Search

Recommendations for luxury resorts with 'cottage' style accommodation in the US

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2013, 12:11 am

Villas at FS Hualalai.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 4:53 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by dhoward
Over the last couple of years we have visited many hotels on vacation and those resorts that we have liked the best were those with separate cottage-style accommodation, rather than those where all the rooms are in a single building in the traditional hotel style.

We enjoy the ease and convenience and privacy that this type of accommodation brings, and to be honest its nice not to have to walk down corridors and use an elevator whenever we leave the room. Its fine in Paris or Tokyo but when we are on summer vacation in the US we have found that this type of accommodation suits us best.

Some examples would be :

Bel Air
Four Seasons Biltmore Santa Barbara
Four Seasons Scottsdale
And to a lesser extent the Four Seasons Residence Club at Aviara

The first two we particularly like because of the history and character of the hotels.

Does anyone have any recommendations for us for next year for resorts with similar types of accommodation? There are just the two of us and we don't need a large villa as it just seems excessive. We'd like somewhere warm!

Any ideas or thoughts most welcome! Thanks in advance!
What kind of vibe are you looking for? What kind of climate? What kind of activities? For example - the Point is a rather (expensive) adult place (no children under 18 allowed). The climate is pleasant in the summer for those of us seeking to get out of Florida in the summer. But Florida mosquitoes and upstate New York black flies are tied in my opinion in terms of terrible bugs I'd rather not encounter on vacation. Also - there's not a lot to do at The Point (unless you like to canoe - which we used to like).

OTOH - a place like FS Scottsdale is super cheap in the summer - but you have to be very heat tolerant to enjoy it. And the only thing worse than the heat in the summer in Scottsdale is the heat combined with the "monsoon" season (which can actually be somewhat dangerous in terms of flooding if you're not used to it). FWIW - I have family in Scottsdale - and have visited them in the summer just because it's cheap as dirt then at the Four Seasons. But I couldn't even play 9 holes of golf there at 8 am in July (it's worse than Florida).

Also - I can't particularly understand the advantage of being in an attached multi-story casita at the FS Scottsdale when it's 90+ degrees outside at 7 am. Just means you're walking to breakfast/to the valet/to the spa outside in the heat instead of through an air-conditioned corridor.

Overall - my #1 pick for great weather with not bad crowds in north America in the summer is the Pacific Northwest. Unless you have a specialty interest like diving - fishing - etc. I think it will be easier to narrow down specific properties once you narrow down locations/what you're looking for in terms of a location.

Note that we've stayed at the kind of properties you've described here in the southeast (like the villas at Callaway Gardens in Georgia - condos on Sanibel Island - etc.). But none would be appropriate for a summer vacation IMO (too hot). Robyn
Old Dec 1, 2013, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hedoman
terrible tripadvisor reviews...moaned about...it being too quiet
"too quiet" is a new one.. im not sure i can understand, whereas i can understand the comments here about being alone in a sizable aman restaurant

Originally Posted by robyng
I can't particularly understand the advantage of being in an attached multi-story casita at the FS Scottsdale when it's 90+ degrees outside at 7 am. Just means you're walking to breakfast/to the valet/to the spa outside in the heat instead of through an air-conditioned corridor
i enjoyed private swimming pool, and garage, and kitchen at sanctuary

FS hotel has private plunge pools, and residence club private rentals have parking

personally, im fine with heat when one is not soaking wet (no humidity)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 2, 2013 at 8:54 am
Old Dec 4, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: Marriott PLT, Starwood, American Gold, Delta
Just as others have said:
Inn at Blackberry Farm
Palmetto Bluff
Lake Placid Lodge
Hotel Hana Maui (another name now)

Some others:
Mauna Lani Bay (bungalows)
Tu Tu Inn (Oregon - some cottages)
Cave B Inn - Washington
Idaho Rocky Mountain Ranch - Idaho
The Swag - North Carolina
Hastings House - Salt Spring Island (Canada)
Sooke Harbor House - Vancouver Island
Canoe Bay - Wisconsin
Post Hotel - Lake Louise
Jenny Lake Lodge - Wyoming
Dunton Springs - Colorado
Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:18 pm
Original Member

The Beverly Hills Hotel
vuittonsofstyle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.