Wiki Posts
Search

$28,000 a Night: Hotels Race to Attract Superrich Clientele

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:41 pm
Used to be 'FTcadence'
Original Poster

$28,000 a Night: Hotels Race to Attract Superrich Clientele

There are luxury hotels and then there're...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/01/21...superrich.html

“There is a very narrow market who want nothing less,” said Scott Berman, the United States hospitality and leisure practice leader at PricewaterhouseCoopers. “Price is not an issue. We’re talking about the jet set of the jet sets — high-net-worth individuals, generally foreign travelers in the U.S. who are accustomed to opulence.”
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:34 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I read it today, most of the article was a puff piece for a single suite being built at the NY Palace. Nary a mention of the Ty Warner suite at the FS which used to garner all the publicity way back when.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I read it today, most of the article was a puff piece for a single suite being built at the NY Palace. Nary a mention of the Ty Warner suite at the FS which used to garner all the publicity way back when.
I agree. There have always been super-expensive suites/villas at high-end hotels. Nothing new here.

On a side note, am I alone in finding the Jewel Suite's design really boring? For $28,000-a-night, it should be pretty spectacular. http://www.newyorkpalace.com/towers/suites/jewel-suite

Last edited by Shangri-La; Jan 22, 2014 at 2:03 pm
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Shangri-La
I agree. There have always been super-expensive suites.villas at high-end hotels. Nothing new here.

On a side note, a, I alone in finding the Jewel Suite's design really boring? For $28,000-a-night, it should be pretty spectacular. http://www.newyorkpalace.com/towers/suites/jewel-suite
Agreed. I read this yesterday and found the photos incredibly dull. A lot of empty/wasted space, from what I recall.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Agree with everything It`s always the same with this subject. Ooooh, most expensive Hotel of the world with a 60000 $ Suite or something like that. I also love this TV-reports. "Oooh, this is real luxury". They like to Report about "rich" People in more or less expensive Hotels or on ships in Germany. Real luxury is, if you drink Champain on a surfboard in the Carribean´It`s always fun.

Back to Topic it`s really nothing new,this suites exist since the beginning of hotels. The Suite is OK, but doesn`t blow me away. It`s like the PResidential Suite at FS Washington. Not really build to stay inside. For what reason do you nee 3 sitting areas?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:32 am

I agree it's a fluff piece article.

I think the main purpose of these suites is publicity. I would be curious as to how many people pay rack rates for these suites. My guess is that most guests in the market for these suites are smart enough to negotiate more reasonable rates.

Hypothetically speaking, if I were in the market for such a penthouse suite I would want to be paying no more than half of these inflated rack rates, if not considerably less. It also would surely not be at the New York Palace...

Hotel industry professionals say these over-the-top suites serve a dual purpose. “A large part of what we do is creating an image,” Mr. Tisch said. Super-suites cater to the needs of billionaire travelers as well as the imaginations of middle-class tourists.

“This hotel already had a fantastic flow of high-net-worth people using our suites,” Mr. Chase said, listing Saudi diplomats and royalty, as well as Hollywood and sports stars, as regular guests.

They also indirectly attract a middle-class, aspirational traveler, Mr. Chase said. “It is the attention — the halo effect — doing a suite like this brings,” he said. Even if they’ll never be able to drop the cost of a new compact car on a night’s stay at a hotel, some travelers want to brush elbows with that level of wealth.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jan 22, 2014 at 1:57 am
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing more than a good PR agent in action.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
What do you think: How many People really staying at a hotel (in a "normal" room or Suite of course) because it has a "mega-Suite"? I can imagin that some People are affected by such things. For me it`s irrelevant which Suite is available, I (like more or less all People here) only look at my own Suite. Also it`s not interesting which celebrity stays at the Hotel, because I don`have an Advantage from it. To be honest it`s always a Problem if such People, in paticular politicans, stay at your hotel.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Agreed. I read this yesterday and found the photos incredibly dull. A lot of empty/wasted space, from what I recall.
I also like that I'm suppose to be impressed by Martin Katz at this price point as well.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: SPG GOLD
The photos in the NYT article are absolutely horrible, especially the one of the bedroom. If you're selling what is supposed to be the suite to end all suites perhaps you should have a little more attention to detail.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

charter yachts can run up to half a million dollars per day plus expenses
charter jets can run tens of thousands of dollars per hour

$30K+ FS NY penthouse >

jun 9 2010 WSJ article >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
occupied about 25% of the year...guests are usually billionaire businessmen traveling with their significant others
Jun 17, 2010 posts >
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
They appeared to have around 50% occupancy for that suite, back when I last stayed at FS NY - mostly US guests, apparently, which surprised me.
re US billionaires >
http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/10/wor...2010_land.html
US residents 396 (39%)
US citizens 403 (40%)
$18K+ FS NY presidential >

apr 19 2006 forbes article >
FSNY >
one floor down, there are eight units whose combined revenue is less than that of the two Presidential suites--even accounting for the higher occupancy rates of the smaller rooms.
52nd - 1 penthouse ($35K)
51st - 2 presidential ($18K)
50th - 2 studio suites ($3550 > $3700) + 6 tower rooms ($1350 > $1615)
= $17,090 max for 50th floor which could also probably be viewed as ~10>15 rooms (vs double that for two floors above)

and, most expensive hotels >
€5164+ north - 12 villas
€3850+ fregate - 22 villas
$5040+ laucala - 25 villas

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 23, 2014 at 8:40 am
Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Suites not only used for "living"?

Originally Posted by offerendum
What do you think: How many People really staying at a hotel (in a "normal" room or Suite of course) because it has a "mega-Suite"? I can imagin that some People are affected by such things. For me it`s irrelevant which Suite is available, I (like more or less all People here) only look at my own Suite. ....
Perhaps some corporate executives might care if a hotel as one of those "mega-suites" even when not actually staying in one?

One time I was at a luxury hotel and I asked to see one of the top suites. The duty manager thinking that the suite was "unoccupied" (according to the computer at the front desk) took me there. However, upon inserting the "master key card", he was not able to open the door as the deadbolt was activated.

Later in the evening I got a call from the front desk saying that I could take a look at the suite and warned me that a lot of the furniture has been moved around.

Once inside the suite, all of the furniture in the living room had been moved to the master bedroom. In place of the normal living room furniture were a series of tables and chairs along with a projector setup for a meeting. It appeared as if a group of executives from one of the investment banks were having a meeting there (from the notepads they left behind).

Maybe some of these top suites are sometimes used for other purposes (company meetings, special events etc.) when not occupied by actual overnight guests?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daniellam

Maybe some of these top suites are sometimes used for other purposes (company meetings, special events etc.) when not occupied by actual overnight guests?
This is very often the case.

Most hotels will show you the boardroom setups of their suites/etc.

I have used them several times for meetings, breakout rooms, negotiations, etc.

Certainly I have never spent $28000 USD though.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
This is very often the case.

Most hotels will show you the boardroom setups of their suites/etc.

I have used them several times for meetings, breakout rooms, negotiations, etc.

Certainly I have never spent $28000 USD though.
This is often the case for top suites, but the Ty Warner penthouse is used exclusively for guest occupancy.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
This is often the case for top suites, but the Ty Warner penthouse is used exclusively for guest occupancy.
Granted while I have stayed at the FSNY I have never stayed in this particular suite and strangely enough it didn't seem to be in the upgrade pool that I participate in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.