Wiki Posts
Search

Four Seasons Punta Mita or Four Seasons Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Altitude 35K
Four Seasons Punta Mita or Four Seasons Costa Rica

Hi everyone, looking for some recent comparisons of the FS Punta Mita and the FS Costa Rica. We are looking to travel next September which is the "off" seasons for both properties. We normally do the FS Hualalai yearly, so this will be something a bit different for us (and closer to Toronto).

Any feedback/suggestions would be great.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
I have been to Punta Mita many times and also to Hualalai. if you love Hualalai, then you should also love PM. I would say FS Hulalalai may have slightly better food but Punta Mita has better service and beaches IMHO. They are both great. I worry a little about the weather then. It could be hot and humid in September with some rain although I imagine you can a get a great deal then.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:38 am

I am not a fan of FS Punta Mita - probably because I don't play golf and am not travelling with children. I find the pool too crowded and the rooms uninteresting unless you go for one of the top suites. Food is so-so.

Much prefer FS Costa Rica, but it has been a while. More interesting location for sure.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I am not a fan of FS Punta Mita - probably because I don't play golf and am not travelling with children. I find the pool too crowded and the rooms uninteresting unless you go for one of the top suites. Food is so-so.

Much prefer FS Costa Rica, but it has been a while. More interesting location for sure.
That team of the year I can assure you that the pool will be empty. You will have your choice of every prime seat. In fact, the pools at PM are much less crowded than Hualalai and the becahes are far superior with plenty of palapas.

I agree with Vuitton that the food could be better, but they have excellent fresh seafood at Bahia and there are plenty of places to eat in the nearby village that are very good and much less expensive.

If you book through a FSPP, you should be able to get an upgrade to an oceanfront or beach front suite and you will avoid the base rooms. The oceanfront suites that sit on the cliff with plunge pools are very special.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:18 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
We are big Hualalai fans, and are going to FSPM in a couple weeks. In 2009, we went to the Punta Mita St. Regis, which did not impress us, but are hoping for better from the FS. We got a fantastic FSPP-only deal on an Oceanview Suite through our agent. Never been to FSCR. We have two young kids. I plan to report back.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by nnn
We are big Hualalai fans, and are going to FSPM in a couple weeks. In 2009, we went to the Punta Mita St. Regis, which did not impress us, but are hoping for better from the FS. We got a fantastic FSPP-only deal on an Oceanview Suite through our agent. Never been to FSCR. We have two young kids. I plan to report back.
Feel free to PM me if you need any advice or restaurant recommendations. We usually go to FSPM about 3x/year.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:58 am
nnn

Originally Posted by Valveking
Feel free to PM me if you need any advice or restaurant recommendations. We usually go to FSPM about 3x/year.
Thanks, Valveking. We already had the concierge make dinner reservations at the following:
  • Bahía
  • Si Señor
  • Casa Teresa
  • Rosa Mexicano
  • Sufi

We ate at Sufi on our last trip and really enjoyed it, but have not eaten at the others. Any reason to change plans?
Old Oct 7, 2013, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
Thanks, Valveking. We already had the concierge make dinner reservations at the following:
  • Bahía
  • Si Señor
  • Casa Teresa
  • Rosa Mexicano
  • Sufi

We ate at Sufi on our last trip and really enjoyed it, but have not eaten at the others. Any reason to change plans?
This is an excellent lineup. I would make one change. I would substitute a dinner at Imanta which is a beautiful resort fifteen minutes away that is a little Aman-like and has only 8 casitas for Sufi. Imanta occupies a beautiful stretch of beach in a natural setting. It is quite lovely and worth a visit for dinner. It would be like dining in a private beachfront home this time of year. Get there early to catch the sunset.

http://www.imantaresorts.com/
Old Oct 7, 2013, 4:59 pm
nnn

This is an excellent lineup. I would make one change. I would substitute a dinner at Imanta which is a beautiful resort fifteen minutes away that is a little Aman-like and has only 8 casitas for Sufi. Imanta occupies a beautiful stretch of beach in a natural setting. It is quite lovely and worth a visit for dinner. It would be like dining in a private beachfront home this time of year. Get there early to catch the sunset.

http://www.imantaresorts.com/
Thanks for the tip! Sounds excellent, but is it appropriate for kids ages 1 and 5?
Old Oct 7, 2013, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
Thanks for the tip! Sounds excellent, but is it appropriate for kids ages 1 and 5?

Not sure about that. You can check, but maybe get a sitter that night!
Old Oct 8, 2013, 7:10 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by nnn
Imanta is not kid friendly
Old Oct 10, 2013, 5:50 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Since you are traveling with kids, a villa rental at Punta Mita could also be a good option. Villas in PM are on a whole different scale than the FS (or SR) properties.

The golf course in Mexico is better, as is local food. Activities (e.g., river ride with monkeys and alligators) in Costa Rica seemed like a little more fun, though than the boat ride, dolphin swim, surfing that you'd do with the family in PM.

I wouldn't worry about hotel quality since they are both nice enough, and if you want something spectacular, a villa in Punta Mita would be the only option.

The only AAA 5* restaurant is at the StR. Not sure how it's kept that rating. Fresh handmade tortillas and fresh seafood in town was vastly superior in my opinion.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by declinespecificinformation
Since you are traveling with kids, a villa rental at Punta Mita could also be a good option. Villas in PM are on a whole different scale than the FS (or SR) properties.

The golf course in Mexico is better, as is local food. Activities (e.g., river ride with monkeys and alligators) in Costa Rica seemed like a little more fun, though than the boat ride, dolphin swim, surfing that you'd do with the family in PM.

I wouldn't worry about hotel quality since they are both nice enough, and if you want something spectacular, a villa in Punta Mita would be the only option.

The only AAA 5* restaurant is at the StR. Not sure how it's kept that rating. Fresh handmade tortillas and fresh seafood in town was vastly superior in my opinion.
The villas are awesome, but unlike Hualalai, they don't come with hotel amenities. That would be a big downside of renting one I think although they all have gorgeous pools.

I have no idea how that restaurant at the St Regis has a five star rating. If that is the case, it is wildly overrated. I agree on the fresh Mexican food in town being much better and the OP is going to several of the better ones.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Altitude 35K
That team of the year I can assure you that the pool will be empty. You will have your choice of every prime seat. In fact, the pools at PM are much less crowded than Hualalai and the becahes are far superior with plenty of palapas.

I agree with Vuitton that the food could be better, but they have excellent fresh seafood at Bahia and there are plenty of places to eat in the nearby village that are very good and much less expensive.

If you book through a FSPP, you should be able to get an upgrade to an oceanfront or beach front suite and you will avoid the base rooms. The oceanfront suites that sit on the cliff with plunge pools are very special.
Punta Mita sounds amazing. Thanks for the feedback. Flights from toronto are equally complicated at this time of year.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:12 am

The villas are awesome, but unlike Hualalai, they don't come with hotel amenities. That would be a big downside of renting one I think although they all have gorgeous pools.
The FS villas in PM do come with hotel amenities. Owners should have full access to all FS amenities. If not, they are paying far too much in homeowners' fees. Whether or not owners care to extend the amenities to renters may vary.

The FS has also opened up certain amentities to owners of non-FS villas in Punta Mita. Non-FS villa owners have access to the spa and restaurants throughout the year and during certain times of the year (paid) access to the pools is available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.