Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Retreats Management Inc?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: luxury traveler

Just received a "booking contract" from a travel rep at www.luxuryretreats.com. A few concerns… there is no address for the Villa. It literally reads: Property Name: villa x Region Punta Mita Destination: Mexico number of bedrooms: 5 number of adults: 6
There is no other descriptive language for the villa, nor a reference to the website.
The rental fee is listed ($14,000), taxes: "0" (we were told they were included). The security deposit can be taken as a credit card deposit. They only accept wire transfers or certified check for the 14k.
Our dates of travel are within the nonrefundable dates for cancellation, so payment is due immediately for confirmation of our itinerary.

Under general terms: "This agreement will be governed by the laws of Barbados and any disputes must be referred to a Barbados court."

Has anyone every dealt with this company? My friends want to stay at this Villa but I cannot sign this contract. Thanks for any perspectives and feel free to let me know if I should post on a different forum…
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Didn`t sound too good. I woudn`t pay them Money unless a few people here know them.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you pay by wire transfer or certified check, you have no recourse if something goes wrong.

How did you find this outfit?

An address could permit you to look on google maps or even check ownership and real estate tax records as well as any required licenses for short term rentals in the jurisdiction.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

My girlfriend did an online search for a villa, luxury retreats.com has a nice looking website. Apparently they have listings on flipkey.com, too. A brief google search doesn't turn up much more.. She has been corresponding with an "agent" there that has an email address of [email protected]
The company is Luxury Retreats Management Inc with a Quebec address for the bank account. Phone 514-393-8844, US 877-993-0100

We have a backup plan! I am holding the 3 BR beachfront at the St Regis for our dates…

If anyone has any legal experience and wants a copy of the "agreement" I am happy to fax/send.
For now, I'm the deal breaker for our group based on these concerns.

Last edited by chicagocat; Sep 16, 2014 at 5:46 pm Reason: error
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:51 pm
Community Director Emerita

Is the property in post one a different property than the St Regis Punta Mita? If it is one and the same, I'd contact the StR directly and ask if the other company has authority to lease its villa. I had a too good to be true price once for a luxe property in Vietnam. I was very suspicious, so contacted the hotel directly. Surprisingly, it was legit and my mind was at rest.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:30 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
For what it is worth.... they are a real company and I am very aware of them. But I don't have access to their financial statements nor can I prove they are forwarding the funds to the villa owner as they are just a broker. They skirt the local Quebec Gov't consumer protection laws (OPC) somehow which would normally offer you full protection for your travel purchase
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:33 pm
Community Director Emerita

Article about the company
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ABG
For what it is worth.... they are a real company and I am very aware of them. But I don't have access to their financial statements nor can I prove they are forwarding the funds to the villa owner as they are just a broker. They skirt the local Quebec Gov't consumer protection laws (OPC) somehow which would normally offer you full protection for your travel purchase
Are their offices physically on reservation or treaty land? That would be the easiest way to accomplish what you describe...
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:10 pm
Suspended

FWIW, if you're interested in a reputable villa rental company, head over to Villas of Distinction. Used them 2x, great people to work with, and customer service is on-point.

http://www.villasofdistinction.com
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:37 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by ridefar
Are their offices physically on reservation or treaty land? That would be the easiest way to accomplish what you describe...
Not that i'm aware of.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the referrals for reputable businesses that arrange villa rentals. The St Regis villa we arranged is via Amex FHR. I'm curious to hear about other experiences with this "luxury" service business.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:01 pm

Do not book with luxury retreats

Our group lost $16,000 with Luxury Retreats. They booked us in to a villa in Mexico where 7 people were shot and killed nearby. When we contacted them weeks before our scheduled departure to ask them to book us in a safer location, they did not want to know. They refused to re-book us. They still have our $16,000 and our friend’s birthday trip was completely ruined.

Stay at away from Luxury Retreats if you value your life and your money!

Maryann Kolb
vuittonsofstyle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.