Reload this Page >

Aman Tokyo - Trip Report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aman Tokyo - Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:37 am

Talk about territorial imperatives! I don't know a thing about Japanese food - Mr Hayler does about four trips a year to Japan just to go to restaurants so I think he probably does have some grasp of that cuisine.

In my own world a close English friend of mine was a film critic who spoke and wrote Mandarin fluently, married a Chinese girl and wrote extensively about Chinese cinema. At the same time, another Englishman regarded himself an expert on Chinese cinema. Both slagged each other off as a sort of default position.

In posting the link to Hayler's review I was just trying to be helpful, not starting a turf war.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Talk about territorial imperatives! I don't know a thing about Japanese food - Mr Hayler does about four trips a year to Japan just to go to restaurants so I think he probably does have some grasp of that cuisine.

In posting the link to Hayler's review I was just trying to be helpful, not starting a turf war.
If you did know about Japanese cuisine, you would find his descriptions of foods, which are often over simplified or just flat out incorrect, to be very irritating.

There's no turf war. For all I know there may be merit to his reviews of other types of cuisine, but his reviews of Japanese restaurants are total rubbish. I think it is fair to point that out to anyone who might read those reviews.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re aman tokyo restaurant review >

scores relative to top michelin 3 star

Originally Posted by Pausanias
andyhayler.com/restaurant/aman-tokyo
overall the meal was enjoyable enough though rather erratic
setting is spectacular with its panoramic view over the city
wine markups 1.3 2.2 2.5 3.5
menu items, prices, photos are informative factual details

re hayler >

IIRC he has philosophical problem with sushi/tempura/etc restaurants
Pausanias, i think youve missed some of hayler's own admissions

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 26, 2015 at 12:48 pm
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:28 am

I love Andy Hayler's blog, have spoken to him a few times and also tend to agree with almost every review he has written of English restaurants (except the Fat Duck), but I used his blog for some guidance in Tokyo and ended up going to Ryugin, which was the biggest waste of money I've ever spent on a meal. Still, as with almost anything involving critiquing something, not everyone is going to agree with you - I would have not given Aman's restaurant anywhere close to double digits.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:44 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK folks, food critics can be discussed in the dedicated FT dining forum.

Back to the Aman Tokyo!

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Oct 27, 2015, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I give Aman Tokyo's restaurant top marks for their produce and ingredients. The Japanese breakfast and kaiseki set we had was pretty darn good. The ingredients were probably a half step above Andaz Tokyo and MO Tokyo. They lose marks for charging extra for substitutions and the inattentive service. You would think Aman would be the first in line to accommodate guests' preferences.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by Aventine
I give Aman Tokyo's restaurant top marks for their produce and ingredients. The Japanese breakfast and kaiseki set we had was pretty darn good. The ingredients were probably a half step above Andaz Tokyo and MO Tokyo. They lose marks for charging extra for substitutions and the inattentive service. You would think Aman would be the first in line to accommodate guests' preferences.
We had a nice dinner there which was delicious and well presented. However, service wasn't great at dinner albeit better at breakfast when we were the only diners (!).

I think it's also disappointing only because it isn't as great as Aman dining usually is (in my past experiences)...
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xray
We had a nice dinner there which was delicious and well presented. However, service wasn't great at dinner albeit better at breakfast when we were the only diners (!).

I think it's also disappointing only because it isn't as great as Aman dining usually is (in my past experiences)...
I thought it would have been more polished right off the bat. I thought Japan and Aman was a no-brainer for efficiency and service. They do have the nicest afternoon tea in the city. Booked until end of November!
Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: QF LTG
I just booked 5 nights in late March. Booked through Amex FHR which includes a $100 credit (would that buy much at the spa?) and complimentary American Breakfast.

Been to a few Amans so looking forward to trying out a city location.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
I just booked 5 nights in late March. Booked through Amex FHR which includes a $100 credit (would that buy much at the spa?) and complimentary American Breakfast.

Been to a few Amans so looking forward to trying out a city location.
It's probably less than a third of a massage.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by Aventine
It's probably less than a third of a massage.
I figured. Does anyone have a price list for spa treatments? Otherwise I'll just blow the credit on drinks or something. Won't be doing lots of meals at the Aman.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
I figured. Does anyone have a price list for spa treatments? Otherwise I'll just blow the credit on drinks or something. Won't be doing lots of meals at the Aman.
No. But all I remember is they're on the high end even for Tokyo. The bathing facility and pool is worth checking out though.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

many amans have various menus online now >
aman.com/resorts/aman-tokyo/wellness-experience[/url]
ttps://cdn.aman.com/sites/default/files/e-aman_tokyo_spa_broc.pdf
(shows aman tokyo did launch memberships)

basically same price as MO spa >
http://www.mandarinoriental.com/toky...-spa/overview/
photos.mandarinoriental.com/is/content/MandarinOriental/tokyo-spa-brochure

some toyko hotel rate comparison >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post25763372

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 5, 2016 at 10:31 am
Old Jan 25, 2016, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Stayed last night. My experience largely mirrors that of the prevailing opinion: phenomenal facilities, mediocre (by my expectations) food and service.

I booked through Classic Travel to get the Virtuouso benefits. While we did get a $100 (11300 yen) F&B credit, free American breakfast, and 4pm late checkout, we were not afforded a room upgrade from Deluxe to Premium despite ample availability showing up online.

Even the base room was spectacular, and the lobby and pool may be the best I've ever experienced (The word "seen" seems too limiting. They are all a treat to many senses), but I did not experience the service that makes people "Aman Junkies". It is a very nice luxury hotel among many luxury hotels in Tokyo, but ultimately doesn't do what is necessary to make it stand out as THE luxury hotel of Tokyo.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:28 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Sent a few clients to Aman earlier in the year (Apr - Aug)...they had nice things to say. One client is ready to book again for next Spring. Decided to take a look for myself. Booked for 3 nights in December. Will report back. Hope to be "wowed!" but the expectation is being managed based on the previous comments.

Speaking of new properties, I did recently visit Amanera, in the Dominican. Stunning Casitas and property. One of my favorites so far...Service was a bit sub-par vs. Asian/Bali Amans as they are still learning but staff was very warm...anyway, I digress....if you're interested, I have a review up on the blog...

Reivew: http://www.besvisor.com/test/
Photos: http://www.besvisor.com/amanera

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.