Reload this Page >

Trip Reports: Four Seasons Hualalai, Big Island, HI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Reports: Four Seasons Hualalai, Big Island, HI

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:16 pm

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Privé, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by cdmca
Hello all,

What is the situation with the wristbands? Can the guests take them off when not dining etc?
We just returned from FS Hualalai, and on arrival they take your temperature and give you a colored wristband. Every morning at breakfast the hostess takes your temperature and asks if anything has changed in how you are feeling. They cut off the wristband from the previous day and wrap a new one in a different color around your wrist for the next 24 hours. Wristbands are also checked by the hostesses at lunch and dinner before you are seated.

We were at FS Maui over Thanksgiving and all guests had to wear a wristband there as well.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, FPC Premier, UA Silver, Hyatt Explorist, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by KristenNix
We just returned from FS Hualalai, and on arrival they take your temperature and give you a colored wristband. Every morning at breakfast the hostess takes your temperature and asks if anything has changed in how you are feeling. They cut off the wristband from the previous day and wrap a new one in a different color around your wrist for the next 24 hours. Wristbands are also checked by the hostesses at lunch and dinner before you are seated.

We were at FS Maui over Thanksgiving and all guests had to wear a wristband there as well.
Thanks you! So are these just simple plastic wristbands, ie. not electronic (RFID or GPS/geo-fence or other)?
Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:50 pm

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Privé, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by cdmca
Thanks you! So are these just simple plastic wristbands, ie. not electronic (RFID or GPS/geo-fence or other)?
They are just simple waterproof paper wristbands... nothing fancy.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 1:53 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Was there this past weekend. The enforcement of the wristbands is quite lax. We did breakfast in room and transited the resort frequently without being checked.

Seems like they are still ramping up to meet demand. Breakfast was late 3 out of our 4 days (always with a call to let us know, but even then delivery was sometimes 15 mins+ outside updated window). Unfortunate that the golf course grill is closed; they had it open temporarily during easter and it seems to be one of the better dining options on grounds.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 2:36 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Yikes on the service/wait. Heading there next week. Hopefully they are trending in the right direction. Will report back.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 2:38 pm
Original Member

News reports say the Biltmore Four Seasons in Santa Barbara will be closed through 2022.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 5:58 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
What’s the deal with the wristbands - is this an FS thing to keep track of who has gone through health screenings?
Old Apr 9, 2021, 6:17 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Wristbands

The Four Seasons Hualalai and Maui have a wristband policy with each guest getting a new wristband every day, usually at breakfast when you check-in after having your temperature checked on your wrist. The idea is if you are eating around other people or taking an exercise class, you should not have a fever. If you are eating in your room or just lounging around the pool, you aren’t going to need a health check and are not going to be offered a wrist band. If you want to be checked and receive one you can also ask for one.

When were there recently the policy was very well done and not intrusive.
United747, levilevi and BESVISOR like this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 7:09 pm

Trip Report - Spring Break 2021

We recently returned from a nine night vacation at Four Seasons Hualalai over spring break. We have stayed here several times over the years, and it is definitely one of our favorites. I covered a lot of what we love above in post #110 and to avoid duplicating what I have already shared, here are a few new things that stood out for us along with some of our photos from this vacation...

- The resort is low rise and oceanfront on level ground, and we love there are a lot of different spaces to explore and enjoy.

- All of the pools are gorgeous and each has its own style. The new infinity-edge pool that sits in the lava rock just above King’s Pond is stunning. Palm Grove is adults-only and very popular, Beach Tree is iconic, and Sea Shell is awesome for families with little kids. Our favorite pools are King’s Pond and Beach Tree.

- Rooms and suites have been renovated with new furniture, artwork, cabinetry, headboards, televisions, etc, and the lanais have comfortable outdoor furniture. We loved our room with views from the second floor overlooking King’s Pond.

- Brand new Bungalow Zero. Our friends were staying in the upper floor 2 bedroom suite while we were at the resort and it is gorgeous. Awesome oceanfront views and a large plunge pool with integrated hot tub on the lanai of the ground floor suite. This new bungalow is steps from the ocean and King’s Pond, and it is very private.

