my opinion it is much better exploring Japan on your own leisure time. For one the tsukiji fish market tour with a sushi chef and as mentioned by Richard is also provided by other hotel or even travel agency . The journey include dining at the sushi chef restaurant kokoro in the evening which I think there is a conflict of interest and by the way its no where to consider the top sushiya in Tokyo let alone ginza.
There is no complimentary activities right now in Tokyo unless you consider listening to someone playing traditional music in the lobby an activities which is certainly free.

According to yomiko , the centre part of the lobby lounge which is between the restaurant and bar to be the tea or Cafe room in the future . I think the true redeeming point of my Aman Tokyo stay is the peacefulness and calm since they have very few guests at the moment which truly bring out the zen atmosphere the hotel is trying to transpire which I doubt will be the same case anymore once the hotel is fully opened

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.