Reload this Page >

Trip Report: Fogo Island Inn, Newfoundland, Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report: Fogo Island Inn, Newfoundland, Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:37 pm

Ridefar - do you know what? I really didn't even think about it which is very out of character for me. I had made a mental note basically upon arrival that I wanted to meet the chef and tour the kitchen, maybe investigate the bread baking a bit (I bake all our bread at home and have achieved my life's work of convincing my children that whatever Wonder White is, it isn't bread). What with staring out the windows and chatting with my wife, though, it just went clear out of my head and it was only as I was writing the review that the missed opportunity hit me. At least you have armed me with a solid excuse for a really thorough return trip.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:42 pm
Community Director Emerita

Here is the iG page for the chef:

https://www.instagram.com/jonathan_gushue/

In this article about him, it sounds as though he became chef at Fogo Island Inn in late 2017.

https://nuvomagazine.com/magazine/wi...ogo-island-inn
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Here is the iG page for the chef:

https://www.instagram.com/jonathan_gushue/

In this article about him, it sounds as though he became chef at Fogo Island Inn in late 2017.

https://nuvomagazine.com/magazine/wi...ogo-island-inn
Nice. Thanks. Different than the chef that was there at opening, so its great to hear the quality is still very high.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:30 pm

Did you check out the lobster claw in the chef’s Instagram picture? Humongous!
It appears that Lobster has a season. Were you able to eat it while you were at Fogo?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:38 pm
Original Member

eamus, did you meet the dogs, Make and Break?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:19 pm

Yes my wife loved the Newfies and they are gigantic! Fun fact: they really only eat three cups of food a day despite being >100lbs because they don’t really do anything. They just sit there and be shaggy. They are very sweet though. Pic attached (hopefully). Also, note that "Newfie" means the dog, not the person from that province. They are NEW-fun-LAND-ers or New-fun-LAND-ers and I didn't meet a one I didn't admire for their positive attitude. They all thought Zita was slightly bonkers when she started the Inn, but have absolutely signed on to her vision and love what the Shorefast Foundation has been able to do for their community. ZIta lives in a very unassuming house close to the Inn.

We did get some lobster although it was early in the season. Lots of crab, though, and our tour of the crab processing plant was fascinating.
KatW and LinLant like this.

Last edited by eamus; Jul 30, 2019 at 8:11 am
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:18 am

Thanks for the review. We nearly booked a trip during summer of 2017 but we couldn't make the logistics work. My cousin is living in that area now and your review has my wheels turning for next summer.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by ridefar
Nice. Thanks. Different than the chef that was there at opening, so its great to hear the quality is still very high.
Jonathan Gushue is an excellent chef...food at Langdon Hall was superb when he was there. He was well-known in the chef circles around these parts
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:01 am

We received our pre arrival information. It emphasized their no tipping policy and stated the portion of our bill that goes to the employees. i wish every all inclusive property were this way. By contrast, we're going to see polar bears this fall. This also is an all inclusive trip. That pre arrival information gives the amount of money we should tip each category of employee. It increases the feeling of luxury when I don't have to struggle with calculations as to how much I should tip and whom, how to have it in local currency, and how to find relevant employees to tip them. Well done, Fogo Island Inn.
KatW, obscure2k, dgreen12 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:15 pm
Original Member

I’ve been frustrated by considering this venue to be outside my reach, given our SF Bay Area location and the relative difficulty of reaching the inn with beloved but demented Jim in tow. But next month Jim is moving to a dementia care residence with fantastic staff and programs. I will visit most days.

So, I am considering an October 2020 stay combined with this cruise:
https://www.adventurecanada.com/atlantic-canada-expedition-cruises/newfoundland-circumnavigation

Yoohoo, BEVISOR.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by KatW
So, I am considering an October 2020 stay combined with this cruise:
We had an amazing stay last week. It was brutal to get there but I am glad we made the effort. At least you are one flight closer by beginning in SFO. If I were to go a second time, I'd look at the private flight they have laid on from Halifax. We saw the airfield on the island. They have only offered it two days a week for two months this year and I've no idea their plans for next year.

eamus wrote up a wonderful report and there is little to add to it. But what I will say is to do everything you can with a community member. These are all included. There is no extra charge. This property is unique in all where we have stayed in that you go out with someone who has lived on the island for decades, who remember when there was no electricity and indoor plumbing, who knows that the Provincial Minister wanted to move everyone off the island, who remembers when there were no roads and they didn't even know there was a village just 11 miles away. We had a 5 hour private trip with Gene in his car. What a special experience. My husband hiked to three of the four studios with a different man. We went to the community dinner (limited to 18 people) in the adjacent "shed" also built by Todd Saunders. The couple who hosted it told stories of the island after a wonderful crab boil up.

Watch every YouTube video you can find about Zita Cobb, the person who invested her personal fortune in the charity she established that owns the Inn. It has revitalized the island. Her philosophy is amazing. Watch YouTube videos about the architect, Todd Saunders. We learned we had walked out on a sightseeing bridge in Aurland, Norway, two years ago, that he designed. It gives a stunning view of a remote fjord. Both happened to be inhouse when we were there. There's a cinema showing videos throughout the day on Zita, on the island, and on other people from Fogo Island. We saw the movie DIVERTED about the 42 planes diverted to Gander on 9/11.

We didn't find the perfection of service that eamus reported, but the stay was so amazing in extraordinary ways that we are deeply glad that we visited.

My heart goes out to you in regards to your beloved husband. You're doing the right thing.
KatW, obscure2k, dgreen12 and 4 others like this.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Aug 22, 2019 at 4:44 pm
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:03 pm
Original Member

Thanks, SanDiego1K, for that report. It reinforces my intent. We’ll be on a circumnavigation cruise beginning and ending in St. Johns so our flights will be spread out, not quite so brutal. Plus my friend will be flying from NYC so ought to be a piece of cake for her. haha
dgreen12, bhrubin and BESVISOR like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:52 pm
Original Member

>3 nights at Alt Hotel St. John’s

eamus, how did Alt work out for you?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:54 pm

KatW, the top place to eat in St Johns is RAYMONDS. It is superb, considered one of the top restaurants in all of Canada. You need to book a couple months in advance. Mallard Cottage is good for a second night, best mussels we've ever had. It also has to be booked well ahead.
KatW, gcashin and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by KatW
eamus, how did Alt work out for you?
We liked the Alt but it isn’t luxury. Think clean and Nordic. They do not have a lot of room types and we had the largest - which was pretty small in fact. It had a nice harbor view, though, and worked well for us. Raymond’s is right next door. The Alt has parking (actually an issue in downtown St. John’s) underneath the hotel and I don’t think I was charged for it although I think it was posted as only $15/night with in and out privileges. We really enjoyed Raymond’s and booked it when we arrived, but as they say it is very popular so book early to avoid disappointment. We also ate at Merchant’s Tavern (owned by the same family and more casual) and really liked it as well. Very good food and a younger crowd; also a nice bar if you just want a drink. Book it if you want dinner there, as we did.

We also had a nice beer or two in the taproom at Qidi Vidi Brewing Co and brunch at Mallard Cottage in Qidi Vidi which is a small area a couple of miles from downtown. (Walking around Qidi Vidi Lake is nice too.) Pronunciation is something like kitty-vitty, not queedy-veedy).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.