- The golf course has been renovated and is in perfect condition, we loved snorkeling from the resort's outrigger canoe and also in King’s Pond, and the tennis facility is fantastic with lots of guests and residents playing everyday.

- We ate every meal on property. The breakfast buffet at ‘Ulu is open and each station is managed by servers behind plexiglass dividers, or you can order off the menu from your table. For lunch and dinners we rotated between poolside (different menus at each pool), Beach Tree, Residents Beach House, and ‘Ulu. Service and quality were consistently excellent, and the oceanfront views are really gorgeous.

- They are taking social distancing very seriously with at least 6 feet separating all guests on the pool decks, beach, restaurants, etc. and they check your temperature everyday for the safety of everyone on property.

We truly love FS Hualalai and we can not wait to return again.
Attached Images          
obscure2k, Ericka, ABG and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 8:03 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
That new pool at Kings Pond is very interesting. Thanks for the great review. I love this hotel.
BESVISOR and KristenNix like this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 6:58 pm
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Aloha from Sensei Lana'i! Few more nights in Lanai then off to the updated Hualalai
Can't wait to see it. Purposely waited until the renovation is nearly finished to return. Excited to see the new villas (added 2nd floor).
levilevi, LinLant and exactlyaron like this.
Old May 9, 2021, 6:20 am
formerly htang333

Four Seasons Hualalai - 2021 Renovation

Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu

72-100 Ka'upulehu Drive Kailua-Kona, HI US 96740

Four Seasons Hualalai - 2021 Renovation (0 Photo)

Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu

Here's my lengthy video review: 

https://youtu.be/ssTdomvjIJw

Per usual, for those who can't sit through sound of my voice and rants...Some high level takeaways per below. 

Good: 

• To the point. If you've liked FS Hualalai before, this renovation will make you fall in love with it again. 
  • LOVE the new pool at King's Pond. Absolutely stunning. Spent most of my 5 days there. 
  • Brought the rooms/suites to current times with more tech (that actually works and not overly complex). 
  • Some of the newly built suites and villas (added second floors to originaly villas) are stunning for the Hawaii market. 
  • Service was mostly very good. Even during high occupancy. 
  • Still super family friendly (maybe con for some? lol). 

Bad: 

• If you didn't like FS Hualalai's previous decor and design, this renovation certainly won't convert you into a fan. 
  • Still not a swimmable or swim friendly beach (but that has nothing to do with the renovation)
  • Food was fine and wasn't bad but it wasn't memroable either. 
Four Seasons Hualalai - 2021 Renovation

Would you like to write a review on the Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:20 pm

Anyone stay here more recently? How is the service?

We stayed here a few years ago and loved it. We have another reservation for later this year but it appears as if the service has gone downhill. I sent the concierge an e-mail two weeks ago to make dinner reservations and never heard back. Sent a follow-up a week later and crickets. Got Ourisman to contact them and they basically said "Sorry we get to e-mails when we can first come first serve." I understand that but if you're over 2 weeks behind on your e-mails, it makes me very concerned about everything else. COVID, sure, but prices have skyrocketed to around $2500/night and this really just puts a bad taste in my mouth. Some recent tripadvisor reviews mention similar issues.

I'm considering cancelling and booking somewhere else (Mauna Lani?) but wanted to see whether anyone here had similar experiences.

This really sucks because always considered Hualalai the nicest resort we've been to in Hawaii and recommended it to others. Any other resorts with a comparable luxury/service feel? Any island really. I just want to sit on a beach and drink something out of a pineapple.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:38 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Montage Kapalua is excellent. Those issues at Hualalai are shocking. Good luck
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 2:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
We have been twice in the past year, as Covid was just starting and before they closed, and during Festive when capacity is at its greatest and both times the service was excellent and as it has always been. They were particularly fast with responding via the Four Seasons app. If you already have a booking I highly recommend you communicate with them that way. They are on it!

If you have not been back since the extensive room renovations and pool renovations, I cannot more highly recommend you come back. Your pineapple drink is waiting for you.
BESVISOR likes this.

Last edited by Goodmorning2U; Jul 29, 2021 at 2:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.