Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas (to become Waldorf-Astoria)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas (to become Waldorf-Astoria)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
R.I.P. to the Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas... I stayed there frequently in 2009-2011 and it was always a pleasant, calm oasis, especially during the downturn when the Vegas hotels weren't as busy. It got less impressive service-wise as the years went on, but it will be missed. Hopefully the Waldorf will do something cool/special with the property.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Katlor
R.I.P. to the Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas... I stayed there frequently in 2009-2011 and it was always a pleasant, calm oasis, especially during the downturn when the Vegas hotels weren't as busy. It got less impressive service-wise as the years went on, but it will be missed. Hopefully the Waldorf will do something cool/special with the property.
It's closing?
I had a great stay there - don't think I would have wanted to stay anywhere else in LV!
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Fliar
It's closing?
I had a great stay there - don't think I would have wanted to stay anywhere else in LV!
No, will only be reflagged.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:30 pm

It’s always unfortunate when an hotel downgrades to a lesser flag. From a service perspective it’s usually a bad sign. The potential upside is that the same hard product often becomes less expensive under the new flag. And, in this case, it’s good for people with Hilton points/status.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: some
sorry, what does 'reflag' mean?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Fliar
sorry, what does 'reflag' mean?
Change of management contract / hotel operator / branding. Depends if hotel is a franchised/leased/managed/owned property, but you get the idea.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
It’s always unfortunate when an hotel downgrades to a lesser flag. From a service perspective it’s usually a bad sign. The potential upside is that the same hard product often becomes less expensive under the new flag. And, in this case, it’s good for people with Hilton points/status.
I liked the Waldorf Vegas because of the location of the property, the room product, amenities like the outstanding bar, and the service. Even if the service is downgraded, the other attributes will be preserved. In addition, the ability to earn and redeem points at a luxury property right in the middle of the Strip is rare. I generally prefer Mandarins to any Hilton brand, but this could end up being a net positive if they do it right.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
The Mandarin was very generous with bath amenities (even the base rooms came with the full works of toothbrush, toothpaste, bath salts, etc.) which I find to be very nice. It has some other great touches like the valet closet for delivery of items, shoeshine, etc. Will be interesting to see how much of the quality is preserved when it changes to a WA. Even with some downgrading it'll likely remain a go-to for me given the great location and the fact that you can have peace and quiet to sleep after your Vegas adventures. Does anyone know if it'll remain part of Amex FHR this year or do we have to wait until the 2019 contracts are made?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
Does anyone know if it'll remain part of Amex FHR this year or do we have to wait until the 2019 contracts are made?
Given how long it typically takes FHR just to renew contracts for existing FHR properties, I doubt we'll know until 2019.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.