Wiki Posts
Search

Shangri-La sydney

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
Shangri-La sydney

I would like to get some opinions or reviews about the Shangri-La hotel in Sydney.
Me and my wife are planning to go for 9 nights to Sydney and would like to stay at a nice hotel with harbour bridge / Opera view.
From previous experience (not from Sydney that is ) i selected the following hotels. Four seasons, Shangri-La, Marriott, Intercontinental.
I looked at all the hotels for a room with a nice view.
As we stayed at the Shangri-la hotel (Horizon Club room) in HongKong and we where very happy with this i decided to go for the Shangr-La Horizon Club DeLuxe Grand Harbour View room.
Unfortunately i can't find much about this hotel on the net except what trip advisor is writing and i don't think that those reviews are very accurate. ( more emotional then factual from holiday makers )
All information is welcome.

Last edited by merijn; Jun 1, 2014 at 5:57 pm Reason: oops spelling mistake in the title, Sorry
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:29 am

I stayed here several months ago. Loved the location and the service. Breakfast buffet was very good too. The view from my room of the Opera House was incredible.

Can't go wrong with it. I'm a picky traveller and I recommend it.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:29 am

I haven't stayed at the S-La in Sydney but have the island S-la in HK and had a very comfortable stay. I would imagine the Sydney one would be of a similar standard. We stayed at the IC a few months ago and had a great suite with views of the Bridge Opera house and the Harbour to the East. The Club lounge is on the top floor and has spectacular views. Don't forget to book through Virtuoso if the hotel you choose is part of the programme - the IC is and I imagine the S-la is too. Gets you free Club access at the IC - not sure what the benefits are at other hotels but usually at least free breakfast and an upgrade if available. If you don't know a virtuoso agent - there a few who post on here.

The trick with Tripadvisor is to read the reviews selectively. Ignore any that are 1 time reviewers only and concentrate on those from reviewers who stay in similar class of hotel to you. Also look at the photos.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 5:35 am

Programs: QF CL
Of the four you are considering I wouldn't bother with the 4S or the Marriott. Personally I prefer the view from the club at the Intercon, but I'd give a slight edge to the rooms at the Shang. However, on location the Intercon wins hands down for me.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
The trick with Tripadvisor is to read the reviews selectively. Ignore any that are 1 time reviewers only and concentrate on those from reviewers who stay in similar class of hotel to you. Also look at the photos.
Absolutely agree except they have recently completely messed up the way you view photos. It's worse than useless nowadays.

I thought the Park Hyatt was the lodging of choice in Sydney, especially as the Four Seasons isn't one of their best properties, though I did once have a Cinerama view of the harbour from one of their upper floor doubles. I also liked the IC though it's not fully a luxury property in my view.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by Baghoarder
Of the four you are considering I wouldn't bother with the 4S or the Marriott. Personally I prefer the view from the club at the Intercon, but I'd give a slight edge to the rooms at the Shang. However, on location the Intercon wins hands down for me.
I stay about 6 times a year in SYD and would agree to discount Marriott.
I think the Club at ICH to best viewing but usually stay in Shangri-la due to
Virtuoso benefits. 4 Seasons has best location for walking around the Rocks.
No easy decision- personal preferences. All 3 are good.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Park Hyatt is the lodging of choice in Sydney but's also far more expensive than the other options of that makes a difference to anyone.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:29 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the OP is asking about upscale, not luxury, hotels here (and as folks have pointed out, Sydney does have a luxury hotel, the PH). So I'll give this thread a bit longer here then move it to the dedicated Australia forum where there may be better insights.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I think the OP is asking about upscale, not luxury, hotels here (and as folks have pointed out, Sydney does have a luxury hotel, the PH). So I'll give this thread a bit longer here then move it to the dedicated Australia forum where there may be better insights.

Maybe it is because English is not my first language but what is the main difference between upscale and luxury hotels.
I'm looking for experiences between the mentioned hotels as they are on my shortlist unless people have advise on others hotels with similar location/view etc and price range.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by zebranz
I stay about 6 times a year in SYD and would agree to discount Marriott.
I think the Club at ICH to best viewing but usually stay in Shangri-la due to
Virtuoso benefits. 4 Seasons has best location for walking around the Rocks.
No easy decision- personal preferences. All 3 are good.
IC has Virtuoso benefits too.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF

Sydney has I think 4 Virtuoso hotels, including three of the four being considered by the OP. Are we saying that only discussion of the PH is now permitted?

Many here agree that the luxury offering in Sydney lacks the depth of some other cities. But personally I still find it helpful to hear the views of others on this board in relation to cities like Sydney.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
Sydney has I think 4 Virtuoso hotels, including three of the four being considered by the OP. Are we saying that only discussion of the PH is now permitted?

Many here agree that the luxury offering in Sydney lacks the depth of some other cities. But personally I still find it helpful to hear the views of others on this board in relation to cities like Sydney.
+1 ^
Old Jun 2, 2014, 5:20 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
The Four Seasons does have some flaws, but the Premier Full Harbour-View Room has great views as does Full Harbour-Vew Junior Suite. Location is perfect. I live in Sydney so haven't stayed for a while now so can't comment on service. But the bar is quite nice there.

Otherwise, Park Hyatt is great and was where I used to stay before I lived here. Location is good too - Walsh Bay has some really nice places to eat.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 5:21 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
PS. Shangri-La's bar up the top attracts a horrific Sydney crowd. Shame, it has good views for a drink but I just cannot deal with the types of people there.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:33 pm

hello..

I remained here several several weeks ago. Liked the place and the support. Morning meal food was very excellent too. The perspective from my space of the Safari Home was amazing. i individually like it ..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.